Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Years ago, we purchased a Performance Garden Products BSC 1700 Electric Chainsaw GGP Italy SPA, from a shop called Mitre 10, which I�ve recently found out that Stiga is the manufacturer of this item. The Chainsaw hasn�t been used very often, but always kept it in excellent condition, and it's been a great product.
A little while ago, I noticed Oil was leaking from the base of the Chainsaw cover. I've now taken out the eight screws that hold the outer case on, and I�ve found that the Oil Hose has deteriorated and has broken in several pieces. The Filter inside the Oil Bottle appears to have been installed at the time of manufacture, and as you would know, is attached through the hole in the bottle to the outer tube. A suggestion was made that instead of purchasing a new Oil Bottle with Filter and Hose, that maybe a Generic Filter/Hose could be fitted. My question is how would you fit an internal Filter to this bottle, along with the hose and enable a leakproof fit ? I have photos and I'll work out how to attach them to this forum. I would sincerely appreciate your reply. Many thanks.

World Wide Visitor Map
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sherrie, I know this model but if the hose passes the tank hole only then is a fiction fit meaning the hose is slightly larger than the hole itself. Many of the hand held gas trimmers I repair this how they do the fuel lines. Over time these fail either as you had them to do or shrink, harden, and then leak.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Is Stiga the same mob (haha mob -Italy) that made the Mculloch 484 chainsaw I used to have? It too was made in Italy and I heard somewhere it was another company, not Mculloch.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, I don't know the design or model but if it is just the hose and filter that you need to replace then as with the petrol tank filters/hose they are probably done the same way. You will probably have to go to a mower shop to get the correct size hose. My thoughts then is to feed the hose in from the outside then get a wire hook in through the filler hole and pull the hose back out, fit the filter then pull the hose back out to where it should sit in the bottom of the tank

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Actually is a lot easier once you have the correct length of line is to install from inside the tank. You either install the filter on the line first or wait you know you the correct amount in the tank and fish it out and then put the filter on.

Norm I replace a lot these type of lines here. Enough in fact that I buy the lines in 50 foot rolls. I do however prefer the Nitrile rubber line over the Tygon F4040 plasticize lines and it whenever I can. Some customers and techs alike spend a lot of time trying the push in the lines. I just relined two Weedeater string trimmers that the fly by night tech spent over an hour trying to get them in and I did it in less 5 minutes including getting the tools and line out of the shop. His jaw hit the floor. wink

He said it was the $15 he spent learning the trick.

Last edited by AVB; 15/04/18 09:26 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi AVB, not knowing the machine I assume it doesn't have the grommet, it only has a small hole for the hose to go through and being the oil tank on an electric chain saw I would guess the tank will be very small. It is one of those things I would need to have in my hand to work out a fix.

Last edited by NormK; 15/04/18 10:10 AM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hopefully I'll be able to load these photos, this time: No luck, I've tried about 5 times since yesterday. The Photos are approx 93.2KB (quite small in size), they are on my Desktop, I've used Attachment Manager (drag and drop) as I received the following error message when I chose - 'Select a File to Attach' Message reads: We encountered a problem. The reason reported was: Files can be no larger than 0 Bytes. As previously mentioned all photos are on my Desktop, and I know how to locate them and insert them into other systems or programs. Forgot to mention when using Drag and Drop, I'm getting this message: File is too big (0.09 MB). Max size per file is 0 MB. Not sure what to do now.

Last edited by Sherrie; 15/04/18 02:53 PM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, Motorfreak and ABV, I've been just now able to post the photos (only 3 were allowed) within 'Gallery'. Hopefully this will give a good indication as to what has happened and how the Filter/Hose was originally installed. Hey, I've read all your replies and it's amazing to find such wonderful people who are willing to help. Kindest regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi AVB, I've been able to post the photos within 'Gallery', still can't work out why I couldn't within this forum.. Hopefully this will give a good indication as to what has happened and how the Filter/Hose was originally installed. Many thanks, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, as you'll see I've been able to post photos in the Gallery, not that they should be in a 'Gallery', but for some reason wasn't able to get them posted within this Forum. Kind regards, Sherri

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, remembering �the miracle of the internet� I�ve checked the email address for the contact for our Electric Chain Saw and it�s GGP (Global Garden Products). Their Website states: Founded in 2000, four established European lawn mower businesses merged: Stiga, Alpina, Mountfield and Castelgarden. Their press releases are interesting reading, about take-overs, and other info, but no mention of McCulloch on their site.
Mowerfreak, Curiosity (equals learning). I�ve tried to minimise the information on McCulloch Motors Corporation, the history is very interesting. McCulloch, has done their share of miles with �take-overs� regarding their operations and the Brand Name. It appears that McCulloch is still manufactured in America. McCulloch has been owned by: Husqvarna, Black and Decker, and at some stage Electrolux acquired Husqvarna. At another stage (1984) the McCulloch Corporations operations, were sold to a group of McCulloch managers, and private investors. March 2003 MTD Products Inc signed a distribution and licensing agreement with Jenn Feng, where MTD would exclusively produce McCulloch products in North America. March 2008, Husqvarna acquired Jenn Feng outdoor products division, gaining access to the McCulloch brand in the North American market. McCulloch is since a brand within the Husqvarna Group. Mowerfreak, isn�t it am amazing world, and I�m sure that more Members of this Forum would have a lot more information, but this still is interesting. Kind regard Sherrie

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie bit hard to see but I assume the existing hose still attached to the bottle is just pushed through the plastic and the filter was on the inside. If this is the case I would try as I said earlier, push the new hose through and get it out through the top/filler neck, fit the filter and pull the hose back out

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK,

Thanks for your reply. The existing hose has broken in several pieces, and neither the filter nor hose is attached to the bottle. The hose deteriorated, and that caused the filter to then become dislodged. Looking at the first photo, you'll see the Filter sitting on the bench, and then you'll see the hose that has broken due to deterioration. Kind regards, Sherrie

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
That what I was thinking typical Tygon hose failure here and it is a fiction fit. Most small engine supply places should a supply of different size lines. Just depends on the size if you can get it in Nitrile rubber instead of that plasticize line. It also depend of the size of the nipples of the filter and the oil pump as to if you can up the size a tad and resize the through hole in the tank but you do want a snug fit.

Basically you cut a taper on the line thread some tag wire through the taper and twist tie it. With this assemble you feed the wire though the fill hole and out the line hole. Then you simple pull the line though to desired position. Sometimes you may need use pliers to get a hold on the taper as it exits the hole as you can pull the hold out of the line if the fit is a little over snug.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hello AVB

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out the sizing of the tube, but I'm sorry, but I don't know what 'cut a taper' means. The photo you have supplied, I can see the wire that has a loop and below that is something that is yellow. I'm not understanding this. What happens with the yellow substance ? Sorry... not getting this, at this stage.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sherrie, the yellow substance you see is a close up view of the end of a new section of hose (in this case tygon) AVB has cut into a tapered shape (pointy) . That wire is inserted through the oil filler hole and threaded through the small port that the old hose came out of with the stiff section of wire attached as shown in picture. Before doing all this, you fit the other end of this replacement cut to size hose over the internal tank filter nipple you pulled the deteriorated hose off of. Once you have successfully threaded the wire through the bottom port of the tank, you gingerly pull the new hose through, until the filter reaches the bottom port. You then gingerly pull the nipple section of the filter through the port until it stops and is self positioned. Needle nose pliers will assist in the last stages, but I advise you to cover the jaws with a layer of rag, to avoid the splined metal of the pliers from doing damage to the new hose. Phew! hope this helps you to conceptualise it!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, the concept is clearer, and 'Phew!', I can appreciate the time you have taken to describe the process. I'll re-read (carefully) your information and make sure I've got it correct. Thanks again for your support. Catch up later. Kindest regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Update, called into a local Mower Store, and was told that the size wasn't normal, and they didn�t have a correct size Tube to fit the Chainsaw Oil Bottle. Thinking a little outside of the square, we went to a local Motor Bike Sales and Repair Shop. The gentleman in the workshop, was amazing. He looked at the Oil Bottle, took it away, and returned with a piece of blue tube, he then pulled the old tube out of the Filter, replaced it with the blue tube and he then continued fitting the Filter inside the Oil Bottle, and pulling the tubing out of the little hole. I just couldn't believe it, and he said to me, I've got everything at home to fix my Grass Trimmer. He was so nice. Arranging payment for his service and the tubing, he shook his head and said: �there�s no charge, I don�t want anything�. Isn�t that amazing service. I�ve attached a photo, in the Gallery showing the installed Tube within the Oil Bottle, alone with another photo which relates to where the Oil Tube enters and exits under a white plastic disc, Tube entry and exit is shown in Yellow. I don�t know how to remove that white plastic disc as it�s very firmly fitted. I would again appreciate your support and assistance in working this out. Many thanks Kindest regards, Sherrie.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hello NormK, Mowerfreak and AVB. Great outcome as you will see with my latest update. Can you kindly look at my next question and tell me what you feel is my next step in correctly replacing the new tub under the white plastic disc, which is like a capped cover. The old tube is still in under that white plastic cover, as I can see a very small piece, and trying to remove it, I realised that this wasn't going to be the answer as it kept breaking into little pieces, so there's a longer piece in there that would ( I assume) stop me from pushing the new tubing through. I would appreciate your replies. Kind regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Replaced Oil Tube had been done, as stated in my message. How to now place the new tube from the entry to the exit under the white covered plastic disc, is my next issue.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, I'm not sure how this Forum works, as I can see [Re: NormK] as a reply, sent to: so I'm not sure if you also have seen this update. Hopefully you also have now received my latest update. I still need some assistance. Kind regards Sherrie

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, bit hard but looking at the pic I believe you have to remove the steel split washer then the plastic gear should just slide off, behind that is the oil pump and the 2 hoses will be connected to the pump, one comes from the oil tank and the other is directed at the chain

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Good morning NormK, do I prise off (lever off) the split washer so that it comes up and away from the round metal shaft, or do I use a hammer to tap off the split washer, by hitting it from the direction of the split so that it comes of maybe sideways ? Thanks for your reply

Last edited by Sherrie; 22/04/18 07:45 AM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
NormK, I've just taken another photo of the split washer, and with the photo being so close up, I can now see that this has to be prised up in the same direction of the shaft. I'll have a go at removing the split washer now.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, I've had an interesting day, so great with the Oil Tube, but then another issue. I would appreciate your reply. Kind regard, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hello NormK and Mowerfreak, Well, after trying with several tools to prise off the split washer, it wasn�t going to move. I�ve got an old Dawn Vice that belonged to my, dear dad. Holding the Chainsaw the edge of the split washer was secured between the jaws of the Vice and slowly it came off the shaft after using a back and forward pulling motion, so that�s some good news. The next was the Oil Bottle Tubing, got that all sorted out, and I�m now thinking this is going really well. I reassembled the Drive Sprocket (Googled removal of split washer, nothing found, then I spotted a Drive Sprocket � now I know what that�s called). I then placed the outer cover/casing back onto the Chainsaw, but it wasn�t sitting correctly. Removing cover a few times, I couldn�t see why the cover wasn�t sitting in place correctly, then the thin steel rod that runs from the hand trigger to the safety handle dropped out of the hole, it�s supposed to sit in, it now get worse, as this then released the pressure on the Brake Handle, the spring (a very strong spring) drops out and the mechanism, is now in more dismantled pieces. Thank goodness for Photos, at least I know where things go, but now I can�t get that spring back into place as everything relies on the tension of the spring and the other metal components to ensure the Brake Handle works. The Chainsaw Spring sits in plastic mould that slots into metal pronged component (Gallery Photo, Yellow line indicates where the Spring has to sit). Yellow indicates where Spring sits, colour Aqua, indicates metal posts, where other metal components slot into. These metal posts are removable, but this hasn�t helped with the �spring, tension factor.
Next weekend is coming up, just ran out of time this weekend, but I would appreciate your input as I don�t now how anyone could have the strength of get all these parts back together again when such tension is required. P.S... yep, I�ve got the photos for you. Oh, this has been, an all day event today, and I need your help and advice again. Kindest regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, I've got an update, with photos. I would appreciate your reply. Kind regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hello AVR, I'm hoping that you are being updated with the progress of our Electric Chainsaw. The reason, I say this, is because I don't know when I sent a Reply, it's reaching the wonderful people that have helped me: eg: NormK, Mowerfreak and obviously yourself. Just making sure that you know that I sincerely appreciate your time and the information you have given. Kind regards, Sherrie

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Actually I have it off on this end as I trying to keep my inbox a little less cluttered as I work many forums but I do visit fair often.

I must you credit where credit is due as many of us go through the same things on some repairs where there is absolutely no service manuals or even an IPL (part illustrations) to go by. Some are just like a gaint jigsaw puzzle that the picture is missing for. It takes a lot patience so if you get stuck or find yourself getting confused just put back for a while and go do something different. A lot times this works well as I re-approach things with a clearer mind later. I even slap myself for over looking something should been obvious the first time around.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, very hard to work out just looking at pics. Is the spring sitting in its correct position, looks like it might be.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi AVB, I don't have any emails coming in, the same as you, as I prefer to Log in to this amazing Forum. Thanks for your support, and for reading my last message, I know exactly what you are talking about, as sometimes things become a little clearer after a person walks away and has a break, but this hasn't happened in this situation, at this stage, but there has to be an answer. I've been typing an updated explanation that hopefully will help Forum Members in what I'm trying to convey. I appreciated your support, and I smiled when I read it, as I knew exactly what you are talking about. Kind regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, Yep... in the photo most of the components are correctly in place, but the Spring is not in place, and I can�t get that spring sitting where it should sit. There are three (3) situations relating to this issue. Firstly (1) The Spring has to sit within the plastic mould (as per photo), the other end of that spring has to slot into the metal pronged component. This same component has a hole that has to drop/be placed over the metal post (colour Aqua in photo), the metal post is sitting upright in the plastic moulding of the Chainsaw. Second: (2) That same metal component at the other end has to slot into another strip like, flat piece of metal which twists around another component to create a spring recoil effect). Thirdly (3) the metal strip that leads to the Handle, has a hole in it and this has to be slotted into the the other metal post (also coloured Aqua in photo) that is also sitting upright in the plastic moulding of the Chainsaw. At this stage, everything has such tension, that it�s impossible for me to have all these components installed to enable the Brake Handle to work correctly as mentioned. The photos I�ve taken, and this explanation may help further. I�ve tried my best to try to explain the situation and the photos, hopefully will help. The Yellow dots/lines on the photos are where the spring should be placed. Again, NormK, Mowerfreak and AVB, your support and replies would be appreciated. Kind regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
I wish to thank all that have helped me with the situation regarding the Oil Tube issue, but now I�ve encountered another problem. I�ll now created a new forum question regarding this issue that relates to the Internal Hand Brake assembly. Oh..... If you can give give me some advise on the latest event, that would be wonderful.

I have sincerely, appreciated your time and your knowledge. I�m, obviously not involved in anything like this field, but I�m the same, as you wonderful people, I do pass on, any information that will help other people. We are all working together to ensure someone has knowledge that will help them in the future� and I thank you. Kindest regards, Sherrie

Last edited by Sherrie; 24/04/18 10:25 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545