Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Apprentice level 4
Hi, I'm Mystyler, and I have a problem.

I just can't bare to see oddball old mowers potentially head to scrap. That's not the problem, the problem is I'm out of storage space now!

Found this Pope 320-04 on Facebook Market Place. They originally had TWO for sale, but someone beat me to the other one. I would have bought both!

However, sometimes lady luck in on your side. The husband of the lady selling remembered there was a spare motor in a box with spares. I now have two Pope 125cc rotary valve motors, some seals, bearings, pistons and rings, magnetos, exhaust and some NOS blades! Unreal.

I also paid the most I ever have for the lot. Unfortunately, I think the chap that bought the one before I did may have clued them on to the fact they're a bit "special". Nevermind, they were nice to deal with and we had a bit of a chat about current events.

They belonged to the husband's father. I suspect that he was a contractor as he had two of the same machines, stacks of spares and a complete spare motor. Also, it looks like it has been "used hard and put away wet". I cleaned most of the crap out from it and wiped it down with INOX as an interim measure.

Considering that, It isn't in too bad a condition. A snapped handlebar base bolt, replacement wheels (at least they're white - maybe from later Popes?) and no high-lift blade carrier or windrower. It has the side throw catcher and original spanner located in its holder on the handle bar. 3 of the 4 wheel height adjustment stickers are in good condition, but 3 of the adjuster caps are missing. Original decals still visible. If you look closely under the deck it has a custom (I think!) exhaust system.

Motor will pull over, but the tank has a lovely layer of oily sludge at the bottom. Don't know if she will start but I'm not going to try that just yet.

Looking to get her looking her best again and back into limited service.

Attached Images
DSC_0129-01a.jpg (273.45 KB, 225 downloads)
The motor "Mystery Box."
DSC_0131-01a.jpg (276.91 KB, 224 downloads)
Some NOS and spare blades.
DSC_0134-01a.jpg (298.21 KB, 222 downloads)
I reckon this was worked hard and put away wet...
DSC_0136-01a.jpg (292.81 KB, 221 downloads)
Sweet custom 'zorst.
DSC_0137-01a.jpg (175.9 KB, 338 downloads)
This must have looked amazing new. That colour and lettering...
DSC_0139-01a.jpg (423.08 KB, 225 downloads)
What a weapon. She's a big girl.
Last edited by Mystyler; 09/05/20 11:39 PM. Reason: Grammar mistakes!

I don't collect mowers. I just require Multiple Mowing Solutions™.
Membership information
Junior Technician
Nice find. I'd setup a molasses bath, easy. Then work on the motor....
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
wce Offline
Qualified Senior
Looks great Mystyler !

G'day Mystyler,

Good score, again.

That machine has undergone a mod or two, not surprisingly for a workhorse mower. You've noticed the exhaust extension pipe - the muffler appears original.

Also, the blade disc has been changed, probably when the OEM type blades went NLA. The original setup had a disc with slots in it, to enhance the 'fan action', and three thick, reversible blades. As shown in this past 320-04 thread; https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=55231

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 4
That retro '50s charm...

Speedy, I had thought about electrolysis for this one, but I might get it professionally done. I'm not spending a whole heap on the VC Auto Drive, (it doesn't really need it) so that will free up funds to be directed at this.

wce and Gadge, thank you.

I'm going to measure up the decal on the deck, and see if I can get it replicated by someone who knows what they're doing! This certainly deserves as full a resto as I can possibly give it. The blades sit below the deck "skirt", so I'll move heaven and earth to try to get the proper carrier for it. Even if I can get a replica engineered, I think it's worth it for this one. And original wheels. I found a 320-05 rebuild thread that is going to be the benchmark for this one. I also found a brilliant thread on non original substitute parts for Southern Cross KX mowers. They bear more than a passing resemblance to the 320.

I'm starting to think it might be a 320-02, with an 04 engine. I popped the air filter off and it's very clean, another bonus. Felt is in good condition too. The tickler on the carb moves freely, but the fuel tap has me a beaten. I can't tell if it's a twist or push/pull action. I'm really itching to see if I can get it to fire.

G'day Mystyler,

Have you seen this History Record thread on the 320's?

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=59826

Even includes a PDF Owner Manual - which says that the fuel tap is push-pull. On that vintage of mower, it will have a cylindrical cork seal, not o-rings. Replacement seals are still available through the ODK Shop.
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/engines...r-fuel-parts/victa-fuel-tap-cork-ha25031

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Apprentice level 4
Cheers Gadge, I have. I speed read over the fuel tap part in my excitement.

I had another go today, but it seems stuck fast. I undid the nut a bit and couldn't see in cork in there, but there was a spring.

I will hopefully have more time tomorrow to give it a proper go.

Apprentice level 4
Oh dear, it looks like I have broken the metal gauze fuel filter that was sitting in the collection point of the fuel tank. The layer of varnish is incredible. No rust though!

I pulled the head off today. It was dry and a bit carbony, but still had lovely cross hatch markings and no scoring from what I could see.

Poured some oil down there and let it sit for a bit. Gave the flywheel a few half turns to get the oil everywhere. It certainly helped the compression...!

Unfortunately though, no spark. That could be a billion things, so that's something for later.

Last edited by Mystyler; 14/05/20 06:01 PM.

Apprentice level 4
My friends, she is alive. Need to sort out the timing, but this was an exercise in, "let's just see if..."

Forum Historian
G'day Mystyler and all papal people
My parents first power mower was a Pope, and I have
admired them ever sense. [both parents and their mowers]

Pope were the first to use the deep pressing on the base.
Other makers took a while to realise that taller skirts led to
better cutting and catching efficiency.

Out of all the big names in the day, only Pope never made
a high-arch lawnmower! Reason: no need to.

The thing that stands out for me was the early use of a
true front and back double-skirt. Notice how these inner skirts
protect feet at front and rear of the mower. How many other
companies did that at that time!?

Cheers and thanks
-------------------------------
Jack

p.s. that's interesting muffler under-deck ducting laugh

G'day all,
Originally Posted by CyberJack
My parents first power mower was a Pope, and I have admired them ever sense.
Interestingly enough, my family's first power mower was also a 320-04.

My old man kept its predecessor too, though it was relegated to cutting/catching grass as 'green feed' for the chooks.
That one was also a Pope - a yellow Wimbledon!

Cheers,
Gadge

Apprentice level 4
Yes Jack, "interesting" is one way to describe it!! Thankfully the nut that supports the bracket is rusted on good and proper. On another run today, it picked up some leaves at about 1/3 throttle and spat them a good 4m away. It must have been one wicked machine in its day. I do see why it may just have been, "The best mower money can buy!"

Tried to have a go at setting the timing today, as per the instruction manual. Was actually worse than where I had just plonked it on yesterday. It really didn't want to go much above 1/3 throttle and I wasn't going to push it. I suspect the error is that of the user, it wanted to be set MORE advanced than full advance. confused This aspect is not super-user friendly, and I blame Wipac (and thus the Brits. grin )

It's a right bugger to do, since the metal plate is only held on by two bolts, it's easy to rotate it just a tad too for and then tip it off balance slightly. Simple in theory, annoy in practice.

It also seems that the flywheel is lightly scuffing the coil. It looks to be the magnets. There is really no way to actually set the air gap, and it isn't mentioned anywhere I can see. Ideas...?

Apprentice level 4
Oooooh. I see what I dun. The instructions I had were for the Wico 1500Z, not the Series 161. Still, the question about the flywheel scuffing stands. blush

Apprentice level 4
I'm starting to think it's an - 03. I've just opened The Magical Box of Motor Mystery and discovered the other, original, "rebuilt" motor is a 12 finned (well, 11 - what is it with me and dodgy flywheels?) 1500Z type.

I also discovered the reason for cut down bolts on the handle bar anchor adjustment points. The later carb with snorkel doesn't seem to fit with the earlier setup as there isn't enough clearance between the filter and the bolt head.

Still can't figure out why I'm getting contact with the flywheel on the later engine. I've also now popped the filter housing back on and she won't start. Ran out of daylight, so that is a problem for next time.

Forum Historian
Hi Mystyler
That Pope manual I published some time ago has proven
invaluable.

I feel you would make a top-notch garden machinery historian! smile

The devil is in the detail and many folks seem to forget that
these are OLD mowers - that changes, repairs, and mods do occur.

If you feel that the Topic heading should change [to 320-03], please let
me know. It's pretty clear you know what you're doing.

Cheers
-----------------------
Jack

Apprentice level 4
Hello Jack,

There is still much I don't know. wink But I do doubt it is an -04. That manual is indeed priceless. I'll have another read and see what I've got. When I'm 100% convinced I'll get you to change the title, thank you.

So today was awesome.

I was sick of having no real luck with getting the Wipac 161 timed properly, but more so concerned I couldn't stop the flywheel contacting something. I pulled the other motor out of its box, and rather than pull everything else apart, I decided to swap the flywheel and magneto assembly over. The FW1500Z needs a separate cam to activate the points, so that was swapped out as well. A bit of grease on the felt pad, timing set as best as I could manage and we were away!

Next was trying to fit the air filter and snorkel back on and back together. Unfortunately, when I originally removed it the whole thing fell to pieces before I could see how it all went together. Turns out I had installed the filter itself backwards in the cannister. It fits fine, but clearly doesn't allow enough air through. Now we were ready to cut grass!

In my keenness, I didn't pay any attention to the height settings. Thankfully, it only took a couple of mm off the Buffalo! I like growing it long as it doesn't get much sun in winter and needs as much leaf area as it can get. And what a weapon of a machine it is. I think I was only around 2/3rds throttle and it had no problems at all. God only knows when the blades were last changed as well. This thing is a keeper, the slim chance that I'd sell it on is now absolutely zero.

Also got around to fitting some "new" treads. I'm a hubcap down, but it is so much better proportioned with the original wheels and it just seems nicer to push. They're a pain to fit, a split pin through a nut. I wouldn't want to do it too often either, I pulled a bit of rubber off on one while removing the hubcap. Day turned to night but I couldn't wait to share a photo.

Now just to decided what else I should do with it. I actually really love the used look. Thinking about just hitting it with a wire wheel under the deck, cleaning, degreasing and clear coating the living crap out of it. I need to go back to the fixing shop to get a shorter bolt for the left hand side of the handle bar so as not to foul the filter.

Here she is on the maiden mow after I don't know how long. The rattle you hear turned out to be the spanner jumping in its holder on the handlebar.

Attached Images
DSC_0046-01a.jpg (290.44 KB, 63 downloads)
Looking pretty darn original!
Last edited by Mystyler; 11/06/20 09:29 PM.

wce Offline
Qualified Senior
Hi Mystyler

This one looks like a wreck and I doubt whether people will fight to get it at the price, Might have the blade disc and a few useful bits on it ? Might be able to ask the seller to take some parts off ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taree/lawn-mowers/vintage-pope-rotary-valve-mower/1250243905

cheers
wce

Apprentice level 4
wce, thank you for the heads up. Might be worth an enquiry. The more spares the better.

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653
Members16,804
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019