Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Here is a step by step detail of how to get a LM carby to work properly, G4 is at the end of this post, only difference is the cam modification, all other steps are the same

You will require a 6mm or 1/4 tap and two 25mm bolts (cut both of these to 18mm), 1 nut of whatever thread gauge you choose.
You also need a kill switch, this can be either a momentory contact switch or toggle switch, a little bit of electrical wire, lug and a connector

It requires a marker, hacksaw and 2 sockets to act as spacers to hold the cam steady in a vice, do not over tighten the vice as this will damage the cam

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thread this with a 6mm or 1/4 thread (whatever matches the bolt you have), cut this bolt to 17/18mm long
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by NormK; 04/02/17 11:15 PM.
1 member likes this: Seanoss
Membership information
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Total thickness of washers is approx 1.6mm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thread this the same size as the kill switch hole
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is your new idle adjuster screw, this is the 2nd bolt you cut earlier to 18mm

Last edited by NormK; 04/02/17 11:16 PM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You no longer use the factory kill switch, use the momentary contact switch as shown, just fit one lead to the frame and the other wire to the wire that comes through the side of the original kill switch, the other wire is just cut off.
[Linked Image]

Once you have everything re installed and the motor running, you then adjust the idle screw as shown above, to set the engine rpm start the engine, pull the throttle back to stop position and then adjust the idle screw to get the idle revs you require.

Last edited by NormK; 04/02/17 11:17 PM.
1 member likes this: Colrose
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
This is how to modify the G4 cam, all other steps from the LM carby modification are required

You will require 1 x 4mm or 5/32 screw and tap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lifter / Spider height adjustment to the highest point on the cam and no further
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by NormK; 04/02/17 11:08 PM.
1 member likes this: RedCurls
Qualified Senior
Thanks for going to the trouble of doing this, this will keep Powertorques running for another 30 years.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Not only the Powertorques Tiger, all those full cranks fitted with the G4 carb

Qualified Senior
well done. that seems to be a major improvement. rockon

If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Trainee
Very interesting stuff ! Thankyou for sharing it.

Yesterday is history
Tommorrow is a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why it is called the present.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That's certainly given us viewers a better idea of what you are talking about.
You have made a very clever ( in some ways) carby reach it's full potential.
Is it possible, just possible, that you have made it better than the G3 carburettor??

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Mowerfreak, not sure if it is better than the G3 and it doesn't really matter, there is buckets more of the plastic carbs out there, if you do this mod correctly the carb is guaranteed to work and that is all that matters

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
Is it possible, just possible, that you have made it better than the G3 carburettor??
It would be necessary to run some dynamometer tests with Exhaust Gas CO or O2 monitoring, to answer that one.

In any case, it's a moot point, as G3 carby spares are in the process of drying up - they have long been NLA from Victa, and at least one of the two major aftermarket OPE spares suppliers has now deleted most of them [GA Spares].

Many thanks for your superb how-to, Norm. good1

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I hate to think how many Victa pumped out over decades, but you are right, , of we spread the gospel that these things can actually have their bugs removed, we would at least partially stem the rapid ( and I mean RAPID) disappearance of this Aussie iconic backyard noise.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Mowerfreak, one thing with this mod is the iconic backyard noise does not need to be so loud if the Powertorque is not revving its tits off mowing grass that is 1" high.
Gadge, my son is over from NZ and IT is his game so that is why it is clear, I just did the leg work

Last edited by NormK; 06/02/17 04:46 AM.
Junior Technician
Hello NormK,
I will save this and do it on my new PT project. I just have to sort out my base. it a lot of sanding , but will get there soon..
thanks for your effort.
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
gml Offline
Greenfield Enthusiast
excellent work Norm,we can all save a two stroke now thank's to you..cheer's

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Does this result in a first time every time starting experience or do you still need to work on getting a strong spark and good sparkplug for that to happen?
One think I remember with a near new Power torque was the ridiculous ease in starting.
You could do it with your teeth.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Coils on Powertorques rarely fail or give trouble and the carby has little control over the spark plug. If all the ducks line up they are usually a one pull start, unless the useless float needle is giving problems and I have little control over them because they are just expensive to buy,cheap Chinese junk and poorly made

Last edited by NormK; 08/02/17 04:44 PM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Another mod I did on an LM today, because the owner wanted to retain the kill switch was to drill and tap through the kill switch ramp on the cam in the same manner as I did with the G4 cam and this then allowed me to adjust the kill switch position and prevent it from running up to the flat on the top of the ramp and becoming stuck which results in having to pull the carb apart to free it up again. So far it is working well

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Getting back to the float needle problems I might have a crack with these and see how it works out. Getting the brass needles made they came back with a stupid price of $35 each. These are a bit better priced.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252780607048?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Junior Technician
Hello NormK,
Did the mod, works well, smooth power. I used a fine hacksaw and got a really smooth surfaces on the gray part...
speedy

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi speedy, glad to hear it works well, problem is now that you have seen how well they work you would never go back to the original design

Junior Technician
Yes, I will get my new pt going first then do the mod. I didn't put the kill switch in or the bolts... but the rest works well.
speedy

Novice
Thanks heaps for taking the time to complete this mod, photograph it and post it.

1: I will be applying it asap to my twin, which should sort one of it's problems once and for all.
2; Off to the "Green Shed" to see how many G4's I can score (attached to cheap mowers of course!)

On that, most municipalities have a Green Shed where folks donate unwanted/broken stuff.
Always plenty of mowers, some in surprisingly good order. Just got to be quick though because they are usually stored outside and the fuel cap is the first souvenir to be taken.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The next thing that you will find is the float needle, this horrible little part is responsible for the early demise of millions of Victas. The new float needles and primer caps solve this although I have had a couple of issues with them, price on them is an issue if you only want one or two. Do not waste your money buying the ebay ones with the plastic needle they will mess with your head

Apprentice level 2
Hi Norm,
I have a couple of questions for you about your carby mod, if you could offer some answers that would be terrific. I have been thinking about doing this to a spare carb for some time, as I have a couple of machines I use regularly that I think are in overall pretty good shape (seals, viton tipped needle and seat, clear jet, good spark, good compression etc.) which I can never get to start first pull cold. They often start second pull, run perfectly and restart easily hot. I don�t run them out of fuel to stop them but use stabil in the mix. What is the starting procedure with the modded carby? Throttle to run, single prime then start etc? Or are they all different and once you find a procedure that works for that machine go with it? Can I do the cam mod and not do the idle control screw or kill wires portion of the mod? I know I could try this all myself but wondered if you had some ideas already.
Cheers,
John

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi John, I usually start them on full throttle then back it off but I find they will usually start pretty much anywhere, but full throttle is the spot I prefer as it makes sure there is fuel going straight in. I usually give 2/3 primes. You don't have to do the idle screw, just means that if you pull the throttle back fully the motor will usually stop because it will idle down too low. The idle screw just means you can just crack open the poppet to allow it to idle. This can be played with by only fitting 2 washers under the cam, but this usually keeps the revs too high for my liking, when you are emptying the catcher etc. You can use the existing kill switch but I found them too problematic and this is probably because all the aftermarket kill switch rubbers are not fit for purpose, I was spending way too much time trying to get them to work only to have them play up. The most annoying thing with the whole setup is the lump on the cam that once the lifter goes over the top into the stop position it often becomes impossible for the throttle cable to fight the spring tension and get the lifter to rise back up over the hump. Cutting the hump off gets rid of this problem but then you need to put the washers under the cam to lift it up to the same height as to what was the top of the hump. If Victa had just kept the hump height all the way, none of this would be a problem and the kill switch setup would have probably worked fine. The big problem is the cable has to fight going back up over the hump, fighting the spring and break away from the kill switch rubber which can often jamb all at once.

Apprentice level 2
Thanks Norm, love your work. I think I�ll give it a burl and see how I go, cheers.

Apprentice level 2
I made the cuts on the cam today, easily done with a dremel. I have a couple of G4 idle adjust caps, might try one of those. Just need the washers under the cam and will twist it on and try

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by jds303
I made the cuts on the cam today, easily done with a dremel. I have a couple of G4 idle adjust caps, might try one of those. Just need the washers under the cam and will twist it on and try
Hi jds303,
I should have done it that way instead of using my hacksaw. I still haven't completed one fully, as the machine I was going to try it on has other issues that need fixing first. I should get it done pretty soon.
What grinding head did you use. I have a couple of sets with assorted grinders, but never know which ones to use for a given task.

Senior Contributor
I've been trying to get my head around this fix for a while now and wondering how best to go about it. I know virtually nothing about Victa mowers. New territory for me! I am going to see if I can fix the old carby as it is before I start attempting any modifications. I have a bad habit of making mistakes that I can never "undo". smashpc

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The most annoying part with the modification is that if the raised section on the cam had continued right through to the stop position the washers to raise the cam would have not been needed, you could then just cut the ramp to a gentle grade and it would work perfectly. The other issue the washers under the cam cause is because it lifts the cam it makes fitting the cable more difficult and you have to be very careful because you get a slight bend in the cable and then it becomes notchy. Sure if you can get an unmodified carby to work and some do for some reason, just keep it that way but I find I have to modify 98% of them and then I know they will work without problems

Apprentice level 2
Hi Mowerfreak,
I used a plastic cutting disc. A couple of sockets the right size (small enough) in a vice as per Norms instructions, and it makes the cut in one straight drop from the middle of the cut. It was surprisingly easy. Turned out well although yet to try it out.
Cheers,
John

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
My issue now is I would like to find another 20/30 cams so I have spares to work with because I usually avoid the G4 cam because it can cause me a few issues, mostly with the stop on the cam not having the ramp, so I have to mess about with it to fit a screw in it so I can adjust the stop so the lifter sits on the high point of the cam in the stop position.

Apprentice level 2
I finally fitted my modified cam to one of my mowers today. I left the factory kill wires in place and didn�t modify the cap for adjusting the idle. It just so happens it idles nice and low with the throttle down as low as possible before moving it to the stop position. There is then a decent throttle response up to the run position. I didn�t let it fully warm up to see how it runs when at operating temperature but I was happy with it. I may also change the large poppet retainer over to a small type at some point, I�m not sure if this will affect the speed of throttle response or only the governor response. Overall my one worked well from idle to run, kill wires worked as normal and was a first pull starter with the cam mod and metal needle. I�ve gotta thank Norm for his work on this one and input to the forum in general.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi John, glad to hear you are happy with it. The idle screw is not needed if you get the washers under the cam exactly right, but I only seem to get it every 4th or 5th time, just pot luck. The main reason I started removing the built in kill switch was because you get people who want to force the lever back too hard and then the switch would jamb because of the design and then they would try and push it back and the cable couldn't get it to free from the switch. It is a pain fitting another kill switch but at least it comes up against a solid stop so it can't jamb up

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Last nights entertainment in front of the telly, another 14 diaphragm caps, no idea how many of those I have made up.

Attached Images
101_1354.JPG (143.57 KB, 185 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Norm K,
a Victa LM factory on your coffee table. What are other rooms are dedicated to this craft? I hope you don't put them together in the bathtub lol!

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF the rest of the inside of the house is fairly safe, just the outside is fair game, but at least I'm not finding much on ebay and gumtree these days and that makes my wife happy, I think.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Another thing I have been experimenting with on these carbs is the springs in the governor setup. I have cut the big spring in half and put one half on the lifter and the other half on the diaphragm and this seem to work fine. This seems to equalize the pressure on both sides and allows the poppet to move freely. To be honest I was running out of small springs that made me try this mod and the shorter spring under the diaphragm cap reduces the tension on it which is another good thing. Once set up these are the best carby I have ever worked on and I have worked on a few over the years

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I finally completed my first NormK special using G4 bits. A lot of fine adjustments and some grinding and searching for the right sizes of bolts and screws were required, but it was a lot more fun and interesting doing it, than I expected.
Well, the moment of truth when I fitted it to this mule and it fired first pull yay.
It was already dark so I didn't want to annoy people, but it went well the few seconds I ran it.
I think I will stick to LMs if I do any others, as that screw in the G4 cam was quite an ordeal finding the right size to fit!!
But I'm very pleased so far and it was a lot of fun modifying it. Thanks for sharing Norm!!
Does anyone have a suggestion where I can mount the kill button, which is loose at the moment as there is not much clearance under the engine cover on this machine?

Attached Images
IMG_20180922_175543-1000x563.jpg (65.98 KB, 169 downloads)
IMG_20180922_203337-1000x563.jpg (56.08 KB, 171 downloads)
IMG_20180922_210723-1000x563.jpg (39.56 KB, 170 downloads)

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Full cranks are dead easy to fit the kill switch, I use a round one that fits in the existing hole in the steel cover above the carby and the earth wire from the switch I just put on the steel cover with a pop rivet. It is good when they start so easily and come back to idle and not revving the guts out of it and a nice tickover at idle when you go to empty the catcher. The G4 cam is a bit of a pain because of it not having the kill switch ramp. One thing you have to be careful of is to not pull back on the throttle too hard because you can pull the cable out of the cam and this splits the cam.I am putting a stop in the air filter housing to stop this happening.The six mowers I got a couple of days ago all rev way too high so I have to modify all of those to get good throttle control

Last edited by NormK; 22/09/18 09:36 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
You must have it down to a routine NK, but it was quite a learning curve for me ( though nowhere near like you, who had to come up with it). My next one will be much easier and better than this one.
Regards the kill button placement, I was considering that hole only to remember it's for the vacuum tube from the decomp valve. So you just blank it of at both ends and not bother with it?

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF you still need the decomp hose hole, the other hole is further forward. I usually don't run the decomp hose through the cover because it is too messy, trying to get it connected up and hoping it doesn't come off while you struggle to get the cover into place.Sometimes I have cut a slot up to the hole so the hose can be put in place and then the cover can go straight over the top. It is easy to see why Victa wanted to design the Powertorque because just fitting this in a production situation is just too time consuming, this part of the production line would have been a bottleneck. As you can see in this pic the hose is run up inside the cover and the governor fitting has just been removed

Attached Images
101_1381.JPG (134.65 KB, 206 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I soldered the wires on only to have a d'oh!! moment when I wanted to fit a bracket and realised I could no longer fit the nut and washer or put it though a hole.
My soldering skills aren't exactly above par, so I used a zip tie to mount it vertically to avoid having to de-solder and attempt to re-solder such intricate electrodes again. I quite like this solution as it lets the wires hang in their natural state and looks quite tidy for what it is.

Attached Images
IMG_20180923_144231-1000x563.jpg (83.4 KB, 204 downloads)
IMG_20180923_144109-1000x563.jpg (57.65 KB, 203 downloads)

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, why would you put the carby on facing that way, you can't get at the primer cap and with them around that way the snorkel sticks out too wide and gets caught on everything. I hope that is not a latching switch, because you will get caught out not knowing if it is on or off, I use the momentary ones where when you let it go it is ready to start again.

Last edited by NormK; 23/09/18 03:17 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Don't worry, it's a spring one you have to hold down to "turn on" the kill.
Unfortunately it has to face that way because it's on a . VC-160 frame which doesn't allow enough clearance for a right hand snorkel to fit between the frame and the fuel tank. I wanted to use the opportunity to try your carby mod on a charity case like this Franken-mower I found, and I don't have the original left hand snorkel for this configuration, so made do with stuff I had lying about. Yes it sticks out too much but it stays in place and I'll replace it down the track + watch extra carefully where I'm going! This project was mainly to learn.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
OK you're forgiven. I picked up another Powertorque today from Gumtree and the bloke told me he couldn't get it started. When I got home it was obvious why, the primer cap was upsidedown, but at least it had a full tank of fresh fuel in it, runs fine but as usual needs the carby mod done

Last edited by NormK; 23/09/18 05:07 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I gave Frankenmower a longer test today and it took only four pulls with the throttle moved up to medium to start, without pushing the hard to reach primer. I think I will fit a G4 grey primer-less cap to this one if it keeps starting this well from cold, and save the white cap for when it can be more useful.
It went well but I'll have to watch more carefully how I trim the cam next time, as I definitely shaved to much off. I had to file away a bit of the bottom of one of the spider legs to clear the screw on the cam as it rotated and lifted the spider up!
I'm grateful it goes despite that, but the result is most of the throttle rise occurs only in the first quarter of the t bar movement and the rest of the way, it rises just a little bit more to max revs.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF what you can do with the G4 cam is you can adjust it so that when the cam is up against the stop/bolt the 3 leg lifter is sitting on the highest points on the cam. You can get this exactly in the right spot by adjusting the screw in and out

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by NormK
MF what you can do with the G4 cam is you can adjust it so that when the cam is up against the stop/bolt the 3 leg lifter is sitting on the highest points on the cam. You can get this exactly in the right spot by adjusting the screw in and out
I did that as best I could and carefully observed each leg of the three prong lifter. Problem is that I cut too much off one of the ramps on the cam, so I had a situation where the legs on the other two were starting to lower again, but the third leg still hadn't reached its peak, so I had to have a compromise. Also, I didn't have much thread protruding by the time I adjusted the G4 cam screw.
I'm quite happy with the result anyway. I'll do a better job next time.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I made up 14 of those primer caps a month ago, and I just used the last one, no wonder I'm going through needles like there is no tomorrow.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That's a good indicator of how many you are moving!

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That is 40 days since I made them up, there is still a few waiting to be sold so it probably works out to one going every 5 days but on average it takes me at least 2 days to get them repaired and sorted properly so it works out about right

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Did a carby on a full crank this morning and it still wants to rev like crazy and I can't see any reason for it, I'm guessing it has to be something wrong with the carb body

Last edited by NormK; 26/09/18 12:31 PM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Changed the body and used the same internals and it works fine, now I have to set the problematic body up with another set of internals to prove if the body was the problem

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
You may have made a blunder in assembly, but may be a hairline crack in the body?

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Had it apart a couple of times couldn't see anything wrong, I will put it on a PT sidethrow slasher that belongs to a mate and see how it goes. I told him last night that I want it gone because I have had a number of people here asking if it was for sale. I have one here with a full crank but the base is rusted out and they are getting a bit scarce on the ground now
I had a bloke come and get a PT a couple of days ago and he brought his old PT for me to look at. He bought it new 25 years ago and it had only had new blades fitted a number of times, but sadly I think it will end in the dead motor pile

Last edited by NormK; 26/09/18 03:40 PM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ok MF, I fitted the carby to the sidethrow and it behaved erratically, didn't rev hard like it did on the other motor but had to keep opening and closing the throttle to keep it running. Changed all the internals to another body and it works perfectly. This is only the second body I have come across that had a problem and just would not work, apart from the obviously damaged/broken ones.
Will my mate appreciate the effort I put into it? probably not but he will say thanks because he always does. Not only that he would have to be the only contractor running around with the oldest collection of old Victas mowing lawns in the inner leafy suburbs of Melbourne. And he is still pressuring me to fix an old full crank 550 self propelled I have here for him. He says the looks he gets from other contractors is priceless

Last edited by NormK; 27/09/18 11:04 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Only a billion or so more out there. No great crisis. It was interesting to find out though.
It is indeed unusual to see Victa two strokes being used by mowing contractors/ runs.
I'd be a bit concerned about the fumes day in day out, but I don't imagine four strokes have catalytic converters either.
Councils used high output powertorques for years in their commercial grade equipment.

Apprentice level 2
Thought I would add this in here, I dodgily added a missile style switch and cover (had to reverse the contacts to the body) up to the air filter housing with some flexible round black speaker cable, and crimped on some spade terminals to the existing kill wires since the long terminal snapped off from the wire. I will crimp some spades on to some lengths of wire with the victa kill pins on the other end so I can install them in to the carb before it is refitted, then plug the wires in to the other ends when the carb is back in place. Should eliminate fiddling with the kill wires if and when they ever go back in. I used a champion brand 10mm vacuum cap to go over the spigot in the carb body, all works well. I had to give the body and jet a good run in he ultrasonic cleaned as I was having starting problems again. Starts first easy pull now. I may try and insulate the back end of the switch a bit better, mount it to a bracket and run the wires in the snorkel if I get really bored at some point.

Attached Images
83C689B5-999A-4B53-82E8-1252D8D170A4.jpeg (138.73 KB, 173 downloads)
2520B4DB-9B30-4C90-9A6B-08EF11185AAF.jpeg (212.07 KB, 172 downloads)
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
If you do get super bored you only need to bring the black wire up from the carby inside the snorkel tube and you can set it up so that when you pull the throttle back to the stop position the lever contacts the wire and earths the ignition out as it is earthed to the handle already

Apprentice level 2
Never thought of that, might look in to it

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I had a carby that I modified yesterday that I could not get to come back to idle. I had fitted 5 washers under the cam , this was reducing it but it was still way to high. Got another carby body, swapped all the internals, 3 washers under the cam and it works perfectly. Out of all the carbs I have modified I only have 3 bodies that won't work for some reason, the one yesterday an 2 previous ones that would not start. Remove the internals to another body and no problems. Why I have no idea

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
^ air must be seeping in somehow. Probably requires examination with a sophisticated scanner of some sort to find it. Fortunately it doesn't often afflict them and there are still tonnes of the things around. Into Mr Sulo with them.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I was doing a later PT the other week (Chinese block) had the exact same problem. Changed the carby body, then no issues. I noted that the cam was easy to turn part of the way, but became harder as it went back to what would be the idle position, then became easy as it went back to the cold start and stop position.

It was as though the cam 'legs' were snagging up on the carby body (maybe the plastic had age expanded), then suddenly letting go. Perhaps with the lifter, and diaphragm with springs, the resistance meant the throttle cable just twisted/moved in the snorkel without changing cam position in these difficult spots.

Just a theory, I don't know exactly why either.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Can't remember if these are the "O" rings I got for the primer caps but they are cheap enough
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Piec...-39-Mm-X-43-Mm-X-2-Mm-G9V5/264065839030?

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
How's this for a modification?

Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
How's this for a modification?
Hi MF,

How fast do you think he'll burn out his bearings? :-/

Don't get me wrong, the modification looks awesome, and kudos to them for getting it done.

I just see the mower overheating, wearing parts, etc. But it'd be a fun project... how much power can you get from your PowerTorque?! I'd enter that contest... haha :-)

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That is not overworking a Victa 2 stroke, they are easily capable of that work, be a bit better if it had the fan shroud to get some cooling over the motor. Also the motor does not have a lot of compression because as you can see when starting it shows little resistance on when he pulls on it without a decomp valve in it. The other thing that will kill it is the use of a pod filter down there, they are only good for keeping out rocks and quails. Another thing that makes it a lot easier on the motor when chewing through that sort of grass is having the rear flap lifted a bit so the grass can be ejected out, not getting bound up inside the mower. Then the will really get through that stuff easily

Last edited by NormK; 07/03/19 08:14 AM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Just as an update on the carby mods I am no longer fitting the external kill switch, on probably the last 10 I have done I run a wire up the inside of the snorkel and use the throttle stop screw I fit to earth the ignition out, much better idea

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
G-day NormK,
can you post a pic of that set up?

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I'm doing one right now but it is a bit hard to take a pic while I am doing it and at the end there is nothing much to see. I drill a 1/8th inch hole in the underside of the rubber hose near the carby, feed the wire up the inside, drill another 1/8th hole just below where the throttle cable goes into the filter chamber and the wire is connected to the button head screw I use in the throttle stop. This is how Victa should have done it in the first place and not used that abomination of their long lunch, we are smarter than the rest of the world, kill switch.

Last edited by NormK; 14/04/19 03:56 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Lol pictures please Norm. smirk

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ok MF if you insist, not a lot you can see

Attached Images
101_1535.JPG (150.05 KB, 134 downloads)
101_1536.JPG (187.04 KB, 135 downloads)
101_1537.JPG (169.77 KB, 133 downloads)
101_1538.JPG (284.8 KB, 133 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That helps -me to stick with the existing kill switch or the spring button.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I'm finding it easier and better that fitting a switch

Apprentice level 4
Yes Norm,

That is a better idea. I will go that way on the next one whenever that is. I'm just about Victa'd out at the moment after finishing the 24.

Its hard to get a durable kill switch at a reasonable price. I have been using an ATV/motorcycle/gokart kill switch. Its about $5.00. It looks durable but I have to remark the "Stop" & "Run" signs on it and its easy to try to start without switching to run and then of course nothing happens.I also have to remark the throttle with a "Start" at the "Run" position and "Idle" at the other end.Otherwise my machanically challenged extended family can not get them to go. By the way I also have to put "Oil" pn the fuel cap and highlight the 25:! words as well. The other day I got a call that one would not go. Trying to start at trhe Idle position of course but just as well it would not go, the tank was filled with straight petrol.
All the best
Jeff

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I'm open to anything. What sort of screw is that in the throttle slot? Can you tell me which wire goes where?

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, the screw is just a button head screw, I use those because they have a big head and won't fall through the slot. I cut a small square piece of metal for the inside so the screw can sandwich the wire eyelet between it and the plastic housing. The wire that needs connecting is the black wire, I just cut the other one off

Last edited by NormK; 15/04/19 10:15 AM.
NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Wish I had kept some record on the number of these caps I have modified over the time, seem to be always making up a batch of them

Attached Images
2006-03-01 20.43.11.jpg (126.96 KB, 85 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I just did the mod today on the old G4 someone fitted to the PT I was given - and it gave all the symptoms of the one you mentioned last september - sometimes rev, sometimes stall if not throttle not flicked, then occasionally revs its guts out.

With 3 washers under the cam, the cable ball wont engage properly in the cam, with 2 it works alright but the lowest idle I can get is 1500 rpm (on tach).

Going to change the body and see how it goes - but its 40 degrees tomorrow so probably will be inside

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler, yes I know the 3 washers can give problems getting the ball to fit which is why I only clip the cable in the first slot, if you try getting it into the second slot you end up kinking the cable. If only Victa had extended the top of the cam instead of putting the hump on it the washers would not have been needed and an idle could have been achieved easily.
On a couple I have had to fit 4 washers to get the idle to come down enough so I could adjust it with the screw but it is very rare, 3 is usually the right amount

Last edited by NormK; 03/12/19 08:10 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Thanks Norm

I will try removing the cable and only latching it in one latch (then adjusting the screw on the air filter housing as it will probably be a bit out) - I guess it allows it to pivot a bit and not kink.

It was quite strange how the behaviour kept changing - it was smoking badly at one point and went through 1/2 a tank in 10-15 minutes

Flat stick, I was getting 3600 rpm, but couldn't get a good idle unless I took the long spring out (was playing around at one point trying to see what was wrong)

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Tyler,
another thing I started doing ages ago was to just cut the big spring in half, sometimes I just use one half on the lifter and the other half under the cap, either method seems to work fine and by cutting the big spring in half it reduces the pressure on all the bits in there and and puts less pressure on the cable so using the first notch isn't a problem

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Norm

I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the carby body. Even tried a lm cam, better but not great and of course the stop position was miles off.

When I put the cable in one notch, it wouldn't completely pull back to the stop position

Without the big spring, idled great but wouldn't rev - might try cutting the spring thanks

I am going to put a LM as it is really annoying me

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

It does happen Tyler, I have had a few bodies that wouldn't work, swap everything to another body and they work fine. I know what you mean about annoying

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ok Something isn't right. I grabbed a LM body, used a different diaphragm, different primer cap, different needles, checked the decomp for carbon, put in a cj8 and tested, tried different combos of washers, cleaned jet, checked starter o ring, changed inlet o rings, checked fuel flow and it all made absolutely no bloody difference

If I hold the diaphragm back (with cap off) it will idle to the point of stalling

Next steps are ripping a carby off one of my other ones and putting a good known carby on it or cut the spring

I reckon its a governing issue - sometimes if I blew into the governor port on the cap, there was a air leak, I managed to get a great seal, but the cable is snagging (must be slightly warped) so will have to remove a washer. Ran out of time tonight - legal noise restriction 7pm

Both the cams I was trying with were the short legged versions - one seemed to cause the stop pins to actuate a lot lower down on the throttle control

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Tyler,
It is something you are doing or not doing. I have never had 2 carbs in a row that cause me problems. I might get a problematic one in 50 I modify, usually everyone is just set and forget

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Norm, finally fixed. cut the spring (first 3/4 length then down to about 1/2), put a different diaphragm on, put the long legged cam in.

Idle can go down to about 690 (set it about 1200 for now), full throttle control, revs out to 3450rpm.

It wouldn't start at one point eventually got it going and revved hard and stopped, I thought whats wrong now - turns out I was out of fuel haha

I was thinking about building up the top of one of the cams that didn't work with araldite purely as a experiment

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Tyler, you are a few years behind me with that idea, I tried extending the cam ramp but I was unable to get anything to hold to the cam because it also gets petrol in there and all the bits I glued in just eventually let go. If you could achieve that it means you could use the original kill switch idea which would save me a lot of work but at this stage I have not been able find any suitable way to extend the ramp. I sure hope you can come up with a method because that also removes the need for the washers under the cam. I had thought about trying to get new cams made but they would probably want an order of a min of 5000 or something like that. Keep trying as I am hoping you come up with an answer

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Norm, I have sat here thinking about this, but the only way I could think of was pushing the plastic over with a soldering iron instead of hacksawing the cam down - there's more than enough of its own plastic there to fill the low point.

But that would be too fiddly to be good I think

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Tyler we could try plastic welding a piece on but I don't have a plastic welder to have a play with it. Would probably have to cut up some cams so you had the same plastic to weld it with

Apprentice level 2
Hi gents,

Know anyone handy with a 3D printer?

Cheers,

John

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi John,
Now that is a clever idea, I don't know anybody with a 3D printer and I don't know how the 3D material would stand up to the fuel getting on it but I'm sure it could be a solution. I would love to get one of those cams just to try it out and see if it would solve the problem, be amazing if it did, now I won't be able to sleep tonight

Last edited by NormK; 10/12/19 09:00 PM.
Apprentice level 2
I've often wondered about that, since I started working on mowers, but 2 things stopped me. 1, I don't know if the material would stand fuel, 2, I don't have a 3D printer haha.

Be interesting if someone has/can try!!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I think I still have access to the software that we can use to make a 3d drawing of the cam and then can export the files to a file type the printers use

But I don't have a 3d printer either

From what I have been reading, fuel resistant 3d print material is hard to find - the best solution I read was to make one, make a mould from it, then use a different material to make the usable one

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

If we could ever manage to do it we want the cam with the ramp modified as I have been doing but the top of the ramp needs to be extended back so that it comes back to shut the poppet completely just before it activates the kill switch section on the cam. Wish I knew how to draw it up so I could put a 3d drawing of how I want it on here

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

I have had to put 4 washers under a cam today to get the revs to come down enough so I could get it right with the idle screw. Not very often I have to fit 4 but I guess there is just slight variations in the carby bodies

Apprentice level 2
If someone can do the drawings, I might well be able to get a couple of prototype cams printed up

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi Tyler,
remember I said recently that I had had a few of carb bodies not working properly over the time. Well yesterday topped it, I picked up a PT in the morning, put my test carby on it, ran fine, modified a carby for it and it wouldn't keep running and was all over the place. Did another carby using the same inner bits and exactly the same, did a third one and it runs exactly as it should. I think when I did the third one I used a different poppet so wondering now if it might just have been a poppet problem. Guess I will have to build another carb to test that poppet now otherwise it will end up in the poppet container and I will get caught again

Novice
Hi NormK
I made all the cuts this evening and it's all set for a try in the morning. (Don't want to annoy the neighbors at this hour lol) I was wondering if grinding off the threads on the bolt that goes through the cut-off hole would make it smoother to operate? I haven't tried it yet, so it probably works well anyway, but it was just a thought.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi oz,
I did try grinding the threads on some of the initial ones I did buy it didn't seem to make much difference. The other thing I do and not sure if it is explained there is i usually grind a bit out of the kill switch ramp. I do this make sure the 3 leg lifter can sit right on the highest point on the cam so that it can fully close the cam. I am talking with my son in NZ to see if he can 3D print off the cams without the low spot on the top of the cam that opens the popper in the start position and if that can be done it will eliminate the need for the washers under the cam, that is an annoying problem that would be good to do away with.

1 member likes this: oztayls
Novice
I've done a lot of fiddling with my mod. It's running way too fast with the poppet valve on A, and while idle setting is a bit slower, I can't get the speed to come down any more, even with the screw backed right out. My washers are already at 2mm, any more and I can't get the cam low enough. It is backfiring on shut-down now too. Mmm, I might just have to get another carby...

Apprentice level 2
The replacement part number for the carby is CR03773A, you're looking at about $60. This is also the most recent revision of the carby, redesigned to work with the newest VE series engines, and a replacement for all LM and I believe G4 carbys. They come with a few springs and a couple of jets, along with a replacement guide, specifying which configuration you should use based on your engine.

Novice
I had a cup of tea and did some more fiddling. Took a chisel to the ramp so that it slides better over the screw in the kill switch hole. Then cut 1/3 off the spring. A chisel works really well on that plastic and leaves a nice smooth surface, with no burrs.

Getting pretty good control now, but it's revving pretty high on the max throttle. Without stuffing foam into the air cleaner, any thoughts on how to get the revs down a bit? I don't want to melt the piston lol.

Last edited by oztayls; 23/06/20 02:16 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
^ oztaylz,
check the governor diaphragm under that round clip-on cover on the side, check it's not punctured or badly creased and see that it's sitting correctly all around the rim before clipping down the cover again.
Also double check that you haven't attached the other end of the vacuum line to the decompressor valve instead of the nipple adjacent to the engine fan.

Novice
Mine doesn’t have a decompressor, so that’s ok. The diaphragm is brand new and I checked that it’s sitting flat.

One thing that intrigues me though is how the oil breather manages to get those gases past the diaphragm so they can be burned off?

Would adding another very thin washer under the rotor help?

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Oz.
As long as the ramp is allowing the lifter to reach the highest point on the cam, the only other way to bring the revs at idle down lower is another washer under the cam, I have to do this occasionally , most work ok with the 3 washers I use. The higher you lift the cam the harder it is to get the cable ball entered so I usually only connect the cable on the first notch, if you try getting it into the second notch it bends the cable and creates another issue
There is no oil breather, that is the governor that is no longer needed because you are taking control of the revs using the throttle lever. Don't get too concerned about the high revs if you open the throttle too much, this is a Victa 2 stroke, they don't throw rods like all the 4 strokes

Last edited by NormK; 23/06/20 06:48 PM.
Novice
Thank Norm, I’ll give that a go and let you know.

Novice
OK, all's good now Norm. I added a washer and she's running great now, thank you. Top revs came down a tad and it's idling nicely.

Sorry, I had a brain explosion about the governor!

I sprayed some silicone dry lube into the carby body and on the interfacing parts. It really made a difference to the smooth operation of the throttle.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi oz,
Glad to hear its working fine, they are an excellent machine when you can control the revs.As for the top revs you shouldn't need to go there much unless you are smashing through very long grass

Apprentice level 2
Excellent thread, much thanks to all and particularly the one and only NormK for it.

I am sure I will sound like a right twit here, but won't be the first (or last) time - but if you have a currently working LM carb, whats the main benefit/s of doing this mod?

I've a very tricky and varied property and use 2 different Victa 2 strokes as part of my regular mow - a self propelled 550 Pro and also a little Mastercut 460 (MSP462) for the very sloped areas and down in the chook run.

Appreciate any feedback on the upside of this mod. :-)

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi N1KKO,
the answer to your question is simple, if you have a currently working LM carb, then leave it alone

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Yeah I only did one as I needed to build one anyway and it certainly works but I found aspects of it tricky like trimming the cam accurately (took too much of one side so bad to even the other two) and fitting the little stop screw in the plastic of the G4 cam (not needed in the LM) Also getting a cam washer combination that was 1.6mm (or whatever it was) thick to raise the cam for a better idle. It worked out well for a first attempt. I'd recommend grinding back the cam humps rather than sawing them off.
You can always adopt whichever changes you without the other ones. I agree, if you can cut the grass well and stop the motor, leave it be as long as possible.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
When needed, I honestly just do the cam mod and cap - I stick with the original kill wires for my own use. Another friend has done the cam mod and just marked the lever at idle. when he wants it off, he puts it in his 'stop' position - which stalls it.

As Norm and MF said, if it works, leave it alone

Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Tyler
As Norm and MF said, if it works, leave it alone

Appreciate all the replies - I did feel silly asking as it seemed like it was of such benefit to do - but much thanks for the quick and clear clarification - I will leave as is. Thank you.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi N1KKO,
When these carbs work as originally designed they are fine, it seems that once they become problematic that is when the mod seems to sort them out

1 member likes this: N1KK0
Novice
Thanks for this
Here is a link of my mower idling like a dream
3 washers and set the idle. I set my idle once the engine was warm as it will Rev lower and settle. I noticed cold it will just idle above average. I should have had a video of what it sounded like before. Sounded like a cat with some serious anger issues. It would literally bounce up and down and from low to high back and fourth. Now it is super smooth and sounds beautiful. All new seals fitted while I was at it. Good 20mins mowing with no dramas.

Thanks again norm

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It does idle very nice Tjames1991!

I did one to a full crank and it runs very well, although I way over trimmed the cam resulting in a very short movement of the lever (1" or less) for the full range of revs!

Novice
Cheers!
Yer I have noticed that. I took off a little to much. I'm just a quarter out from the top. Not much but. I might experiment and trim back where the bolt hits. Bottom bellow the ramp. Where it hits you should be able to trim that back and it will give you more range because that's all that's stopping it. I got plenty to ply with here so might try that out. I sold this particular mower today. The new owner was blown off his feet. Cold start with 3 pumps of fuel the power torque cranked over like a car engine. Full turn or the key (electric start model!) she was idling like a dream.

Il soon be doing another ground resto on another electric start cammando. That il be keeping for myself.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That electric start just amounts to dead weight to my eyes. A good well sorted Powertorque is dead easy to pull start and it's a joy to start that way.

Apprentice level 2
I have found a PT with an LM in good nick easier to start than a Suzuki 2 stroke. One prime, One slow pull to get the fuel in and then One fast pull will get my mustang GTS started and has been like that since it was new. While my Sisters Rover/Suzuki was always a 3-4 pull cold starter with choke on and most of the time a one pull warm start.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Another thing I have found with these carbs, every so often I get one that will not work for some reason. I can see no reason why they won't work. I can take all the parts out of that carb and fit them into another body and it will work fine. It has to be something wrong in the body but there is nothing visible that I can see. Not a problem for me as I have countless carbs here to play with but if somebody is modifying their carb and it doesn't work there is always this issue to keep in the back of your mind

Apprentice level 2
Hi NormK,

Very interesting! Could you send that carby to me to investigate. I can pay for the postage. If I find the cause, I will share it on YouTube.

CM

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That would be very interesting CM.

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
CM,
that will probably have to wait till yhe next one I have a problem with because once I find one that is a problem it goes in the bin

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Or crush it in a press to relieve pent up frustration!

NormK Online Content OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF,
The frustration can be enormous but by the stage I have solved the problem and the body is sitting on the bench the last thing I could be bothered with is wasting more tim e going over to the press to crush it, the bin is much closer. As I said it doesn't occur too often but is frustrating when it happens as it takes me a couple of hours to set each carby up and have working. If I just have to pull the carb apart and change the body that only takes a few minutes.

Last edited by NormK; 22/02/21 06:31 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
But it's therapeutic, though binning the blighter is a lot less work and therapeutic as well.

2-stroke mower addict!
I keep finding people referring to the G4 Carby that is self priming, as In no priming bulb. Does anyone have any pictures of one of these? Or am I reading it wrong?

Forum Historian
Hello Seanoss
The first G4s were primeless.
It was a failed idea.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...re-bulletin-g4-carburettor-may-1975.html

Hope this helps.
-------------------------------
Jack

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Seanoss and CyberJack,

Very easy to fit a white primer cap. A slotted screwdriver and your thumb and forefinger to pull off the fuel hose are all that's required.
I did it to my late grandmother's high arch Pace Premier 160 and made all the difference in starting.

2-stroke mower addict!
Thanks

colrose
Colin Rose Online aimb11
colrose

1. Can you tell me if the stop bolt is necessary if the kill switch has been replaced and relocated on the handlebar?

2. Where can I get a float needle that works? existing one is black plastic and dodgy!

3. How do I check that the primer is working?

4. Are the washers 1.6mm ?

Sorry to bug you but I love your work and would love to save the old Victa

Model CSK201H Serial 3475 18.1

Thanks

colrose

0418 513 814

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users