Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Dandare), 66 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
bravo Offline OP
Novice
I managed to break the conrod on my 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. To replace the engine it will cost $1400 + so thought I might give it a crack (excuse the pun).I have taken the engine apart and it looks like I'll need a new crankshaft, conrod, piston and rings, and a compression release lever and these parts will cost $300-400. At least no damage was done to the bore or block. I spotted this little key amongst the pieces of metal in the sump. Can anybody tell me where that comes from please. It is not the key from the crankshaft timing gear as that is still in place. I will upload a few picks of the few picks of the damage as well as the mystery part. If anybody knows a good honest parts supplier in QLD preferably otherwise Australia wide I'd appreciate all recommendations.
Regards,
Brendan

Attached Images
damage3.jpg (35.16 KB, 97 downloads)
damage2.jpg (38.39 KB, 97 downloads)
damage1.jpg (44.97 KB, 98 downloads)
Mystery key.jpg (32.14 KB, 99 downloads)
Junior Technician
Hello bravo,
get the manual free from Briggs and stratton, look at parts list. Just google it... you have to put numbers on cowl in....They are usually there.
good luck.......
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
bravo Offline OP
Novice
Yes, had a look, mine must be the only model not listed. frown I'll have to make a few calls and chase it around a bit.

Attached Images
model.jpg (38.1 KB, 97 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Normally, provided you have the correct engine code (family), there are relatively few differences in the guts of the engines.

Often, for example, the 0038 is the same as the 0001 aside for the 0001 being california spec with (maybe) a different carby with different jetting, catalytic muffler, etc

Try typing in 31S977-0009-G1 to the briggs https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html#

A IPL should come up

Then if you are curious, try 31S977-0005-G1

I would be surprised if the guts of the engine were severely different

Hope it helps

Regards

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Oh what a mess.

First your engine number appears to be 31S977-0008-B1. Poorly stamped.

31S977-0008-B1 IPL

First apparently was ran without oil. Probably caused by a blown gasket.

What you think is a mystery key is not a key. It part of the camshaft ACR that has broken off so you will need a new camshaft.

Clean up the crankshaft using muriatic acid to remove the aluminum transfer. This stuff is nasty to use especially in high moisture areas. Always perform this outdoor with a good wind flow. It can take your breath away. Alos rinse with water to neutralize and oil the surfaces to prevent flash rusting.

Last edited by AVB; 24/07/21 01:32 AM.
Apprentice level 4
You will need to pull it right down and also check the synchro balance bearings, they usually go before the big end, also have a good look at the block, check for cracks where the conrod hit. Also the top crank bearing could be damaged. It could be a very costly exercise to repair, If you can find the parts. Parts coming into the country at the moment are extremely slow.

I personally would be looking at a Chinese Honda copy for 6-800 brand new with a warranty

Apprentice level 4
Also if it is pressure lubed (has a pump and oil filter) I would be checking the oil pump, it could be part of the reason for the failure

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Nath on this particular series it is more likely to be a head gasket.

But you are right that the OP it is better just off replacing the engine.when it comes to this amount of damage. Plus as you parts are hard to come by from Briggs right now. Even here in the states some parts from Briggs is taking months to get. The camshaft have been on back ordered for over two months and it took me over a month just to get governor/oil slinger that fit this engine. I currently having to install lousy after market camshafts because customers are needing their mowers.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
AVB, is Piggs (ref. to management) still pumping out their engines today or are they a sinking ship who'll drag Victa down with them?
This is what happens when a company gets too big and cocky. Managers should be in a prison camp or made to repay their salaries from when the rot set in.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
bravo Offline OP
Novice
Thanks for all the replies. Took a list of required parts to my local mower shop and they advised that the repair was not economically viable. Sourced a good second hand engine off a rusty John Deere deck from a beach property. Scavenged the good parts off my engine, fuel pump, exhaust, carby, starter motor to use on the second hand engine. Changed engines and running really well. FYI I had put a new engine onto my deck 7 years ago. Had to grind away part of frame to allow for oil filter. Filter must have still been too close and touching frame when engine bolts loosened a bit. Wore through filter housing during last mow, sprayed the oil out. My own fault, can't blame components. Another lesson learnt.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
AVB, is Piggs (ref. to management) still pumping out their engines today or are they a sinking ship who'll drag Victa down with them?
This is what happens when a company gets too big and cocky. Managers should be in a prison camp or made to repay their salaries from when the rot set in.

Without clogging up the thread, how about the execs siphoning 5 million out in bonuses as they were going under?

Or how about Sheily former exec who said in the 90's "B&S don't need to innovate, if a market emerges, we will just buy another company" filed as a $10 million creditor for executive retirement benefits

These are the best two articles I have read on this subject

http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com...-in-bonuses-before-declaring-bankruptcy/
https://www.jsonline.com/story/mone...oard-failed-focus-innovation/3559641001/

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
From what I get gather it was and is management fault that Briggs is failing. When they filed Chapter 11 they were sold to an investment company. They are just milking Briggs dry before they dump them in my opinion.

Everything from seems to harder to get and if things don't turn around soon they maybe beyond saving. Many equipment OEMs cant get engines from Briggs for their newly manufactured equipment so they are having to source other engines and rework the equipment setups. Briggs did take a broadside shot so the rats are headed to lifeboats. Many of their vendors are probably not wanting to work them again after stabbed them in the back by filing bankruptcy and not paying them what was already owed.

But it seems that every company is using Covid-19 as an excuse too. I got one distributor that saying they are so overworked that they cant keep up with the orders. So I giving them a break by not ordering a single thing from them until at least the end of the year.

Another distributor is starting to charge a surcharge for me to use my credit card to pay them as I place orders. It may be only 1-1/2% but it is principal of the fact they are punishing us credit credit users. Yes I can just pass it along but that not the point. So with them I stopping placing order as of Wednesday until they let me know my options and make them available to me online. At least the business here is currently slow so I can ride this out for a while as I hunt new vendors.

What we have is a vaccine available but here in my areas only 30% of the local have gotten it. Personally I have but many of my customer base refuse to get it. It takes four weeks for it to fully effective at 90+%. They realize too late that they needed it when they get the Covid strain and about to die. I just cant feel sorry for those had a chance but refused. We are yet again approaching 200,000 cases a day here in the states.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
What pieces of $###.
Talk about getting away with murder and our icon went to that evil company. What they call a bonus is really embezzlement. Astonishing beyond belief.

This is why we have either this or powerful unions.
I'd rather have powerful unions with outlandish demands for their members than having a few getting millions they haven't earned while employees are virtual slaves.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
As long as it about profit only in the short term nothing going to change.

I have seen things where companies cared about the long term gains instead of the short term back in the 80's to where we are now in the 2020's.

Every company loses the sight that their repeat customers matter usually goes under.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That's why we have GM churning out pure rubbish and still in business. Sadly Toyota is heading that direction and throwing away the reputation they built up since the 60s. They're being run by Briggs types. Watch the damage ensue and late 80s to 2000 Toyotas raise in value, their peak period.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,845
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace