Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#88282 23/10/17 08:17 PM
Apprentice level 2
Got this the other day...."Was working, now doesn't start"..... Check obvious...bore and rings look ok.....pop starter off..... Bazinga! See if you spot the old rings versus the new ones?

Attached Images
biGCc1A.jpg (159.03 KB, 61 downloads)
dR5lKqm.jpg (494.06 KB, 61 downloads)
KZ6b45K.jpg (558.3 KB, 61 downloads)
Last edited by Bruce; 23/10/17 08:58 PM. Reason: Corrected image size
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
First question I would ask is what is all that crap inside the motor, can't say I have ever seen that sort of rubbish inside one of these motors, even the ones I have picked up where people have pinched the starter and left it open. Rings are pretty obvious but it shows how far these motors will run before they won't start any more

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Why do the Chinese cast PTs make do with half the cooling fins? It makes for easy I.d, but still...

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF pretty simple, easier to make and in out climate down south they don't seem to have overheating problems and you shouldn't be out mowing on a stinking hot day anyway, not good for you or the mower.And DB, "it was working and now it doesn't" I can assure you it was "working before" they always left the shop new in working condition

Last edited by NormK; 24/10/17 02:55 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
So you think they are just as good then? I think they are fine except on a scorcher perhaps.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, never noticed any difference between them and I have fixed so many I have lost count, I used to keep a record but I ended up loosing count. My problem now with these float needles and having to buy 100 which is going to cost over $800 I will have to work really hard at my cost neutral hobby just to break even and as I have probably 20 powertorques sitting here to refurbish at the moment, that means I have to scout around and find another 80. I'm going to end up old by the time I fix that many

Last edited by NormK; 24/10/17 06:30 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Chip away and enjoy the adventure in hunting them down.
One good thing about the PT with less fins is they are newer. I have one I found without a starter and primer cap needle and seat, and after adding the missing bits, it runs like new.
I bet you are in the situation wher you have more engine husks than starters to go with them.
I got a good score recently where I happened to see a guy loading a derelict Victa with PT tho go to the tip and I said hold your horses what bits can I get off that? Well it turned out the starter was good. Thank you!! Also managed to get a pair of good rear 7" wheels. Perfect for the front of one of my "pets".
I wanted to grab the primer cap etc from the carby, but alas the guy originally throwing the whole machine decided he wanted the whole throttle, snorkel and carby set! Guess I couldn't begrudge him that.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi MF, you are right, I have a lot of PT motors here without starters that were ratted by persons unknown and then I have a pile of motors that won't start, they get pushed aside for a later date to re-ring and replace the lower seal, then they will be fine. If I ever get a chance I then need to clean out the motors that have arrived without starters, put a starter on them and check the compression as a first test. I know most of these motors that are missing starters are most likely good, but the starters have been ratted and sold on ebay for more than the seller could sell the complete mower. And to go over this once again 80% of these mowers are dumped because of a faulty float needle, the other 20% is because the body has rusted in the corner

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It's a real dilemma having more motors than bodies our there. You can stick them on old Victa four stroke decks with junked motors. The starter issue is trickier. I would only fit them to motors that pass the compression test to save you the work of repairing them with seals and rings.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I have a standard procedure I go through with all these Powertorques. First step is remove the decomp valve to ensure it works. Second step is remove the spark plug to check for spark, making sure the throttle is in the open position. Third step is fit an old spark plug in the decomp hole and pull the start cord to see what compression feels like. This controls my next step. If compression is low I just pull the motor off the base and put it in the pile of motors for later. If it has compression I fit my test carby and see if it will start. If it won't start, but will with a squirt of starter fluid in the plug hole then I put the motor in the engine pile with a note on it that it needs the bottom seal replaced. I would say the failure rate on the ones I get that won't start is probably about one in six so for ever 10 Powertorques I pick up I probably get 8 running as they should. I then strip them to the bare chassis, repair anything on the chassis that needs repair/welding, sand the chassis back, paint it and then reassemble using good/new bits and somebody will get a good mower. Is it worth all the effort, probably not, but at least I get pleasure out of salvaging these wonderful mowers

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It's a shame you don't turn some sort of profit. The public at large assume four strokes are where it's at.
It's nice to give a second life to these discarded/ abandoned beasts with plenty more to give, but how many of the new owners will wreck them through abuse or straight petrol, or just give up because of a minor problem that is readily overcome?
It's good you gain satisfaction out of it. Many people don't get that out of their jobs.

Moderated by  Bruce, Deejay 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019