Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
blue Offline OP
Novice
Hi,
"Inherited" an old Victa from my chiropractor, used it for about a year. Great mower because it always started with half a pull :-), but no catcher with it though.

Model details (printed on mower):
Pace - 160 Premier (Mark 2 - 70 series)
Based on some messages on this board, its got a metal carby (G3 I think) with the black governor sticking out the top). Very thick chassis compared to other 70 series I have seen. Has adjustable angle handles, using a plastic gear mating system.

Victa helpline reckons it is 1968-74, but they also recommended a CJ8 spark plug, when it's definitely a long plug. :-(

The last 2 times used, it started to sound bad so thought getting my old man to look over it and maybe a rebuild was a good idea.

Done so far/observed:
a. Cleaned about 3mm of dirt and oil from around the engine, could of been overheating.
b. Repaired hole in air snorkel tube, lots of crap stuck at entrance to carby.
c. Decompressor was not working, amazing is worked well enough to cut grass. Dad put in new gauze (old one decomposed) and reseated the valve, now works well.
d. Put back together, no start [Linked Image] Couldn't get a spark at all.
e. Pulled flywheel off, points fine and everything else looks 'ok'.
f. Dad pulled the cylinder off, turns out the piston's hole for the gudgeon pin was elongated about 1-2mm!!! Amazing it didn't sound like a jack hammer, maybe survived due to stuffed decompressor.
g. Conrod, bearing etc. all seem fine.
h. Finally got very small spark by touching lead against fins, not strong enough to jump spark plug gap.
i. Automatic cut-off switch from throttle doesn't work.

Questions:
1. What specific model would it be called? Any idea on which particular year it was made?
2. Does anyone have appropriate service/repair manuals for the engine, carby & actual mower? I assumed I would of found this info on the net, maybe at a Victa enthusiasts site, but couldn't find anything (nor a club site).
3. Need new piston and presumably, new cylinder as well, does that sound right?
4. Any ideas on the spark issue? Could it be a clapped out condenser? How do I check?
5. How to fix the cut-off switch not working?
6. Any idea on how to source a catcher? Other 70 series catchers are too wide, and it looks like the catcher attaches to the handle. Might be older than others.

Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way. I'd love to keep the old beast, it seems to be very well made, and would hate to get one of those flimsy new mowers.

BlueMM

Apprentice level 3
Do you have an email address????// I can send you some pics or you can send me some if you have a Dig camera. Some of the good pace models had a catcher with wheels on and a fold up handle. Maybe one down at my junk heap . I will have a look for you next tim I go down. Just wrecked a side throw Pace yesterday/////////// Great fun wrecking after years of fixing LOL Joe

Joe
Repair Junkie
Blue,
I have sent you information on the G3 carby. In regards to the spark I would be replacing both the points & condensor. The cylinder & piston we can supply as well as points etc.

On the air filter housing you should find a sticker let me know the numbers on it.

The information that I have sent you should help with the cut-off problem. Just make sure you look at everything especially where the cut-off wire goes.

You can send me pictures just by clicking on moderator.

Regards,

Bruce [Linked Image]

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
blue Offline OP
Novice
Thanks Guys,
Joe: My email is bluemm1975-bb_AT_yahoo.com (replace _AT_ with @). I'll get my Dad to take a photo, since it is at his place (about 30 minutes from you). What's your email so I can send? My brother has a friend (~26) who has the peach can Victa, who lives in Sale as well.

Bruce, thanks for the G3 pdf. Hopefully I can get the switch working again [Linked Image]
I'll get Dad to find the number on the filter, and I'll forward you a photo.
Do you have any pdf's on servicing the electrics and/or engine?
Cheers, BlueMM

Apprentice level 3
Hi Blue I just typed in your address to send email but it was rejected My email is niteglo@vic.australis.com.au so if you email me I can copy your addres out Regards Joe

Joe
blue Offline OP
Novice
Hi Joe & Bruce,
There was no model number (or any remains of) on the air filter. Dad took some photos of it, without the engine since it's in the shed on a engine stand. Photos were a little big to send through email, so I uploaded them to http://bluemm.blogspot.com/2005/10/victa-pace-160-premier-mower.html
By clicking on each image, you can see it in its full size.

Repair Junkie
blue,
The spark plug that you require is a chapion N21. The grass catcher to suit your machine is model 17. As to the year it would be hard without the Model number which starts with the letter V. If I have that I can tell you the year it was made.

Regards,

Bruce [Linked Image]

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Apprentice level 3
Hi Blue. I had a look at the pics on the Blogg Site, Very good quality pics. i must look into that side of computering. The mower has the look of a Store brand to me . I will have a look around my junkyard and seeif there is anything like it . The catcher I am sure fits on to the white plastic sleeve and that what gives the impression of a Storebrand model Regards Joe

Joe
blue Offline OP
Novice
Bruce:
Thanks about the spark plug & especially the catcher, at least I now have something to ask about [Linked Image] You wouldn't know of a good way to locate a No.17??
Are there any reference books around that I could lookup to try and track down the model num of the mower??
Dad's starting to put the engine back together, do you have any PDF's on service/repair of the 160 engine??
Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated.

Joe:
Pics are all Dad's doing, can't take any credit for that one. But I did add it to the Blog, which took all of about 6 clicks and a bit of typing.
Yeah, the catcher fitting onto that white plastic sleeve sounds right to me, you wouldn't have one in the "junkyard" by any chance?? Or a few tips on tracking one down??
When you say "Storebrand", do you mean like a department type store, as opposed to a Victa dealer??

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll quit it with the 1000 questions soon enough [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by blue (edited 14 October 2005).]

Apprentice level 3
Hi Blue I have been quiet on the catcher as was not down the junkyard at all over the weekend and looks like Friday next now Regards Joe

Joe
Apprentice level 3
Hi Blue sorry co catcher to suit your model and could not find a Pace Premier there at all. Prety sure your was a storebrand model.Storebrands were made in batches od so many and you could get your own firms name on them or they would be turned out to use up old components Did finf a Victa chassis with what looks to be mounting holes for a Villiers 7F engine but that will be another topic Joe

Joe

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
BigFish1972, LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury
16,846 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace