Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Alan Offline OP
Trainee
Hi all,

Quick question, Victa only made them for 2 - 3 years but whats it worth?

I know its subjective (I have wanted one for many years) but at what price?
What would some of you collectors be prepared to pay for a 500 twin in good condition with a grass box?

I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Alan.

1 member likes this: Seanoss
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Alan,
Nothing. They're pieces of junk and people treat them like they're the holy grail of mowers. They are prone to coil failure, particularly the rear cylinder and hard to find replacement parts. You basically have to source second hand from wrecks.They were a gimmick in my opinion and I personally don't care for their looks.
Only good thing, if you can get it to run properly, is the 20" wide cut (over the 18" of other Victas in that line up), very smooth running and the large catcher.

I believe they were made for at least five to six years from late 1975 into the early 1980s.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Apprentice level 4
I paid $100 for a green Supreme in fairly rough condition last year. got it running without much trouble. Hoping to find a catcher for it one day so it is complete.

They weren't the most reliable design, although they did fix some of the issues with the Supreme. As far as a collecting goes I think they are just an awesome piece of history to have, where else in the world did someone make a 2 cylinder 2 stroke push lawn mower!

Side note, people always talk about how cool they sound, they obviously have never actually heard one as they just sound like a normal Victa. Being opposed both cylinders fire at the same time. The main difference is how smooth it runs, as the actions of the pistons cancel out therefore there is almost no vibration.

Last edited by nath; 25/05/21 03:30 PM.
2 members like this: Alan, Seanoss
2-stroke mower addict!
I agree and disagree MF, definitely think the look wasn't well planned and think, personally, they are not an attractive mower.

I still would love one in my collection, just to have one! It's nothing to do with how well they ran or their problems, it's about the technology and its another piece of Victa history.
(You know I love the history side of things MF)

Price? What am I willing to pay at the moment, well, nothing because they are out of the price range of the level I'm at. But that doesn't mean if I'm cash happy down the track that I wouldn't spend well over $500 for, at least a basic runner.

All that being said, I'd rather an 85cc lightweight before a twin....

2-stroke mower addict!
G'day Alan, that is a really really tough question mate! In, the short time I've been collecting I haven't seen one full decent one for sale. So the problem with price isn't just subjective it's also the lack of a selling market. It comes down to finding one, getting the owner to sell it, negotiating with the seller on price and then what you're willing to spend. I did comment previously that if I could justify the $$$ I'd spend $500 for just a basic runner without catcher, but I'd definitely have to be well off enough to consider it, and I'm not!

So good luck mate, I mean that, if you want one bad enough you will find one and then it's really what you are willing to fork out! But remember, you don't have to tell anyone what you pay either! It will be yours and your choice what you tell people or don't!!!

1 member likes this: Alan
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Alan and all

I see one close to the tub.

A cheap one is 109 pounds UK to 219 pounds UK.

I probably wouldn't pay more than 246 pounds UK for a complete running twin with catcher.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
victa twin engines.png (538.54 KB, 73 downloads)
2 members like this: Alan, Seanoss
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Seanoss
I agree and disagree MF, definitely think the look wasn't well planned and think, personally, they are not an attractive mower.

I still would love one in my collection, just to have one! It's nothing to do with how well they ran or their problems, it's about the technology and its another piece of Victa history.
(You know I love the history side of things MF)

Price? What am I willing to pay at the moment, well, nothing because they are out of the price range of the level I'm at. But that doesn't mean if I'm cash happy down the track that I wouldn't spend well over $500 for, at least a basic runner.

Hi everyone,
Sorry I have to disagree and agree with you Seanoss. I only want to collect mowers that were successful and reliable, not a blunderbus like the terrible twins.
Pity you can't remotor them with a 160. They have a great base and nice but hard to find catcher.
If only they made a high output 160 version. Now that wOuld be collectable and useable.

The compact was a great concept that was a better proposition for it's segment.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Alan Offline OP
Trainee
Thanks for your replies everyone,

I have to agree with the reliability issues this machine has, just a bit of a novelty to own one I suppose.

There's one on ebay here in the UK, the guy wants £200 for it, started at £350 1st time round:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124735625242
If it makes any difference he also has a youtube clip of it running.

Oh well, I'm not that well off so I don't think I will fork out on another Victa that's just going to sit in the garage, I've already got 5 in there... plus the missus would kill me..!!

Alan Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by Seanoss

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
The compact was a great concept that was a better proposition for it's segment.

I absolutely agree, I love the Lightweight/Compacts, they are proper little work horses.. I'm just Victa obsessed.!!

They were obviously quite popular over here, I owned a couple a long time back and I'm lucky to have found two more but then again I have been collecting for about 20 years. I now have another green Lightweight and an orange Compact, both machines need engine work but I was using the Lightweight up until the end of last year.

I hate to admit it but at the moment I'm (very carefully) using my lightly restored 72 VC Autodrive to cut my small patch of lawn. Again, it looks and sounds superb, I absolutely love it, but it's nearly my age and it really should be retired by now..!!

Apprentice level 4
The supreme's can't have been too unreliable, the one i picked up, got home and put fuel in and it ran! though had the base worn away at the sides and the rings are worn out, yet there was bugger all carbon buildup. I would say it has done some work for sure.

I discovered that the muffler can make a Big difference to its running, once I re packed that it ran like a dream. Being that they fire together if the exhaust is unbalanced it will not transfer or scavenge properly. I even found a supplier that makes new rings for them. I will pull it back down one day and fit them.

The biggest problem with them was/is the lack of understanding of them. You cant treat them as a normal 2 stroke. Properly maintained I don't see any reason it would not be reliable, they just simply need a bit more maintenance and care than the normal old 160

Side note the engine was actually a Canadian design, typically used in model aircraft. There is no Victa branding on the barrels

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by nath
The biggest problem with them was/is the lack of understanding of them. You cant treat them as a normal 2 stroke. Properly maintained I don't see any reason it would not be reliable, they just simply need a bit more maintenance and care than the normal old 160
Exactly why they are a heap of s###. Why would you purchase a mower like this when there's a cheaper alternative with ample power and less to worry about?

Purely a bragging rights show piece.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
BigFish1972, LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury
16,846 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace