Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Infus10n), 270 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Good job NormK.
I can't say a I've ever had a problem with a needle unless the tip has rounded instead of being pointy.
I've only dealt with original Victa primer caps though AFAIK.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Membership information
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ok so I kept those carbies with the fuel turned on for 24 hours and they all held fine. Now I have 2 on test that were in my reject needle container, 2 new primer caps and gave the seats a polish with the Autosol. One leaked fairly quickly so I polished it again and now it is holding so I will leave them on test for the next 24 hours. Hopefully they will pass the test. Seems the only way I can sort these out

Apprentice level 4
Norm

What about the other problem of the needle sticking in the seat making the mower impossible to start
How can you check for that
Both my Carbymaster primer caps and needles work perfectly but both stuck shut when new

2 yrs done the track and all is good.

Jeff

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Jeff,
What I have noticed after polishing the seat is that when I test the needle with the float the needles all drop out of the seat instantly, before polishing them it was a 50/50 as to it sticking or not. I had always just assumed the weight of the fuel would push it down but as you know sometimes they would stick. I'm fairly confidant after polishing that the needles won't stick and everyone I have polished holds fuel, fingers crossed this is the answer I have been chasing for years

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Norm, Repco have 1kg tub of autosol for $45 next week; interested in a lifetime supply?

I will be going down to get a tube sometime as the valve lapping paste is still a little too coarse

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Thanks Tyler but I think that the amount of Autosol I use on each seat, this tube will last me another 300 years. And my wife bought me a big box of cutton buds so the fact they are banning them from tomorrow in SA and Vic in 2 years, I have a lifetime supply tucked away

Last edited by NormK; 28/02/21 09:21 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I thought you were having a lend Norm, but sure enough; cant believe they are banning cotton buds. Don't even know if you can still get the wood ones anymore

Apprentice level 2
To solve one thing doesn't solve everything.
An improvement is a one step of innovation.
It does it because there is reason.
Now, frustration comes along our way.
But still, we persevere because there's a solution.

CM

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I'm hearing you Mr Miyagi, wax on wax off

Novice
Hi all, been following as I'm having issues myself, but I just thought I'd ask the question- has anyone ever tried fitting an entirely different carby? Walbro / Zama etc?

Junior Technician
Do i and report..
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
There is nothing wrong with the carbies, they are a brilliant design and will operate under the most awful conditions unlike most other carbies. The one and only real issue with them (apart from a couple of Victa design blunders) is the float needle. The Viton tipped are a big improvement so it seems the seat is the major fault now. Polishing the seat with a cotton bud and metal polish in a battery drill does help but no guarantee it solve the problem. So annoying that all other carby manufacturers can make needle and seats that work perfectly and still we continue to fight these. The Carbymaster has come up with a number of improvements but they continue to be problematic

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
My dad bought a Waltons store brand mid arch Celestial 160 in the late 1970s V177 code and it had the G4 carb with no prImer. He took it to a mower shop a few years later because it wouldn't start.
It came back with a white primer cap fitted as per the 1978 bulletin instructing such fitment to mowers brought in for any attention to the carburettor.
That mower was what I considered a reliable mower like you consider a vehicle reliable. You knew it would start by the second or third pull (it would never start first pull) and get the grass done. It sadly didn't get much use in it's first half of life as my dad was a bit yearly mower if that!! Only when I became old enough to operate it, did it come out od the shed far far more often!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Apprentice level 2
Hi Normk,

We are almost there to put this float needle issue to an end. Most of the carburetor needle seat have lever as we knew. They all experienced the same thing and luck if not without the level in place. Lever has its single purpose is to pull the needle to allow fuel to flow and to shut off the valve when full. This is what trying to implement on this Victa. With my prototype it always open and shut off the needle valve as intended regardless. How much more for the final manufactured needle float lever? This is what everyone is waiting for. Once I successfully tested a sample, I can give them a go to mass produce the product and would be available for everyone. The reason why the metal needle has a crown during the design and not following the original design is because of this purpose, "the lever" the grab on an angle. It was planned and took me years to implement and to convince the manufacturer to make the tooling and to mass produce. I expect it would be cheaper than the viton tip needle.

Cheers,
CM

Last edited by thecarbymaster; 04/03/22 01:19 PM.
NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi CM,
I just hope you can recoup the tooling costs on this venture it seems the volume of PT's kicking around now seems to have drastically reduced and as Max says he can't be bothered trying to sell PT's because people don't want them

Apprentice level 2
Hi Normk,

Selling the product is only secondary to me or just a bunos. It is the achievement and challenge to come up with this solution that works and benefits everyone Victa enthusiast, professional and home small engine mechanics working on PT. It is the self satisfaction to be part of it. I don't expect to cover the cost of tooling. I do this for everyone.

Cheers,
CM

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi CM,
that is very noble of you to go to all the trouble of trying to solve this needle problem but you should't do it unless you can at least recover your costs, not make any money but you should recover your costs. I have probably 60/70 tested/running motors here but that won't help much with your costs

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The sad thing is it's a very worthwhile endeavour that may be the sorely needed long overdue breakthrough to making these near 100% reliable, but the public out there have no idea about it and the more machines are crushed by the garbage contractor truck, the greater their attrition as they're no longer made.

It seems at least some words are spreading. I came across a random YouTuber who's using them.

Last edited by Mowerfreak; 05/03/22 03:29 AM.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
The rear discharge power torque just doesn't sell well in my area, sometimes I just want to get rid of a couple serviced mowers
quickly and put a couple for sale with alloy bases + catchers and they are advertised at $50. for the lot of 2 serviced mowers .

Then after a week or 2 of them still not selling ,I just put one for sale at $50. and eventually it will sell.

No problems selling 4 strokes at $100.

Cheers
Max.

NormK Offline OP
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Here is another idea I might try Max, convert a rear discharge PT into a sidethrow because the sidethrows always sell

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653
Members16,804
Most Online2,545