Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Novice
Hey everyone,

I've got a Victa Cortina 2 that was running "OK".

I've taken the carby off and given it a good clean out (it had some gunk and crap in the bowl) and put it back on and was running better.

Now however, it just seems to be getting to much fuel I think? The plug is quite wet when I take it out. If I dry it, clean it, turn the engine over without the plug in, and then when I put the plug in it'll fire. I had to do this a few times to get it to run today. I also had to take the pipe off the air cleaner to let as much air in as possible to get it to go, once it was running for a minute, I put the pipe back on the air cleaner holder and it ran fine.

I'm just wondering, the 2 little screws on the carby, are they idle speed and mixture??? They just seem to be guides for the slide on the inside of the carby but I'm now wondering are they actually adjustment screws?

I did just manage to do the lawn with the old girl after a torrid time to get it started, and now that I'm finished she won't re-start again.

Cheers
David.

Attached Images
20230125_181321.jpg (450.49 KB, 107 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ho Return Rider,

This is why I like the plastic carbies in later models, it's hard to put a foot wrong. The metal ones are highly seem super sensitive in comparison. One thing out of sorts and they don't want to run.

I had a similar problem where it would only run with the snorkel off the G3 carby. I didn't bother and just pulled out another mower.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
Hey Mowerfreak - thanks for the reply.

I'm going to tinker with it a little but I'll look around for mower mechanic who knows something about old mowers and take it to them to look at :-)

Cheers

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi David and Mf,

These early carbs are fairly basic .

The two little screws are for holding in the jet block and to locate the slide throttle.

Over fueling is caused by the needle and seat not shutting off ,usually fuel leaks out the overflow hole in the carby.

Also over fueling can occur if the float setting is incorrect ,it should be 3/16 setting in the pic below.

Another cause is when the float has a hole and fills with fuel and no longer floats ,you can usually shake the float
and hear fuel in the float. Just make sure the float can move up and down easily.

I'm not sure how much cleaning has been done but a lot of people just remove the fuel bowl and clean the parts they can get to
but your better off completely dismantling the carby ,taking main jet out and the jet block and cleaning out all the orifices.

Don't remove the lever retaining drive screw on the float lever but on some of these the primer button needs removing and cleaning.

There is a hole in the side at the top of the jet block that lines up with a hole in the carby body when assembled,( this compensating port
should be cleaned)

once the jet block is removed the float lever can be turned sideways to remove the needle and clean and inspect condition also
the fuel hose connection on the carby body should be unscrewed and cleaned.

Sometimes there is crud in the tank, tap and fuel hose and you clean the carby put it back on, runs well for a short time then
crud gets back in the carby so it's best to clean out the fuel tank and tap and if you are using an old rubber fuel hose replace it
as old rubber perishes leaving small particles of rubber in the carby.

With the images they are expanded when double left clicked once opened or download to computer and open.(easier to read)

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
3F 3L Carby.jpg (254.9 KB, 93 downloads)
3F 3L.jpg (184.33 KB, 91 downloads)
Novice
Hi Max,

Thanks so much for all that great information. That's excellent. Hopefully I'll have something good to report once I get back into it.

Cheers
David.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Those barrel type carbs with a piston are very simple, it's the next G2 and G3 that seem complicated and finicky to me with that governor vane and gears.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Novice
OK, so I did all of this.The float level was about 1/4 of an inch so way too high. Adjusted that. Made sure everything else was a clean as I could get it and gave all the jets and the compensating port a blow out with the air line.

She started first go, ran for 20 seconds. Not able to restart. Won't fire. :-(

I have another carby which I'm going to clean up and see if that goes any better.

I did give the float a shake and it sounded like it had a tiny bit of fuel in it - so I'm thinking this could be the problem - hole in the float.

Anyway... I'll keep trying. It was going so great. Determinted to get it running again.

Cheers
David.

Hi David,

May also pay to check the ignition side of the motor if you haven't serviced it lately.

clean ,file ,adjust points or replace .

check condenser or replace.

set the timing.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
victa workshop manual.png (443.53 KB, 57 downloads)
Novice
Hey Max, Thank you.

I haven't even looked at the points, condenser or the timing.

I'll have a go at that and see what happens. I've never looked at those things so not sure how to do it but I'll give it go.

Cheers
David.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Or just put an ignition module on it

If you can get a module off an old Power Torque , sometimes people go back to points as the module they use isn't quite right .

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=38865

Some info below for adjusting the points and timing.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=46449

Cheers
Max.

Novice
OK, so I've cleaned the points, they weren't stuck, horribly burnt and open and close OK.

I've put it all back in and when I crank the engine by hand holding the spark plug against the head, I get one lone spark in all the revs, sometimes two, sometimes I can crank the engine a couple of times and get no spark, so it seems spark is my issue here.

I might try and find a new condensor for it (if anyone can point me in the right direction). I took the condensor and points to the mower shop and they said "go home, we can't help you".

Onwards we go :-)

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
So just put a module on it and don't worry about points/condenser. I do have new condensers if you really insist in going that way

Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by Return Rider
I might try and find a new condensor for it (if anyone can point me in the right direction). I took the condensor and points to the mower shop and they said "go home, we can't help you".

Onwards we go :-)

As a young backyard mechanic many decades ago I discovered the Bosch condenser suitable for VW Beetles could be used on ANY points and coil ignition system and does not need to be mounted inside the distributor. Saved me a lot of hassles with points and coils ever since.

Novice
Originally Posted by NormK
So just put a module on it and don't worry about points/condenser. I do have new condensers if you really insist in going that way
Hey Norm, would be happy to give that a go. Is this the module I'd be after?
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/engines...ectronic-ignition-module-ma05617a-jm5012

Cheers
DAvid.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi David,
The later sidepull Victas and the earlier Powertorque motors were all fitted with a module if you can find one on the side of the road

Novice
Originally Posted by NormK
I do have new condensers if you really insist in going that way

Hi again Norm, I've been able to find a new set of points online so wondering could I grab one of those condensers from you? I'll happily pay for it and the postage if you let me know how I can go about that I can message you my address for postage.

Cheers
David.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi David I have sent you a PM

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
BigFish1972, LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury
16,846 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace