Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117305 12/01/23 09:25 AM
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
This was dropped here last night from hard rubbish. Bloke says it fires on starter fluid Carby has me confused but looks original or good job making it look factory Obviously the carby is factory from google images has anybody done anything on these carbs, they look just like any motorbike carby so should be a simple fix

Attached Images
unnamed (2).jpg (147.58 KB, 116 downloads)
Last edited by NormK; 12/01/23 09:39 AM.
Membership information
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Boy that is an old FS80E series with a TK carburetor. I have only seen one of those here. Parts ipl is from 2003-2006. Those carbs are a pain to repair. Simple but a pain anyway.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi AVB,
I googled them and it looks like they were made in the late seventies. When I get it started and I have had it running for a minute a couple of times, it runs very well. New carbies are available for $25 so probably the best way to go.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
I stopped today on the way home to pick up a free Honda and there were two snippers getting thrown out and one is the same
Stihl FS80 with the same problem ,the snipper runs when I put fuel down the carby but all the diaphragms have gone solid
in the carby. The Stihl has 125 PSI compression so it's still good.

I feel like I remember seeing these FS80 trimmers in the eighties ,I might have a spare engine for a carby.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Stihl FS80 H125 Honda 5.jpg (227.39 KB, 92 downloads)
Stihl FS80 H125.jpg (171.57 KB, 89 downloads)
G'day Norm and AVB,

I picked up another 2 of these old Stihl FS 80 trimmers ,the free one I got today I've fitted a Victa module and fitted a primer
from another trimmer ,it now runs but needs a carby and I see you can't get parts now so you have to convert the carby to
a later model carby but have seen a new later model carby for $18 so may try that.

Below are the conversion mods required .

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...cutter-carburetor-replacement-mod.52190/

By the way ,the 5 Hp Honda motor above runs like new now just needed a carby clean and tapped out the spark plug thread.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Stihl FS80 trimmer.jpg (161.77 KB, 83 downloads)
Stihl FS80 trimmer 1.jpg (159.54 KB, 82 downloads)
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
I had seen the Orange Tractor conversion but I can assure you the bloke who dropped the one off here would throw a loopa if I told him the hours it would take me to do the conversion so I ordered one of the Alli Express carbys, just have to wait a couple of months for it to arrive. Good pick up with the Honda

Hi Norm,

Have you found the original carby for sale Norm , if so can you put the link up thanks ,as I can only find a similar carby but
it might be ok.

Also I haven't used Alli Express before to buy from and when I do security checks on their site and look at some reviews it
doesn't look too good. I guess you have bought from Alli Express before.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
The one you put up from Alli Express is what I have coming. My son ordered it because I found it a bit hard to negotiate around their site and he has bought from them before so it was simple for him to order it for me

Hi Norm,

Ok thanks for letting me know what carby it was Norm ,I did see another Shindaiwa carburetor that has a bubble primer underneath
so I think that would also work but is $30.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Untitled1234561.jpg (13.7 KB, 68 downloads)
Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention to check fuel hoses and filters before replacing a carby.

I had a quick look at the Stihl snipper and I put a fuel line into fuel instead of using the tank and filter and it
ran fine so was just a blocked fuel filter and doesn't need a carby.

Most times I will leave fuel in a carby for a few days to see if the diaphragms will work again.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Stihl fuel filter.jpg (173.28 KB, 60 downloads)
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Got the new carby from Alli Express Max, but I haven't bothered fitting it because I am waiting on primer bulbs for it from China

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by NormK
Got the new carby from Alli Express Max, but I haven't bothered fitting it because I am waiting on primer bulbs for it from China
Awaiting a slow boat.

Hmmm it seems that a lot of us are awaiting those slow boats likely. A vendor this week that tracking them is no longer possible. Boy I need the seal that no one seems to have. I even tried an alternate site out of Denmark with the same reply "Awaiting on China delivery".

China has gotten us all by the balls and squeezing harder. Our domestic producers needs to step their game so we stop depending on the Chinese.

Good to know you got the carby fairly quickly Norm ,I saw Alli Express were selling the black primers fairly cheap too.

The problem I had with the original primers were all the black rubber ones had gone hard and could not be saved as sometimes
you can soak them in fuel or oil to soften them but they were so old they just cracked after soaking, also the plastic primer
housings are so old they just kept breaking the fuel hose connections off when removing the fuel hose.

Yes AVB it would be good to be less reliant on China for parts and have parts made locally.

Cheers
Max.

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
I got around to fitting this carby bolting on is a bit different and I had to make up an ally spacer because of the different throat on the new one. I now have a problem that it will only run on full choke, revs ok and will idle with the choke open but as soon as I go to open the throttle it dies instantly

Hi Norm,

I have 3 of these snippers and all 3 were restricted in the fuel supply line ,2 had lines that were all twisted inside the tank and the one that
was good had a restricted fuel filter. All 3 grommets in the fuel tanks were loose and leaking ,I just used another grommet from another snipper tank and replaced the fuel hoses and filter.

My snippers were doing the same thing they would idle but then die when opening the throttle, until I fixed the intake fuel line and primer.

I tried another fuel primmer bulb on the original primer but it didn't seem to work very well so I just tried a primer from another
snipper and that worked better.

The first thing I would try is another primer with the fuel hose in a cup of fuel and see if it runs better.

If it doesn't run better after changing the primer and fuel supply to a cup of fuel you could see if you can adjust the needle
on the carby slide up a notch or two.

If you have a few old snippers sometimes you can grab a spacer from another snipper as it can save time making up
an alloy spacer but usually an alloy spacer doesn't take that much work to make.

Another option if you find the intake hose in the tank is restricted would be to try the old carby again.

I've thrown out a lot of snippers lately but kept a few carbies so if you can't get that carby to run right I should be able
to give you a better carby.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
snipper grommet.png (34.24 KB, 38 downloads)
snipper primer.png (21.55 KB, 38 downloads)
Carby Adapter.png (159.55 KB, 38 downloads)
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
I have thought about refitting the original carby because I originally didn't notice that the pickup line in the tank was all twisted up and useless. I have replaced that and new filter, new primer bulb and that all pumps up as it should. Not sure how many notches on the needle but I will check that out. It is a pity because the motor runs very well, just this carby problem

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
Did you ever come up with an answer as to why the snippers die as soon as you start to open the throttle. I can get this one to rev up but it will only do it with the choke fully closed. As soon as I start to open the choke it dies. To me this appears like an air leak on the manifold but I have sprayed starter fluid around the manifold with it running and that didn't make any difference

Hi Norm,

When the engine bogs down when accelerating it's usually because the engine is not receiving enough fuel when you go to wide open throttle.

Putting the choke on and then going to wide open throttle gives the motor a higher fuel to air ratio than having the choke open .

The carby that you are using Norm usually has a bigger fuel supply line compared with the Stihl carby ,I used bigger lines
with the stihl carby .

Just wondering if you remembered to drill the small hole in the adapter block that goes to the carby.

I like to know that the fuel isn't being restricted on the supply line side as different filters can flow differently and with the
black primer you cant see if it's flowing correctly when running so I would try a clear primer so you know there is no
problem and start the motor with the fuel line in a cup of 2 stroke then once you have the motor running right try the
original primer then connect the fuel line to the tank.

It's a pity you cant try the new carby on the original snipper just to make sure it doesn't have a problem as very occasionally
you can get a new carby that doesn't work , sometimes finding swarf in them.

You can get a standard trimmer carby to fit ,it just mounts on an angle ,but it must have the small hole at the back line up
with the gasket.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
7 (3)a.jpg (58.65 KB, 22 downloads)
2 (2)aaa.jpg (93.01 KB, 22 downloads)
1 (2)a.jpg (72.11 KB, 22 downloads)
6 (2)a.jpg (88.96 KB, 23 downloads)
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
Yes sorted out the bigger fuel line, no problems, drilled the hole in the adapter plate and got all the holes lined up. Still can't start it without Aerostart from cold but once it has been running it starts easily with one pull. I will go back and try the old carby again. I will have another look at it next week, bit busy at the moment

G'day Norm,

Before trying the old carby Norm ,it's worth adjusting the fuel mixture first ,you may have tried that already.

I removed the screw just to see what position it was in and after removing the screw it went in 4 and a half turns to where it was running so
just as a position to check if your one is adjusted differently, then adjust to see what position runs best.

Another way to check if your primer is supplying the right amount of fuel is to have the choke off then open the throttle while pumping
the primer if it runs better when pumping the primer there is a lack of fuel when not pumping on the primer.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Carby adjust mixture.jpg (67.64 KB, 15 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545