Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 233 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Deejay Offline OP
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi All, Could anybody tell me if the Avacado green hammertone used on the Victa 18 Special is the same as
green hammertone used on the original Model 45 Scotty? I have had no luck in getting the formula for the original....

Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Last edited by CyberJack; 14/09/15 10:01 PM. Reason: Topic heading

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Portal Box 6
Deejay Offline OP
Hi to All,
I think I may have found a hammertone finish very close to the colour of the original Scott Bonnar Model 45;It is called Jade Green and is available from Galmet in Oz...Website is www.galmet.com.au
Here is the colour chip:
[Linked Image from i266.photobucket.com]
Looks close doesn't it!! wink

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Novice
I've just bought a couple of spray cans of the Jade Green from Bunnings, it looks very close, maybe a bit light, but I've only done one light coat on the metal fascia covering the handle pivot. The hammertone straight out of the can looks good.

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Newbiedan, Just to keep you updated, I have just bought a couple of spray cans of the Galmet Jade Green and have done a test strip to check the colour....As you said, it is a little lighter in colour, but will do the job just fine. wink
By the way, the only place I could get it was from a 3D paint shop.
cheers2

Trainee
Deejay,

Galmet have another green hammertone "Coral Green". Have you seen this colour for the SB45 resto? It is darker than the jade..
Seems closer what do you think?

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Craig, yes mate I have just had a look at the Galmet colour chart, and the swatch sample is darker than the Jade but has quite a blueish tinge to it....nothing like the original Scotty Model 45 colour, which leans more toward a olive green hammertone.

I have a mate who works in the automotive paint field that told me recently he could probably match the colour, starting with a hammertone deep tint base and gradually adding the tinters, to come up with the final colour. This will take time and patience, but hopefully end with a formula that all Scotty restorers can use to replicate the original green. wink

Scott Bonnar would have used gallons of this colour during their time, I find it amazing that the original formula does not exist. cry
cheers2

Trainee
Cheers Deejay,
It is hard to beleive that there arn't any records of the original formula! As it is with the rest of the SB history...
I'll have to reside to the Galmet Jade green for my resto I think, she is getting pulled down part by part and getting cleaned up ready for paint now..
Craig.

Deejay Offline OP
Hi Craig, Before you start to paint with the Galmet Jade green, which is really light by comparison, you could consider a solid colour (rather than hammertone) in a Mid-Brunswick or Deep-Brunswick Green which would look really nice especially with fire -engine red cylinder reel and engine shaft....easier to maintain and touch up as well.

You may care to look at the Septone range of hammer-tone finishes as well....Here is the green...Click HERE wink
cheers2
UPDATE: this colour from Septone is now unavailable

Last edited by Deejay; 03/02/14 02:02 AM. Reason: Added Update

Trainee
Hry Deejay,

I have ran into a couple of speed bumps with other stuff so I have a little bit of time now to decide on colour. I don't mind the Septone - hammer green you have found!. I'll take that over the Jade Green from Galmet at this stage..
I have considered a solid colour though the surface prep with a solid colour has to be A1. Not saying mine won't though a tiny dent or scratch in the steel such as on the exterior of the chain cover will stand out with a solid colour.
A Hammertone finish will be a little more forgiving i think..

Cheers again for the heads up on Septone Green though!!
Craig.

Trainee
P.S i'm running with the Galmet "Inter Orange - R11" for the engine and reel. I like the orange tinge, leaning towards the original Briggs and Stratton colour . I have held a sample against the engine and the Briggs colour is still more orange than the colour i am going to use. Galmet Inter Orange is actually quite red in real life! not to far off fire engine red!.
Craig

Deejay Offline OP
G'day Craig, glad to see that you're getting it all sorted, please don't forget to post some pics as you go along, as I'm sure all members would like to see 'em. wink

P.S. I will be interested to see what the Septone Hammer Finish 'green' looks like, once applied and dry....grin
cheers2

Trainee
Will do Deejay..

Former Moderator
Must admit that the colour chip in the first posting looks nothing like the Jade green chip on Galmet's website. Their colour chip looks much lighter without the leafy greenness to it. To this current day it still seems as though if you want the best colour match you have to take your chain case (nicely cleaned up)into a paint shop and get them to custom match it to the inside of your chain case as that's the only part of the machines that haven't been sun affected.

Cheers,
BB

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Apprentice level 3
I agree with you BB. The back of the handle bar plate can often be a good alternative to get a match from also.

Former Moderator
Just wondering if anyone has thought of contacting the major paint suppliers to see if SB were a customer of theirs and see what they have on file. I contacted Wattyl and SB are not on their radar. I did this exercise regarding Dawn Vices as I've restored quite a few of their vices from over the years and Wattyl have numerous formulas for Dawn Red, but none of the really early ones. Gobal at Dawn (that's the current owners name)has no idea on what was done during the Sidchrome (Siddons) days but only what he is doing now, so that made things a bit harder as Dawn went through the same issues with "The Stanley Works" as Scott Bonnar did when acquired by Rover and then finally being wound up. The records are just not there.

I may contact some of the other major paint companies and see what they come up with. As SB were based in Adelaide I'm sure that they would've used an Adelaide supplier and not brought paint in from across the border as there were plenty more local options back in the 1960's and 70's.

Cheers,
BB

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Former Moderator
Just had a bit of a think about paint manufacturers in Adelaide and the only two that come to mind for that time period is Solver Paints which were located at Belford Street Devon Park, which had many contracts for industrial paint use with the SA Government such as the PBD (Public Buildings Department), Housing Trust (Housing SA) and most other Local Government departments. Solver were acquired by Wattyl (located at Kilburn SA) some year back now and have told me that they have nothing on their computer systems, but I might dig a bit deeper there and try and find someone that was an old Solver employee. The other company that made paint here in SA was Dulux at Regency Park which were acquired by PPG quite some time ago. I shall attempt to make contact with someone there tomorrow and see what they might have on file.

Nothing to lose I guess and everything to gain as I put it.

BB

Apprentice level 3
It would be good to establish how many different greens were used on SB45's. I can think of 5 if you count the later models prior to the Rover red.

Deejay Offline OP
Hi BB and Rolla,

I will also contact a mate that used to work for Dulux in the automotive paints...as I did myself for a time...there was a series of publications containing Corporate Formulas that contained colours that were not available to the general public. I do not know if Scott Bonnar was amongst the colours.... wink

This would be a great find if someone could pull it off. lol
cheers

Apprentice level 3
I have spray booth access now so I'm planning to switch to PPG 2k auto paint for my future projects. I have a colleague that is very good at colour matching, so I'll ask him to give me a hand to match the 2 most common greens used during the 70's. I'm happy to post the formula up once they're matched, but I'm not sure if a retail paint store could use a 2k formula to come up with an enamel formula. I don't know enough about different brands, paint types and tinters.

Certainly finding the original formula would be absolute gold!

Former Moderator
Hi Guys,

I'm onto a lead with Wattyl which acquired Solver Paints some years back now. On the books there is no record of Scott Bonnar but I spent some time on the phone with a chap that was actually interested in helping me do some back tracking and he seems to have possibly found the mid to late 1970's Hammertone green in his olden day Solver colour chart and suspects it to be called "Apple Green" which was probably based around Jonathan apples which are a very similar colour to the SB's that sported the transparent decal on the catcher. I'm going down to their Kilburn lab next week with a clean chain cover and see how close we are on that front. As I've previously mentioned I couldn't see SB sourcing paint from interstate when there were 2 local paint manufacturers just down the road from Holland Street, Southwark (now Thebarton) and I feel the answer has to lie with Solver or Dulux as Croda Industrial Finishes didn't arrive in Australia until 1968, Taubmans and Wattyl (as they were then) weren't locals, that leaves Berger and British Paints which also weren't locally based. British paints weren't into Industrial stuff either, just Rolf Harris promoting their house paint as we all recall I'm sure.

Anyway I'll see how I go with Wattyl's chemists next week and report back

I guess there's another alternative and that is to gather the 4 or 5 if including Rovers Kermit colour original examples from chain guard insides of the various era machines and get Wattyl to colour match each of them and record them so that we as a group can promote the colours for restoration usage and they will always have the colours on file and sell. I can't see a breach of Copyright here as the company no longer exists and after 10 years I think its defunct anyway.

How do think that line of thinking goes ?

Cheers,
BB

also,

Hi Rolla16v,

2K colours can be transposed over to other formats of paint. That's been done for years now with all the different types of paints that have been developed over the years.
Honestly though I can't see any advantages of going to 2K over standard Hammertone enamels, the only thing I can see is a drastic increase in cost as 2K is way over the top in price point, just ask most Crash Repairers (Smash Repairers if you're in Sydney)about how the paint companies are ripping them blind with over $100 a litre.

Last edited by bonnar_bloke; 11/04/14 12:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
BigFish1972, LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury
16,846 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,847
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace