Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Dandare), 66 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#111080 06/03/21 11:16 PM
Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Gave a guy a scrap mower a few days ago (have actually given a few away recently) - Chonda for parts to fix one he was given.

Made the mistake of saying the tip shop can (occasionally) be a good source of parts.

Since his eyes lit up I immediately asked if he is married. Told him if if he values it (or his life) he will stay as far away from the tip as possible as I can guarantee it will fuel an addiction and he will soon be up to his eyeballs in mowers.

Laughed and said he doesn't have addictive personality.

Got a call today to say the mower parts worked; and the tip was great; he bought 2 mowers there. Then picked one up on the curb driving home; and is going to pick up a 70's Rover tomorrow

It's starting...

Can't say I didn't warn him

Portal Box 6
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I don't have an addictive personality and I've had a mower accumulation problem coming on 17 years. Get rid of a heap after causing friction in the household, regret it for " all the parts I got rid of", then build up a collection again as an attempt to fill that void you caused.
You made a big mistake alright. You've changed his life for good. Funny thing is if you're willing to give them away, someone else will quickly come along and grab them..
Fake a rubbish pile out front with other stuff and watch them grow legs. It's a testament to how rarely I see mowers in a rubbish pile. They attract the opportunists first.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
He would have worked it out soon enough MF - he lives 5 minutes down the road; which doubles the problem with convenient access.

Hope the Rover keeps him occupied though

I am currently managing to only add 2 strokes to the collection; helps keep numbers down. That being said, I added a Masport Quantum 50 a few weeks ago, then got given a fully functional Victa Tornado PT due to them downsizing to a unit without lawn, then bought the Mustang GTS

And I was going so well before that - only one I can remember in 2020 at all I have kept is a Victa Vantage (was only on the verge 30 seconds when I got it). And a 1960s Victa Commander (everything else has ether been sold or given away aside a few line trimmers floating around).

Edit; Did buy 3 mowers for $20 the other month - FC contessa with stuffed deck, PT with a solid deck I may tuck away and a Rover (Baron) VP 3.5 B&S which runs. Was going to scrap the deck, but its too good to get rid of.

Gave 1 guy 2 mowers, then about 5 trimmers and blowers (but that could have been 2019 because I don't remember any of the covid happening.)

The issue is I know in ten years all we will be getting is B&S ohv motors and Chondas - so its sort of a case of 'making hay whilst the sun still shines'

Last edited by Tyler; 07/03/21 01:03 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler,
We don't realize that we are in a period of time that is the end of an era. 2 stroke mowers have been with us for as long as most of us have been alive and their demise will pick up speed and as you say will be almost non existant in 10 years apart from in collections

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Too bad those can't be counted as family members on you taxes.

Oh I got a load that need to go to the recyclers too. Some customers just don't understand that many mowers are not worth repairing and most times the parts I need are the same ones already removed from every one of the mowers.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi AVB,
I ended up fixing a Chonda for a bloke a few days ago, mower looked nearly new but somebody had taken the coil off, story was the plug cap got broken. I said I would fix it but as usual once you start working on it you find it has carby problems and somebody has played with the governor and that is working backwards.Then the throttle cable has been damaged and the cable is specific to that Sanli model, so to be able to fit a standard cable I had to cut a cable bracket off another scrap pile motor and weld that onto the bracket so I could mount the new cable A simple job of refitting the coil with a new plug cap turns into several hours before you can get them running correctly. Nobody wants to pay the money to repair this stuff so from now on with these Chondas I'm just going to say it is going to cost them $100 if they want me to fix it, if not just take it away. I'm done with trying to help people out.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi all

That's what I say Norm ,I can fix your mower but for the same price I can give you another mower
that's just had a service or they can go to a mower shop and be charged a minimum of $150 .

Some people realize the good deal they are getting and give you their old mower for free.

I had a guy on Friday knock on the door and ask if I would fix his mower ,I just tell people
to buy another mower it's cheaper ,I've heard a few stories of mower shops taking customers
mowers apart then telling the customer that the mower is in a condition that is not economically
worth fixing and that they need to buy another mower but the shop charges them $50 for
looking at their mower.

Also had the customer turn up that just needed the plug cap replaced ,that would have been a very quick repair
but he has taken the mower apart and removed the coil and I still would fix the mower for free.

Cheers
Max.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
So far at least by putting my prices up it has stopped the nutjobs from constantly bombarding me with " I will give you $50 and pick it up this afternoon" My usual reply to those was just "no you won't"

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I would swear some of the potential customers think we are in this business just for our health. Want to buy their junk at sky high prices and low ball us on repairs. Here things like curve shaft string trimmers and push walk behind mower just get passed up as they cost as much to repair as new ones. I personally got better things to do than to work for free and on top that make them whole by paying for the parts too.

The saying here that comes to mind is "I didn't take you to raise so pay your own way.".

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
AVB,
Over the years I have treated this as a cost neutral hobby, don't make much but it doesn't cost me much although I have to keep a fair amount of parts here at all times. At the moment I'm beginning to think this is a hobby I am getting tired of because I'm sick of dealing with idiots. I do have good customers as well and I will keep fixing their equipment, but there is a big heap of junk people out there

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Norm and AVB

Reminds me of last week when I listed a vintage car part for $60 ,I knew the part was worth $120 but
I had not taken the item apart or tested the item to see if it was working but even if the part didn't work it would only cost $20
for parts to fix ,anyway a guy rings up says he is 1 hour away and can I test the part and let him know before coming to buy so I test the
part and it's working well ,I let the guy know so he then texts me back and says will I take $40 ,I would have still let him
have the part for 60 until he said $40 so I text him back, now that I know that it works I will take $80 ,he ended up paying $80 laugh

Cheers
Max.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Good one Max, I have used something like that a few times , "whats your cheapest price" I reply with an extra $10/15 and that shuts them up.

Tyler Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I was trying to get rid of a few roller blinds I bought at masters on clearance years before (new in box) - put them up for $25 each (had 3 of them) - bearing in mind full price was $120 at the time (I paid $50)

Get asked if I can send a photo of one out of the box, so sent a photo of the one I mounted on the window. Then get another message can it be seen in the rolled up position.

Then what is the distance between the mounting points

Then would you hold them a week for me and take $10 each

Told him to go and get ....

Last edited by Tyler; 07/03/21 05:50 PM.
1 member likes this: twostroker
Novice
All the comments about 2 strokes I agree with. Wouldn’t surprise me if in a few years time, 2 stroke whipper snippers no longer allowed to be sold and only electric ones are available. So I have decided to never throw out any of the 8 or so whipper snippers I have. In about 25 years they might be a rarity....

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I don't believe in speculating what may become worth a mint or not. Just keep what you actually enjoy having.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
1 member likes this: Seanoss

Moderated by  CyberJack 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,845
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace