Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Trainee
I had a mint base, and always wanted to own one, the base is damaged and I need another tank, so I will keep my eyes open and restore it one day

a mind that is stretched never returns to the same dimensions
Membership information
Originally Posted by squizzy
i'm impressed gadge with your recount of the Mobilco / Ariens Echo story, most accurate i've read, most are pretty far off the mark. When they moved into Middleborough Rd, they where still putting together SupaSwifts in the back shed.
I'm relying almost entirely on memory, but from first-hand knowledge of the events and personalities involved, at the time it all occurred. Not from latter-day research - there is much of the story that was never documented.

So I think that ODK is an appropriate place to do that documentation. Even though it's been piecemeal so far, CyberJack and I will likely try to draw the pieces into a more coherent article/thread, at some point.

We ex-Mobilco dealers used to curse the name of Mr A.Y. Zion, the architect of Mobilco's demise, but I've come to realise that he was very much a man of his time, and just a part of the adjustments that Australia had to make.

That is, in transitioning into the real world of global competition, after decades of over-protection behind high tariff barriers.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 3
you may be right Gadge, i was to young to really understand what happened, but your right about the distain the name Mr Zion brought from Dad and his colleges.....the thing that ticks me off most i've read about what happened is the idea that Mobilco was going bad at the time, and would not had servived if he hadn't stepped in. i don't know what your take on that is mate?

I always come back to an Echo
IanOZ Offline OP
Southern Cross Registrar
Glad to see my original post the FIRST ONE is still going over 11,000 views now
Ian

Originally Posted by squizzy
you may be right Gadge, i was to young to really understand what happened, but your right about the distain the name Mr Zion brought from Dad and his colleges.....the thing that ticks me off most i've read about what happened is the idea that Mobilco was going bad at the time, and would not had servived if he hadn't stepped in. i don't know what your take on that is mate?

Mobilco wasn't going bad at all, as a company!

In fact it was the star of the Pizzey Limited empire, I believe, in terms of return on investment [aka ROI], and profits.

The other Pizzey operations - some listed in an old post of mine HERE - were another story; in particular some import/distribution businesses that the Pizzey family had started up.

This was in a desperate attempt to diversify their business risks, after the import tariff barriers were dropped, by the Whitlam Government in the early 1970's.

Mr Zion did make a decent try to keep the Group running, and then to facilitate a management buyout of Mobilco, before selling it all up, I think. But the Mobilco managers couldn't get the financial backing for a buyout - the value of the Mobilco head office and branch property holdings may have had a big influence there.

I do know for a fact, that Tom Burke, the Mobilco Shepparton Branch Manager [and one of the Ariens Echo Aust foundation partners], did buy the Shepparton Branch premises. He leased it out for some years afterwards, and sold it on eventually.

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Originally Posted by IanOZ
Glad to see my original post the FIRST ONE is still going over 11,000 views now
Ian

grin SupaSwift are one of the truly iconic Australian manufacturers, I reckon. So we should document what we can, while we can!

Cheers,
Gadge

1 member likes this: Random Brad Creator
Apprentice level 3
Tom did an amazing job of transforming Creeks old building in Middleborough Rd into the new home of Ariens Echo back in the 80's , then he ran Valpadana and Graverly from the back shed, i think he may have even have bought those to brands as well.

I used to see him reguarly at field days with his Australian Tractors buisness ,

Yep, Tom was a very good businessman indeed. As well as a very nice bloke; truly one of 'Nature's gentlemen'.

We went to the auction, when the Mobilco Shepparton Branch equipment was sold up.
Bought a couple of major workshop items that I can remember; a chainsaw bar reconditioning grinder [which could dress the rails and recut the groove], and an Andersen oil-fired steam cleaner. I think we may have bought a 'Demon' oil-fired workshop heater, too. That was great to have in our 'tin shed' workshop - we'd set it up under a ceiling fan, to blow the warm air downwards!

I ended up with the steam cleaner after the family business was sold, and kept it for quite a few years. Eventually sold it off in 1992, when I took up a job that would involve 'working away' for as long as it lasted, which turned out to be two and a half years. It was a very well built unit, and did a great job on shifting crud from filthy motors and farm machines.

Cheers,
Gadge

Trainee
I seem to be getting a large collection of the supa swifts, I will photograph them, I am going to do a couple of restos as well.
cheers
chris

Apprentice level 3
If your collecting them, i'll keep an eye to the ground for you, they often turn up on nature strips around here. eek

Trainee
cool, I like what I like and there a cool mower
thanks
chris

De-registered
hi all having not seen the supaswift thread move for a while thought I might add my supaswift edger , if its not meant to be here please just move it to the edger section , I just thought supaswift collectors might be intrested.
it seems well made has a cast alloy blade cover and leaver behind motor puts the edger at quite a tilt

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

thanks all damo aussie

Forum Historian
Hello Damo,

I've never seen a SupaSwift edger before.
It looks very solid. I'm guessing late 1980s?

-----------------------------------
JACK

Apprentice level 4
I've had this one for a little while. Was umming and ahhring about whether or not to gt it going. I have always found side discharge mowers hard to sell on in the city so thought I may use the engine for something and scrap the base. Saw this thread the other day and it inspired me to have a play with it and WOW! what a solid machine! bigshock Once I got it running it just PLOWED through the pig weed I have in the back. did the whole back and front yard in less than half the time it usually takes (A shame since I was going to test the keystart commando today too) but I just couldn't stop! Runs so smooth too. It runs as smooth as a 4 stroke honda but that lovely high pitch sound you only get with a 2 stroke.

It apparently has always been hard to start and hasn't run in years ... WELL new fuel in the tank (50:1), new spark plug and remove the air filter (REALLY badly clogged up) and way she went! I tried to clean up the filter but it just disintegrated in my hands soooo now I need to find where I can get a filter for it OR it looks like a honda gxv120 filter housing may actually bolt up to the carby pretty easily (Look a bit odd though).

Now I think I may just keep this little wonder boy for myself. Sounds awesome going through the rev ranges. It is the most responsive throttle I've ever seen on a mower. It's like revving a motor bike!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CyberJack; 25/07/15 10:32 PM.
De-registered
hi jack yes the edger is a good solid machine 80s is my guess too for year of manufacture will have to check engine cover stamp date.

Ihatewetsocks that mower sure looks like a beast , maybe a big Tecumseh 4hp two stroke engine.
its amazing that with some tlc a old mower that's already done a lot of work can be made to run as good as new again well done

cheers all damo good1

Last edited by dodegy; 25/07/15 03:33 AM.
Pushrod Honda preferrer
The mower has a Yamaha engine, the same as this one:

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...p;Words=yamaha&Search=true#Post11309

Here is some detail on a similar Yamaha, the MT110 (it may be the same engine, though the top of the cowl looks slightly different):

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...p;Words=yamaha&Search=true#Post61173

De-registered
Dug out a mower today to give a run and thought I would add some pics , I believe its a supaswift going by the frame wheels ect but the [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
deck is named tudor .
I know its been re engined at some time in its life, and am not sure what the original motor would have been , I have a couple of kirbys that I,m going to do up and think would be a good match for it and may have been fitted when new. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It has a unusual catcher , colour is sun faded now but I think would have been a brighter pink .
its a well made mower built to last
damo aussie

Qualified Senior
that is one awesome looking catcher on that machine.seems to have the same way of attaching to the mower as all the supa swifts catchers ive seen?
i still havent managed to find a suitable catcher for mine. before i got it a had seen quite a few of them. if i only i had known at that time i would get one without a catcher i could have saved myself some grief.
i do like how the supa swifts stand or pose or whatever youd call it .they are strongly built and impressive looking.
i wonder if the pink catcher was supposed to be a lure for the ladies ,like the victa purple and coloured vc series.

If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Forum Historian
He Dodegy, Gizmo and All

Yep, these are not common at all.
The catcher does look like it was designed by a space cadet, like the
incredible ones from Turner. I might add, these were made by Nylex Plastics.

The Tudor was the entry-level Supa-Swift - the economy model.
p.s. I wonder if the Briggs is a re-power? It seems odd that so many
colours would be used on a new model - though not impossible...

-----------------------------
JACK

[Linked Image]

De-registered
hi jack gizmo and odk members
thanks for the comments, jack the reason I think it has been re-engined is that it has 9/16 nuts as spaces on the mounting bolts between deck and motor, and the engine is slightly off-set , the spark plug is not exactly dead ahead ????.
amazing this is the economy model when compared with todays economy models , bunnings 16inch sprinter briggs motor , lawn beetle ect , theirs no comparison.
maybe my Kirby motors are a bit to old for her, I have a later model Kirby with the plastic tank I could use , may be I should just leave it with the briggs as it runs like a clock , jack thanks for posting the supaswift add .
cheers2damo

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794