Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Dandare), 66 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Novice
Yes.... I love the well groomed corporate mindset.

I picked up a Victa Power Torque Engine.

Formerly having no idea what the engine is, I looked up the Victa website, and tried to find out what it is, and their "technical drawings" section - it's as good as the scribblings on the back of a toilet door.

I emailed the factory with the crankcase numbers, 2 times, once off the web page and once via regular email.... no reply - nothing.

Anyway - so after this outstanding level of customer service....

I want to run this engine at LOW speed and LOW power...

I also want to run a V belt drive from it.

I want to mount the pulley on the crank shafts taper and standard connections (taper and nut).

So I think "Hmmm I want to get a pulley with the correct taper in the bore, so it will fit on, and stay on which inherently comes with having accurate parts that make a very high accuracy fit.

I figure that with some designs, that the easiest way to get the specs on the taper, is to ask the people who designed it.

I thought that phoning the factory, before going and getting gauge blocks, and accurate measuring equipment - and doing all the hard work - was the smart move - because it should have been much easier - and I don't have the equipment to measure the taper, in an absolutely accurate way.

I rang the "factory" in Siddey North South Wails, and spoke to a clever fellow in technical department.

I asked him, "What sort of taper is it?" - my question thickened with the adjunct "Is it a type of Morse taper or a "factory special"?."

He replied "I cannot tell you that, because you will go away and copy the design and make parts and sell them on us".

I thought "That's a good answer"

I asked to speak to his manager.

He refused to escalate the call.

I was impressed. In a rhetorical and inaccurate sense, to have a design that was made in 1973 - and has been out of production for years, and has sold some 30,000,000 units world wide - and given the fact that there are squillions of people in thousands and thousands of workshops all over the globe, that do, can and probably have figured out the taper in all of 3 minutes... that the guy in the technical dept - was in my opinion - an outstanding example of insightful creativity.

The Victa customer service - it's all terribly impressive.

With back up and support like this - you can be very sure I will buy a mower off them - you can count on that.

Anyway - so I would like to find out if anyone here knows what the exact type of taper is or it's specification, on the Power Torque mower's crank shaft.

These are the engine numbers.

19 J 93

A2

EN72916Z

Cheers

Shane

Repair Junkie
Shane,

I will see what I can come up with in regards to the crankshaft taper by next week. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
MST Offline
Novice
Its not a morse taper. Its special as far as I know

Bruce, you may be able to supply him a pulley setup off a tiltacut or Super600?

Novice
Cool - excellent.

I have the gear to machine and cut tapers, but not absoluitely accurate tapers... I could probably do a fairly excellent job by eye - but it's a fair effort to shave it out to the correct size first time, with a special turning tool...

My experience with restoring OLD Harleys and their crank shaft tapers, has shown me the difference between an absolutely correct matched taper fit, that is clean, washed in petrol or turps and a soft rag, wiped clean, then degreased with the Loctite primer, and then fitted with the correctly sized key, and the parts are torqued to the correct amount, with a good dab of high strength shaft lock......

And the fitup - minus all of the absolutely correct former.

So I'd like to get the exact fitting pulley - OR I can machine the boss to take a thick cored pulley straight over it's top.

I only have to transfer about 200 watts of power through the belt... (well make that 400 - 500 watts max - with some room for other power needs)

Anyway - thanks and looking forward to any help.

Cheers

Shane

Novice
Atually, having gotten the boss off, I can put that in the jaws of my lathes chuck, and then blue the taper inside it, and then adjust the angle of the feed on the cutting head, by scribing a flat line within the taper, along it's length, and then buying a suitable cast iron pulley and then machining that out, using the duplicated taper.

It's not absolutely accurate to the micron, but it's accurate enough to make for a suitable coupling.

That, a thorough clean of the faces, some light shaft lock and then a good tighten up of the nut....

It will work - perfectly. .

Cheers

Shane

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,845
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace