Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#68694 11/10/15 05:45 AM
Novice
I live in an area where the power regularly goes out. So I'm thinking about buying a generator.

I've been looking (online) at the small ~$1000 Hondas caravaners use. I would prefer something I can service myself (of course). Such as replacing the carby and/or diaphrams. And obtaining whatever electronics these things contain. So something that's easy to get parts for (not prevented by the manufacturer from buying parts), can obtain a service manual maybe, has a bit of quality about it... over some obscure chinese landfil-in-waiting.

I'm not totally against buying something cheaper. But I do tend to buy 'good' with most things. Paying more does have to be deserved though.

Also I have neighbours on one side and a caravan park behind. While it's not likely I'd get any noise complaints, even from a larger contractor-type, it's not entirely impossible either. (Which is why caravaners recommend Honda apparently.) I may also use it in a motorhome one day. But buying another isn't out of the question.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice/info to offer?

Last edited by justallan; 11/10/15 05:47 AM.
Membership information
Qualified Senior
First thing you will need to do is figure out how much load you are going to run when the power goes out. I would assume refrigeration but what else will you want to power? Do you have electric only for cooking? In which case you will probably need something bigger than most caravaners carry around. Once you work out your total load you will then need to add some extra capacity for start up load, a fridge can pull triple or more its running power as the compressor kicks in. If noise is a problem you can build a sound deadened enclosure for the generator but make sure the exhaust is vented outside.

Novice
Thanks for your reply. Your question is one reason I considered Honda.

i.e. Their smallest model uses less fuel than the next size up. So if you buy the bigger one, you're spending more on fuel for the bigger engine, to produce more power, that you may not have needed. But if you get the smaller one - you save on fuel - but it may not produce enough power.

However, apparently, if the smallest one isn't big enough - you can buy a second one and a special cable to link them together. But you certainly pay more for Honda. And another $300/$400 by buying two separate ones, instead of a single larger one (if you even find you need the second one).

This made me think - maybe... Buy one, and if it's not big enough, get the second one. Then I thought if I'm going to do that, maybe buy a cheaper brand - and forget about the link cable. i.e. If one is not enough, buy two, and just power appliances separately. This would also mean, reguardless if I buy a Honda or something else - that I'd have two generators. (So if one died, I can still power - something.)

But I'm undecided. I like buying quality if it's available, and you know there are benefits. And I hate buying 'junk'. And we all know, there's junk products EVERYWHERE - all with covert timers fitted - that turn things into landfill the day after warranty expires. ;-p...

Anyway... Yes - in the case of the house, 1x fridge, 1x box freezer, a desktop computer, maybe an air conditioner. However, I don't need to run the electrical stuff at the same time.

(I have a gas BBQ and small two-burner camp stove for cooking. And mobile home would probably be gas for cooking as well.)

During that big storm NSW had a few months ago, power was out for ~4-5 days. I wedged something between the fridge's freezer section and the sink, to compress the seal tight. And the stand-alone freezer is a top-opening box freezer.

Some guy from the health dept basically said on the radio, throw out all refrigerated food - even from a freezer - on the same day the power went off! But whilst the fridge section was room temp, its freezer section had not even begun melting, let alone drip any water yet - before the power came back on 4-5 days later! And obviously the box freezer was even further from that starting (due to being a top-opening, the cold doesn't 'fall out').

Everything in both - and I mean food AND the thinnest of ice crystals on the walls - looked like the power had not been turned off. (They were both packed full to the brim, which also helped.)

To answer the question more directly... The fridge label states it needs 1 Amp. The box freezer says slightly less, 0.9 I think (very difficult to get to the label). But I know it wasn't more than the fridge, so I remember I just rounded it up slightly.

But I'd only need to power the fridge and freezer if power went out for more than 4 days. Even then, I'd probably only run one at a time for a couple of hours each day to 'recharge' their 'ice battery'.

So when powering the 'house', it would be:

1. One fridge - for a couple of hours AND the desktop computer.

Or...
2. One freezer - for a couple of hours AND the desktop computer.

Or...
3. Air conditioner AND computer.

Or...
4. Just one of those 4 at any one time - whatever the generator can cope with.

Even lights I can do without.

The computer is what I use most. Which would obviously work on the smallest petrol/diesel generator there is. And if necessary I can turn that off too, for the couple of hours the fridge or freezer are 'ice charging'.

If it were really hot, then at night I might run a small air conditioner - alone - to sleep in comfort.

The funny thing is, this means a mobile home would require more power than the house. i.e. A laptop, a typical caravan fridge (which I guess needs to be powered on for more time than a house one does), maybe a small air conditioner, perhaps a lead acid battery charger (neglible). Maybe a small washing machine if I decide to travel long-term. But all of these only need to be used one at a time.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm more concerned about brand/s at the moment. Because I don't yet own the mobile home, its fridge, aircon, washing machine, battery charger, or laptop.

I'm mainly hoping others can suggest a brand/s that are easy to repair, get parts for, maybe a service manual... So once I own those appliances, I don't buy a generator that's a sealed, unserviceable, problematic, parts-not-avaible, throw-away item. (Within reason though. I mean if it cost $100, provides a few - clean - amps, similar fuel usage to $$$ brands, and lasts a couple of years... maybe then cheap junk is worth considering.)

Does anyone know:

* Are Hondas serviceable?
* Can you obtain parts easily??
* Service manuals???

I also considered Yamaha. And I think I read there's another brand made in the Honda factory? Anyone know if parts/manuals are available for those??

Or something else entirely? LOL.

Last edited by justallan; 11/10/15 11:37 PM.
Qualified Senior
Well if you are only running small loads you can get away with a small generator but just remember the start current for fridges and freezers is way above what the run current is and it is a pure inductive load at start up which is the hardest of all on generators. I bought a small "suitcase" style 1000 watt 4 stroke Honda clone to use in a portable situation and unless it was fully warmed up it wouldn't even start a 4 inch angle grinder without stalling. I run a 2.5kVa Honda as a back up power unit for my place, I'm on stand alone solar in the bush, and it will happily run a fridge freezer, computer, 32" TV and even the Espresso machine, all at once. It has a fairly large tank and is pretty efficient, will run all day on a single tank of fuel. One thing you could consider is putting in some batteries and an inverter/charger that had automatic changeover when the power went out and then you could get away with a quite small generator to recharge the batteries if the power was out for an extended time.

Southern Cross Registrar
Lots and lots of generators for sale here
https://www.mgs.net.au/auction/catalogue.html?d=2038

Moderated by  Bruce 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638