Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (Joe_Carroll, MowingManiac, noileg), 299 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#108735 28/09/20 10:10 AM
okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
Hi people,

I thought I'd reach out for a little advice about my regular mower. My Victa doesn't seem to be able to run the low revs. It's all or nothing. When I go to empty the catcher and bring the throttle back, it doesn't slow until it's ready to cut out completely. How do I recitify the issue so I have my range of revs back again? If there is a video you can link me too, I'd appreciate it or simple instructions as I'm still a novice when it comes to engines.

I'm referring to the mower pictured.

[Linked Image]

Dan - Fumbling My Way Thru This Life
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Okidoke

Being a tecumseh, I would wager that the throttle shaft is sticking from years of dirt and grease. Spray it with something like wd40 to loosen it up, then a bit of silicone spray to lube it but not attract dirt.

You should just be able to flick it back and forth with your finger. It should not be at all stiff. You may have to take the air filter housing off on this model to get to it easily

This thread may also help you
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=52624

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I can't help but I think that engine looks really good on that base. Infinitely better than a Chonda, Honda or Briggs. Very smart get up indeed.

What a shame Tecumseh are no more. We need them now more than ever as an alternative.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by Tyler
.......Spray it with something like wd40 to loosen it up, then a bit of silicone spray to lube it but not attract dirt. You should just be able to flick it back and forth with your finger. It should not be at all stiff. You may have to take the air filter housing off on this model to get to it easily.......

Appreciate that. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mowerfreak
I can't help but I think that engine looks really good on that base..........

Never realised I had such a cool mower smile

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Cool and uncommon -to me at least.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day okidoke ,Mf ,Tyler

If everything on the motor is in good order and it still revs too fast ,I sometimes loosen the top plate on the carby
and move the plate with the elongated slots then tighten the bolts back up , this gives you a little bit of a change
in RPM.

Another quick way is marking the governor shaft and linkage with a texta line or scribe a line on both then loosen
the linkage from the shaft and move the linkage so the line doesn't line up any more by 1 mm ,if you go the wrong
way the revs will increase so if that happens loosen and turn the opposite way then tighten. You do this a few
times until you get the right maximum RPM.

Cheers
Max

Attached Images
ZZZZZZZzaaaaaaaaa.jpg (16.99 KB, 82 downloads)
ZZZaaaa.jpg (50.52 KB, 83 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, bog stock alloy base with a Tecumesh nothing uncommon about that

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
NormK I find any Victa with a Tecumseh exotic to my eyes. Next we'll see a thumb latch alloy chassis with one.

okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
I've sprayed WD40 around and I seemed to get a range of revs for a couple of minutes. For a little while it did actually go back to a nice idle, but soon it began to increase revs without me even moving the throttle lever. And then, it wouldn't idle at low revs again, just the full revs no matter where the throttle was set. Does that help with an evaluation of the issue? Do I just need to spray more WD40 into it? Should I pull the carby off and throttle cable and get right in there with WD40 maybe? I just thought it was very strange that I got it to idle nice, and without even moving the throttle lever from the slow position, the revs just increased on their own.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sounds like there could be a fair bit of dirt around the throttle area - as it still cuts off fine, you can ignore the throttle cable.

I would highly advise pulling the carby off as you say

okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by Tyler
.....I would highly advise pulling the carby off as you say

Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by okidoke
I've sprayed WD40 around and I seemed to get a range of revs for a couple of minutes. For a little while it did actually go back to a nice idle, but soon it began to increase revs without me even moving the throttle lever. And then, it wouldn't idle at low revs again, just the full revs no matter where the throttle was set. Does that help with an evaluation of the issue? Do I just need to spray more WD40 into it? Should I pull the carby off and throttle cable and get right in there with WD40 maybe? I just thought it was very strange that I got it to idle nice, and without even moving the throttle lever from the slow position, the revs just increased on their own.
Did you do the silicone spray bit as well?

okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
i forgot. I'll check it out tomorrow.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
It solved a stiff door lock button on my Laser.

okidoke Offline OP
Trainee
I took off the carby and gave it a good clean up and around the area, then finished it off with a spray of silicon. Working as it should now. Full range of revs available. Thanks all.

Last edited by okidoke; 01/10/20 07:23 PM. Reason: correcting typos

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That's great okidoke. Glad I brought it up after Tyler's invaluable tips on what to do.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Excellent result okidoke

Quite common thing these do for some reason, beside that they are a reasonably solid motor (especially with pressure lubrication), although its another engine where coils are a bit thin on the ground

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Tyler,
do you have any idea what could be causing a Teccy I got to be stalling after warming up as the seller said when I bought it?

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, I am going to be trying your invaluable tip on split Briggs quantum tanks

I was in chemist the other day to get a bottle of black enamel nail polish (MF's solution if anyone is wondering) and was asked if the nail polish is for my partner/girlfriend.

I said, no, its for my Victa haha

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Make sure it dries hard before putting any fuel in. I say give it a day.
Yeah, that will shut down many people lolol!! Especially at the cosmetics counter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545