Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Senior Contributor
I recently purchased a Victa Special 2. I'm a bit perplexed by the air filter canister on this model. It is the same shape as Victa Mayfair canister, only in this case it does not have a removable cap on top. In fact written around the top in raised lettering is "This cap cannot be removed". I thought I might be able to get into it by disconnecting it from the handlebars and the throttle lever, but still no go. I can see the filter inside the canister but it seems to be a permanent fixture. There doesn't seem to be any way to remove it. I can only guess the operator had to just blow the dust out of it and keep using it? Or am I missing some trick to removing the filter? confused

Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
There was one model of the mayfair that came with the true sealed white housing

Throw the entire housing when dirty was the idea

Fortunately, the idea got all the success it deserved.

I would use a dremel and carefully open it up

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
What the?? How is the housing detached each time you replace it? Do you have to unbolt it off the handlebars?

Were they expecting you to throw away the mower once it got too blocked?

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Senior Contributor
It is actually a light green colour. I'll try to take a few photos. First time I've ever come across a Victa air filter like this one. Was filled with spider webs and leaves and dirt when I took it off the handlebars. I can still breathe through it easily if I put my mouth over the intake part.

Senior Contributor
The long, fine wire is the stop wire. I decided to remove it from the throttle tubing to test it for cracks that might be shorting it out.

Attached Images
victa_filter1.jpg (28.83 KB, 57 downloads)
victa_filter2.jpg (19.38 KB, 56 downloads)
victa_filter3.jpg (14.79 KB, 56 downloads)
victa_filter3b.jpg (17.53 KB, 56 downloads)
victa_filter4.jpg (23.87 KB, 56 downloads)
victa_filter5.jpg (24.91 KB, 56 downloads)
Senior Contributor
I can imagine a lot of operators who had bought this model might have assumed they could replace the filters but were left a bit puzzled when they could not open the canister. I am sure out of frustration more than a few got broken or sawed open in an effort to change the filter. Perhaps this is why Victa decided to introduce the capped tops so operators could replace the filter inside and not the entire canister. If these were regarded as a throwaway item, I guess that might be why there are so few in existence today? It's the first one I've ever seen.

Apprentice level 3
In one set of early Victa instructions I read it says that you shouldn’t hose your mower down and if it’s dusty you should water the lawn before mowing. It seems there may have been a lack of practical understanding in some departments.

Forum Historian
G'day all
I guess we all get the message that messages were confused.
I was not aware that Victa offered throw-away air filter assemblies.
I agree with Tyler that this was a bad idea.

This does not sit well with the 'right to repair' movement.

Many thanks to all for this conversation.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Vm ,Tyler ,Mf, Ib and Cj

I remember this Victa filter was mentioned a few times before ,I think this was the last time

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/98292/early-mayfair.html

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
$ a a a a Early Mayfair a.jpg (130.91 KB, 34 downloads)
1 member likes this: vint_mow
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by CyberJack
I was not aware that Victa offered throw-away air filter assemblies.

Nowadays they just fit throwaway engines grin

Senior Contributor
Ah! So it looks like I have the choice of blowing the dust out of the old one or upgrading to a more modern filter. Amazing to think that someone had still been using this mower until relatively recently with the same filter that it had when new. That's a lot of years of dust! Even more astounding that I can still breathe through it!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi all,

Must have been exceptional dust free areas it operated V_M.
I thought Victa couldn't get any more daft than it's steel deck handle mounts, the idle control and cut out wires of their G4 carby, they do this in the sixties, when right to repair wasn't a thing.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Apprentice level 3
It seems contradictory to me.

When I look at practical items, whether it be tools, machinery, implements or fixtures, my attention is generally drawn to how durable I think it might be in its intended use. Then I think about ease of maintenance to extend the useful life.

Victa full crank mowers were generally built in a manner that allowed both easy maintenance and long life. I own a couple of mowers that were initially purchased more than fifty years ago and are still in use. One of them has had very regular use and is only on first oversize rings. A lot of blades, air filters and spark plugs have gone through that machine and three sets of wheels that I’m aware of. It’s the ease of maintenance that I think has kept it going so long.

It’s not like a four stroke where you need to do those oil changes, the two strokes were easy by comparison. People didn’t mind doing a regular air filter change, so why make it so hard? Beggars belief really.

Senior Contributor
I guess the only consoling thing is that these filters are probably quite rare and "collectible" today. Most operators would have scratched their heads at them and either thrown them to the trash long ago in order to fit a newer model or aftermarket canister, or got cranky with it and cut the top off it. Guess I should put it on ebay as one of those (capital, bold lettering) RARE items and watch the bids roll in. Haha! I couldn't be bothered but will put it away. A good display item for a "museum of early technical mower goofs".

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The magic R word and it's SHOW ME THE MONEY!! to some.

Some things are rare for a good reason! Extinct would be best.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019