Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8998 30/07/08 01:09 PM
gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
I picked up this mower today it runs very well, does anyone know how old it would be?.

I have only seen green ones, no blue ones before, I'm not sure what was different about the various Scott Bonner 45's.
cheers2
[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Membership information
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi gmax, This one has got me tossed...As an owner several Scott Bonnar mowers over the years, I have not seen one like it; confused but, I have some thoughts. My Scotty, which as you know I have photos on this site, is a Model 450520 which I have been informed was made in late 1974-early-1975 and if the model numbers run in sequence is an earlier model that yours, but it's not....The main differences are,other than colour, from what I can see, firstly the handle frame is straight (a 60's design), the grass deflector is fixed to the upper rail rather than adjustable as on mine (2 black knobs on top rail) and the real give away is the early Scott Bonnar logo rather than the triangular one; used up to the take over by Rover..That said, yours has the twin rail engine deck (like mine)rather than the solid used on early machines....which leads me to think that this model was made especially for some company to retail as their own product with reference to the name "Lawn King" which I personally have never heard of, or.....could it possibly be a model exported to somewhere overseas? I have never seen a blue Scotty ever.....It looks in good nick though, and would make a great restoration. Gmax, what cutting width is it, in the pics it appears to be a 14".I would hazard a guess that it was made in the late 60's or early 70's.....What a fantastic find.....and ALL complete!! good1

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Repair Junkie
gmax,

We have the parts list and I think the operators manual in the parts list and manuals area. As to the age I am thinking it would be 1988 but have a look at the motor as the code will tell you what year it was made in (the first two digits of the code). cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Bruce, that does'nt explain the early logo mate or the straight handle.....or the grass deflector....a tricky one!! lol!! grin

cheers to more Beers!!

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Repair Junkie
Originally Posted by deejay66
Bruce, that does'nt explain the early logo mate or the straight handle.....or the grass deflector....a tricky one!! lol!! grin

cheers to more Beers!!

Darryl,

If you have a look it is between a model 33 & 45 Scott Bonnar. I assume that someone has done some modification as the 33 model came out with a Tecumseh engine. The sticker is the same as the 33 model.

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
Hi, Bruce & Darryl,

The cutting width is 17", the motor code is 75, i just finished mowing my lawn with it, it cuts nice.
Although my lawn is a little hilly for it.
To me it looks older than 80's model, it's missing a plastic plug
that goes on the chain cover.
Would they be hard to obtain? I paid a $100 for it, seems to be a good buy.
cheers2 gmax

Bruce, the engine codes suggest 1970's because, as you know the sequences changed erratically,and the mower ID plate is 45XXXX which is the plate prefix for the Model 45......so how could it be a Model 33 which would presumably have its model number starting with 33XXXX? Bruce, devilchilli I wish to be enlightened by the master technician!! lol laugh

cheers I just love Scott Bonnar!! cheers2

Hey gmax, that was quick with the reply, mate, you must be running on BP Z00M. devilchilli...The pics can be deceiving as to scale, I could have sworn it was a 14"....Anyway the plastic plugs for the side chaincase and the red plastic plug on the height adjuster are still current on the Rover Model 45 which is identical to the Scotty except the colours and stickers, well at least on the original versions......Mate, at replacement value of almost $2000 for a new Rover 45.....you got a steal!! grin Best wishes to you and family,

gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
Hi Darryl, No BP ZOOM, just strong coffee devilchilli,
thanks for the info.
here's a photo of my old Scott Bonnar line trimmer, it uses wire rope to do the cutting, i must see if its still available.
Pity Scott Bonnar never made chainsaws, i would have a few, their
products are certainly built to last.
cheers2

Repair Junkie
gmax,

I think I have the plastic coated wire for the machine is stock, will let you know. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
Bruce,

It looks like the wire is crimped to a metal plate which bolts to
the main drive arm. Do you sell the wire already attached to the plates or just wire on its own?.

cheers2 gmax

Repair Junkie
gmax,

I have the wires but will have a look for the complete setup tomorrow. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Hi gmax, you are absolutely right there mate, Scott Bonnar was made to last....Except for the engine, it was all Aussie parts and know-how.....perhaps that's why they were taken over by Rover....They were built TOO well, never needing replacement wink
Nice looking edger, I'll bet it leaves a great finish! grin

cheers to more Beers

gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
Hi Darryl, Yes it does a good job,i have been using my whipper snipper for the edges but the grass is to tough.
So its time to resurrect the Scott Bonnar, i prefer the wire to the blades, its not so hard on the pavers when i don't aim straight blush.
cheers2 gmax

Repair Junkie
gmax,

I have the wires in stock and I should know in a couple of days about the complete holder. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
Thanks Bruce,

Regards gmax

Novice
I am also a collector of Scott Bonnar's and have many model 45's. I have 1 with the same handles as this mower, but it is the usual green colour. One other thing I have noticed about mine is it has a manual choke and manual stop, both not hooked up to the throttle cable like all my other briggs engines. From the pics yours seems to be the same setup. Mine is a model 450810, briggs engine a 74 vintage.

gmax Offline OP
Chainsaw Addict
I don't mind the manual choke/ stop, less things to go wrong.

cheers2 gmax

Hi Matt, A big warm welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you onboard. yay Here's hoping we can help you with any information you may require as we all love to learn things and tinker here wink .... And...... we love to see pics of your projects!!
PS, don't forget to log into chat sometime and say hi, we're often online after 8pm.
I also have a Scotty Model 45, I have posted pics as 'Scott Bonnar Model 45 Restored' on the "Old Mower Pictures topic.....check it out; it may be of interest to ya....
o

Apprentice level 2
ive got the exact same lawnmower, its a treat, Im actually looking for a part guide for the engine and the mower, the Model 45 is basically the same, except for the handle, its 17 inch 6 blade

Repair Junkie
tezza98_tnharris,

The information you require will be in the parts list and manuals area of the forum all you need to do is click My Stuff at the top of the forum and subscribe. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019