Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 447 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
What Colour Was the Old Power Torque Mufflers?
by Jeffery - 16/06/24 08:30 AM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Victa: The Triplets
by Polybus - 13/05/14 08:28 PM
Topic Replies
What Colour Was the Old Power Torque Mufflers?
by maxwestern - 16/06/24 07:06 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 07/06/24 01:05 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Bruce - 03/06/24 11:01 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Novice
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum as a poster but have been a reader for a while now. Firstly...you have a great forum going. I bought a Scott Bonnar 45 about six months back but haven't used it through winter or spring. I just tried testing it out the other day and the drive stops spinning under load. I figured it might be the clutch and I would like to get the mower working well. I would also like to get the reel and bed knife sharpened and adjusted and I wondered if you guys could recommend someone in Melbourne.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited by dramapig; 28/12/14 07:56 AM.
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi dramapig, and a warm welcome to the forum. It's always great to welcome another Scott Bonnar owner on board, as we all like to learn new things and tinker here! grin

Instructions for posting pics can be found HERE

Instructions for removing the cylinder reel and soleplate can be found HERE

The best way to find a good engineer/machinist to sharpen your reel and bedknife, is to contact your nearest Lawn Bowling club, speak to the greenskeeper and find out who sharpens their reels....Greenskeepers are usually a friendly bunch who will help you. wink

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your Scotty, once again.... :welcome: to OutdoorKing.
cheers

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Former Moderator
Hi DeeJay,

Just on a side note, many Bowling greens are going away from genuine lawns and are putting down synthetic turf, thus eliminating the services of a greens keeper and water bills.

The chap I use for my reel and blade sharpening has lost quite a few bowling clubs off his books due to this issue.

Just thought I'd bring that point up.

Cheers,
BB

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Hi BB,

I have a good mate who is a greenskeeper and lays new greens (both bowling and golf on the coast of NSW....He is at present pulling out heaps of synthetic greens of many Bowling Clubs and putting grass greens back in....Synthetic greens are not all their cracked up to be and suffer from many probs, that grass does not. wink

Maybe that will happen in Sth. Aust. in the long term. wink
cheers

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Former Moderator
Hi DeeJay,

I can only hope as I hate synthetic grass, it just doesn't look real does it ?

Cheers,
BB

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Novice
Hi Guys, thanks for the warm welcome and for the quick responses. I found a company in Cheltenham called ADE Turf that service pro greens keeper equipment including reel grinding...not sure if they are any good. Cheltenham is a bit of a hike from me so I think I will try Deejay's recommendation first and contact the local bowls club. I managed to take some snaps of my SB this afternoon so here goes... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The mower has obviously had a Briggs & Stratton motor added and the old one replaced. I have the manuals for both.

Last edited by dramapig; 29/12/14 06:12 AM.
ADE Turf certainly have the top-end gear for cylinder/bedknife grinding.

However, it's likely that they aren't the only firm who do, in the Melbourne metro area, so see if there's someone closer to you. You may have to balance convenience vs. price, though.

There are some 'bitsa' aspects to your SB45. For one, it has the captive cotter main clutch body, which was never OEM fitted to Rover-plated 45's.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Novice
Hi Gadge, which parts are you referring to? Just the clutch?

Hi Gadge, just a gentle heads-up mate, this machine could be what we describe as an early "transitional" machine...as it wears the ID plate from Rover-Scott Bonnar...and may have employed NOS Scotty parts in its construction...We have seen that on the forum in the past. wink

Seeing that the Briggs has been replaced, without the Model, Type and Code for the original engine, we may never know the approximate date of erection of this machine. wink
cheers

No worries Deejay, I was confident I'd quickly be corrected by one of the true SB experts here, if I had it wrong!

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Former Moderator
Hi Gadge, DeeJay and Dramapig

Firstly I'm not trying to push anyone while their down as that's not my style, only helping here I hope ?

I'd be pretty confident that the clutch is more than likely the last of the Alloy type captive cotter units that were used still in the early Rover days until the twin set screw unit was designed and put into production around the time of the full Rover 45 machines.

Gadge is probably in the mindset of the earlier cast iron captive cotter units that are nearly indestructible until hit with a hammer by a novice. They are the biggest gold nugget on the early SB units and I'd crawl over hot coals to gain more of them.
If you look closely at that photo you'll see that both clutch halves are alloy, which indicates it's of the later variant.

BTW Just finished a job this morning on a cast iron unit that had the cotter done up too tight and then hit with a hammer by some novice twitt (previous tenant as DJ calls them), lucky I just happened to have a spare cast iron unit on hand to keep the 20 inch solid deck all original.

Cheers,
BB

Novice
Hi Guys, would it be worth me stripping the clutch down (thanks to Deejay's videos) and posting photos? I must admit that I now feel a little disappointed with my mongrel SB shocked

I new the motor wasn't the original...looks like it might have come with a Briggs & Stratton 60152.

I would rather fix it myself if it is not too difficult.

Former Moderator
Hi Dramapig,

Before you start stripping it I would check the adjustment on the clutch cable at the chassis end, 9 times out of 10 that's where the issue lies as clutches do wear and do require adjustment.

I'm in a bit of a rush now but will answer somewhat better when I return

Novice
Hi bonnar_bloke, I didn't see your previous post when I posted my reply. I tried adjusting the clutch cable but didn't get any love. I will have another look at it during the week then. Thanks for the advice.

Former Moderator
Hi Dramapig,

Is there any slippage in the initial drive shaft clutch which is located at the end of the engine output shaft or is it just slippage in the drive train (mobility) itself ?

Cheers,
BB

Novice
Hi bonnar_bloke, I think it is in the drive shaft end as the entire drive stops spinning. If I adjust the revs or tilt the mower back it seems to re-engage intermittently. I tried adjusting the chain tension but that didn't make any difference. I will take it for a spin tomorrow and video it so that I can check afterward. I can post the video on youtube if necessary.

Hi dramapig,
What we don't want is for you you to go adjusting things 'ad-hoc'; This can lead to other problems resulting from your lack of knowledge, (which we entirely understand) and can give you a false reading of what is really the initial problem, and cause further damage to your machine wink

What we really need, is to have you on the same page as us, with regards to the correct terminology as to the drive train of your machine as such...
Here are the salient points:

(1) The cutter clutch is the one that is directly connected to the Engine PTO (Power-take -off) shaft on the right hand side, (looking from the front), painted black, round; secured by 3 screws with a nut looking at you on the inner side, ( the captive cotter-pin) when you rotate it..
This is where I believe your problem is.... wink

(2) The land-roll clutch, is located in the chain case, and is located in the chain-case under the removable cover on the extreme right-hand side (looking from the front) behind the largest sprocket in the bunch...this is the system that drives ( self propels) your machine across the lawn...and engages when you squeeze the left-hand lever on the left-hand handle bar. wink

As you have adjusted this...it may need re-adjustment to correctly position it back to where it was initially.
Similarly, the primary chain tension adjuster may have to be re-positioned to where it was initially....there must be 1/2" play in the center of the chain (roughly) and definitely not tight, this is the chain that runs to the cutter sprocket (the double one that connects to the cylinder reel) from the small 12 tooth (little) sprocket that connects to the engine PTO shaft.

Now that we are now on the "same page" as far as terminology is concerned, we can proceed to your problem...What I need to know, is exactly what is happening...Can you post all the symptoms that is occurring as you are trying to mow?

As what you are posting at present, doesn't explain your problem.
I will personally help you sort it, if you can tell me what exactly is wrong....Using the correct terminology as I have explained....If that makes sense! grin
I will get to the bottom of it....
cheers

Novice
Hi Deejay, thanks for clarifying the terminology and I certainly don't want to stuff the machine up by adjusting the wrong things. That said, I am not a complete nube with regards to motors and chain driven equipment so I had a reasonable suspicion that the cutter clutch is the issue...hence the post. I will run the mower again tomorrow and report back. Thanks for all your help as I am a complete nube when it comes to the cylinder mowers.

Hi dramapig, and thanks for reporting back.
I will look forward to your post, we can then proceed to get your machine sorted. wink
cheers

Novice
Hi Deejay, Sorry for the delay getting back to you. We have had some atrocious 40 degree days with strong winds here so have been unable to work outside. I reset everything back to the way it was. Symptoms are...when I engage the clutch lever the SB starts to move and the cutter clutch and engine shaft start spinning (as to be expected). After a few seconds or under any load, the cutter clutch outer cones continue to spin but the inner cone stops as does the engine shaft, chain, cylinder etc. I haven't touched the cutter clutch yet but thought it might be the inner cone lining. Happy to take advice from you though before I do anything. It does look like the cutter clutch is alloy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
TheGreyRider, viv5038, big hello aye, JACWEL, Mike Horsman
16,811 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,719
Posts104,663
Members16,811
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace