Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#103231 27/01/20 06:26 PM
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Had a bloke drop this off today along with a number of other machines. When he pulled this out of the trailer I asked him if this was a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. He immediately replied a 4 stroke. I didn't take any notice till I put it on the bench. He said he had to keep starting it because it wouldn't keep running. It is obviously a 2 stroke and I obviously can't get it started but without pulling it down does anybody know for sure how I can test it to prove it has been straight fueled

Attached Images
2006-04-26 19.13.04.jpg (226.94 KB, 88 downloads)
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Only seen 1 of these before Norm - guy couldn't get it going as he forgot the choke. The one I was dealing with had a different top cover though with many screws around edge

I think undo the 2 screws on the top cover and you should be able to get some fuel down the carby and check the plug for metal transfer - easiest way

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Thanks Tyler, done all that and plug is not the colour I would be happy with bit on the light brown shade. Always so hard to get the truth from some people

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Norm

Beside getting the exhaust off, the only thing I can think of is to get a really bright torch and look down the plug hole for scoring

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Thanks Tyler, lots of things I can do but not sure I want to waste my time on something the bloke told me was a 4 stroke. I guess the best way is to not mention any suspicions I have and just casually ask him what fuel he used in it. I'm not sure if this bloke is playing me for a sucker where he has picked up a load of stuff and just wants me to get it going so he can flog it off. I don't remember him but he obviously has been here before but it must be some years ago
What he brought today was 2 Ryobi whipper snippers, a Tornado mower with a Quantam he says won't rev up, a 2.5 kva silenced generator, a Honda powered vibrating compactor, and the demo saw. I am not sure what he is up to

Last edited by NormK; 27/01/20 08:42 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Norm

I thought I spied a ryobi/homelite air filter on the bench next to the saw blade - recognisable by the round indent from the round indent from the upright part over the choke plate.

The "PLT304..." trimmers - square with sloped front filter housing and the yellow choke lever that comes through the front on the ones from the late 90's to early 00's

For a 1/2 crank, those ones aren't too bad - at least they aren't pressed together like the later ones (can't remove piston without shop press). I have a few and they go well - couldn't give them away though.
Ozito used the engine later on in leaf blowers, albeit with slightly different exhaust studs (thicker studs)

Be careful, hope the guy doesn't cause any trouble

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Could always do a compression test. If under 100 psi its toasted. Aluminum transfer to the plug is a dead give away on one that been straight gassed but always verify the cylinder condition by checking the exhaust port. 71CC is not a little engine. Getting part is the biggest problem since made in China.

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi AVB and Tyler,
Do you know how the decomp works and what makes it release ? When I push it in it doesn't seem to make any difference trying to pull it over.
Hi Tyler, the 2 Ryobis fired up fairly easily just both need filters as they were crumbling up. This was also a problem with the concrete saw, it has a paper filter and one section for some reason was being sucked into the carby, can't see any reason for that to happen, nothing in there to have caused physical damage

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It opens a metered port in the cylinder. Normal compression levels it will reset on its own at the first time the engine hits. Now with the filter being damaged it have inhaled grit. Anyways have look at the cylinder on the exhaust port side or did a compression test? They are the first thing I do on a non starter then if things look good then induce fuel mix into the cylinder to see it will hit.

BTW this animal is nothing but a modified chainsaw.

Last edited by AVB; 28/01/20 07:27 AM.
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Got it fired up with the drill so it obviously was not straight fueled so he had obviously not used it as he would have said without hesitation that it was a 2 stroke so this just confuses the situation further. And I couldn't get it started with the decomp engaged, without using it it fires up fairly easily. Will see once I refit the pull starter and try and find an air cleaner for it.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Good job Norm. Might need to by pass the decomp valve - maybe something like a cmr5h chainsaw plug would fit it - or maybe carbon stuck under it

With the foam filters, I went to clark rubber, bought a 12in x 12in ish piece of off cut - just under 1 inch thick foam. I cut the required size (4-5cm square ryobi filter), cut the foam in half (so only half as thick), coat with bar and chain oil and there you go, a new air filter

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Tyler,
no go I can't pull this over with or without the decomp engaged, makes no difference. The drill can crank it over no problems

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Then as mention by Tyler there may be a carbon blockage at the de-compressor port of the cylinder as it is a relative small hole. I have seen this on a couple Husqvarna chainsaws. Later today I see if I can find out the thread size is on the Husqvarna de-compressors as the Chinese probably used the same style setup. I got them in stock just a matter getting them out and checking against my threading tools.

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The Husqvarna after market decompression valves I have does appear to be M10-1.00 threaded. Hmmm I didn't have a M10-100 die so I got to get one the next time order from McMaster.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I have a BSF die I haven't used in years. Any lawn equipment that use that thread? Maybe British brands!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Thanks Tyler and AVB,
All good now, gave the decomp valve a clean with carby cleaner and now it works as it should. I had to make up a pawl spring for the pull starter I would say the Husqvarna spring is the same but I needed one quickly. Then I ended up making a 19mm wooden spacer so that I could modify and fit one of the 550E type Briggs air filters. Had to cut the top and the bottom out of it. Doesn't have the same surface area so it will need to be checked more often but they are cheap and readily available

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Glad you got it working.

Of all the equipment that I have worked here I only ran into one that British threading. Kinda lucked out as a triangle needle file restored the threads. I don't remember old machine it was on though.

It however does appear that we all are getting swamped with cheap Chinese equipment and it is only getting worst.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The threads I used it on were for an old diesel bus I was helping someone with. It was for these small studs that held on chrome hubcaps to the rear wheel hubs that were caked in old paint. You could see fine paint chips and a few fine metal fillings sprinkle down into the wheel well I ran them, and the retaining nuts then went on smooth as butter with your fingers. So satisfying.

Attached Images
10437994.jpg (9.79 KB, 12 downloads)

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!

Moderated by  Bruce, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019