Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by Jeffery - 30/05/24 05:19 AM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#87509 14/08/17 08:37 PM
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
G'day all,
I'm going through an intensive (quick, but thorough) rebuild of what I assume is an old Tractor 8 I've recently purchased.
A little background info...
I usually run an old (12hp) Cox which I heavily modified to use a 20hp B&S engine. After lending it to a tenant of our property I purchased a Greenfield to save juggling the Cox between us.
The purchase was made while I was away with work so apart from two photos online, I had no idea what I was buying.
After hunting through these forums, I half figured out what it was and set out purchasing a few items. The rest have been sourced and purchased over the last week during the build.

The question is, would it be of value if I laid out some of the finer details/specs of bearings, etc. For others looking for the info.
A few of the parts I've tried to obtain are now obsolete.

P. S. Happy to post a few shots of the Greenfield build/final product wherever appropriate if anyone is interested. It's appearance and power is far from original though.....

Jason.

Last edited by CyberJack; 22/09/17 04:46 AM. Reason: Topic heading.

Cheers,
Jason
Membership information
Repair Junkie
Hi Jaylog,

I am sure that all the members would love to see the pictures of the ride on if you have them. Also have you looked at the parts list area HERE to see if you can match up your model? cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Thanks Bruce. Yes, I've subscribed and downloaded the parts manual which was a large help.

Righto, I'll endeavor to get on my computer and upload a few images over the next few days.

Cheers,
Jason
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Righto, I think I've got attaching photos from my phone worked out.
Here are a few before and current photos of the Greenfield.
It's undergone a full set of bearings, new clutch corks, new motor and full fresh fabricated body. I tend to overdo things crazy

Next up will be the final body work, paint and refit the cutting deck. The deck pulley was damaged and is being replaced by a modified generic pulley of the same dimensions. It's awaiting final machining before fitment.

I'll post bearing details, etc. Shortly

Attached Images
IMAG0787-800x600.jpg (174.44 KB, 150 downloads)
IMAG0783-800x600.jpg (181.06 KB, 150 downloads)
IMAG0790-800x600.jpg (183.63 KB, 149 downloads)
IMAG0868-800x600.jpg (130.61 KB, 148 downloads)
Screenshot_20170820-195645~2-800x479.png (563.03 KB, 149 downloads)
IMAG0871-800x600.jpg (103.01 KB, 146 downloads)

Cheers,
Jason
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
And yes, the last photo shows twin flip-out Stubby holders

Cheers,
Jason
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Okay, the finer details as promised.
The following will be the bearing number filled by where it's used.
For the 4 idler pulleys, I split them by drilling out the spot welds/rivets and replaced the bearings rather than spending $200 on a full set of idlers.

6206 - GT393 - 1 in the centre thrust bearing.
6204 - GT395 - 1 each for the 2 clutch discs, 2 in the cutter spindle.
6203 - GT396 - 1 in the drive belt adjustment/idler pulley
6202 - (to suit GT1008 & GT1009) - 1 each (4 total) in the two flat drive belts idlers and two V cutter idler pulleys.

GT392 - lay shaft bearings) is a 303 bearing with AS202-1010D1 on the box

The only bearings yet to remove and replace are the rear axle and front wheel bearings which I'll do next month when time is on my side again.

Flat Drive idlers 2-5/8" diameter of the running surface
V Cutter idlers 4-1/4" OD

The cutting deck pulley was a generic 8" B section pulley from CBC. It came with a 1/2" bore and a large boss on one side. I've bored, tapped and machined off party of the boss to suit. Prior to fitment I'll probably break/round of the edges as the pulley groove is quite sharp and won't suit the twist of the belt.
I'll post the part number once the invoice shows itself again, haha.

If anyone comes across cutting deck pulley dramas and heads in the same direction as I have, I'll be happy to lend out my 3/4 LH UNF tap set to suit (to a reputable ODK member) with a refundable deposit.

Cheers,
Jason
Forum Historian
And yes, the last photo shows twin flip-out Stubby holders
Hello JayLog and Bruce
Yep, the images are great.

I am compelled to say that you have given us the first example of "twin flip-out Stubby holders".
I mean twin stubby holders is one thing; but flip-out is the next level - sort of a Batman area ...
The seat is not out of place on a custom project at all.

The question is, would it be of value if I laid out some of the finer details/specs of bearings, etc. For others looking for the info.
A few of the parts I've tried to obtain are now obsolete.

My view is that this topic belongs in the Customisation Forum, and I hope to
move it their shortly.

Yes, to your question! I am always surprised just how popular customisation projects are.
I feel if you tell your story you may well help other folks - and this makes for a great read.

Please keep us informed.

Amazing!
-----------------------------
Jack

JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Originally Posted by CyberJack
My view is that this topic belongs in the Customisation Forum, and I hope to
move it their shortly.

Yes, to your question! I am always surprised just how popular customisation projects are.
I feel if you tell your story you may well help other folks - and this makes for a great read.

Please keep us informed.

Amazing!
-----------------------------
Jack

Cheers Jack.
I did go off topic after mentioning the rebirth.
More than happy to move/split the thread

Cheers,
Jason
Forum Historian
Hi Jaylog
Just keep telling your story here.
There is every chance you will help others!

I have learn't that members LOVE customisation products - from coffee tables
to rat-rotaries. It's an odd thing.

These great forums do a have a core group of ride-on lovers.
Most appreciate 'special' projects.

Life is pretty straight without a Twistie.
-------------------------------------------------------
Jack

prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
G'day Jaylog and Jack,

Jaylog! That is flippin' brilliant!! Absolutely first class! Can't wait for the photos of the finished article. You are obviously well handy with tin (sheetie by trade?). Also a v handy bloke on the spanners too! Excellent idea on the idler pulley repair.

Many thanks for the bearing list. Will be a handy ready reference for us all. Thanks also for the offer of the use of the tap.

Re: the stubby holders......one of the things I love about my Tractor is that it only requires one hand to operate (steer) and so never feel the need to put the stubby down smile

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 21/08/17 07:29 PM.
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Thanks bud, glad you like it. I'm not a sheet metal hand but do own a selection of sheet tools; shrinker/stretcher, a 5ft pan brake, 4ff sheet roller, 700mm throat bead roller and a selection of shears and other hand tools for sheet work, along with a lathe, Mill, plasma and various welding equipment. I'm self taught in everything I do but have been playing with metal since I was about 12.

No dramas on the bearing list/tap offer It's my way of giving back after lurking/hunting through the forums for other info. I've got a bunch of machining tools and a LH 3/4" set isn't something most will have on hand. Strangely it makes up part of my inventory.

I do love a beverage so that is why the twins are installed. To mow the area I do normally takes two solid 6-7hr days maneuvering around the 800 recently planted area natives we've reintroduced through trees of life.
One hand on the wheel means I can have one in the other hand, one in my lap and two in the holders (which will be insulated) and will mean a "fuel stop" is in order for myself and machine when one of us runs dry.

A lot of folk would say i'd be better off with a zero turn but I can't justify the expense over the relaxation/only needing one hand to operate wink

It'll be a few weeks before I can show any real progress but I'll keep updates coming when I get back into it.

Cheers,
Jason
prd Offline
Evening Jaylog,

I believe envy is one of the seven deadly sins but envy it is......sigh......To have such a collection of shop gear........how I wish.......
But perhaps I too can start to build a decent collection of gear. Finally I've finished building this place, cars are paid off and the daughter is now of age and is supporting her own horse habit. In fact both daughters are officially off our hands!

800 trees! Wow! That is a LOT of trees to mow round! I thought all Christmas' had come at once when the wife turned up with 80 trees, shrubs and plants various at the end of last year (local TAFE shifting all the stuff the horticulture students had propagated during the year). Seriously though, well done you for putting in that many trees.

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 22/08/17 07:44 PM.
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Alright gents,
After a few late nights with the tape and butchers paper, final assembly has begun.
I plan on having it complete late tonight and take it to our property for testing tomorrow.

Attached Images
IMAG0959-800x600.jpg (166.91 KB, 86 downloads)
IMAG0973-800x600.jpg (127.6 KB, 88 downloads)
IMAG0975-800x600.jpg (155.73 KB, 88 downloads)

Cheers,
Jason
prd Offline
Oh, JayLog!

I LOVE, LOVE it! It's friggin' beautiful!

The most serious, intense (in a good way smile ), and positively beautiful example of machine/art fusion!

A bloke called David Walsh has a bit of a gallery smile in Hobart. Your machine would fit right in!

And you intend to USE the machine !! I'd suggest you will need to hand out neck braces to passers by as the head-turn effect will cause severe whiplash! smile

Forum Historian
Hi Jaylog and prd
I can't better prd's comments on your work. Stunning!

I have moved this topic to the Customization forums - where
this project belongs.

A piece of art.
---------------------------
Jack

JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Cheers for the kind words PRD.

Jack,
Hmmmm, whilst I agree it needed moving, I don't think I've turned it into a "coffee table" it's still a ride-on and still gets used as originally intended.
The unusual projects forum isn't what it is. It's still a ride-on.

Cheers,
Jason
JayLog Offline OP
Novice
Sooooo i managed to finalise assembly last night and take the FrankenMower to our property for a trial run.

To say I'm happy with its performance would be an understatement!
In 40 minutes I managed to comfortably mow an area the Cox (when standard) would take almost 2hrs to do.
The Cox in its current 20hp configuration would still take a little over an hour to do the area.

Here's a couple of shots after a quick run around the place. I didn't get any action shots but will be spending a bit of time on the seat this Saturday.

Attached Images
IMAG0980-1200x900.jpg (283.17 KB, 66 downloads)
IMAG0981-1200x900.jpg (298.77 KB, 67 downloads)
IMAG0983-1200x900.jpg (278.98 KB, 66 downloads)
IMAG0979-1200x900.jpg (320.28 KB, 64 downloads)

Cheers,
Jason
Forum Historian

Apprentice level 2
Great job love it
Cheers Ken

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics