Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery), 357 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Forum Historian
Look at this bizzare machine, I wish I had the cash on me, this is the kind of odd i like!!

Enjoy: Austral Villiers on Ebay.
[Link no longer active]

Last edited by CyberJack; 12/02/16 05:09 AM. Reason: Topic Heading

Cheers
Ty

Forum Historian
For archival sake, here are some pictures:

Vintage Austral Villiers Lawn Mower Mark 5 G Two Stroke Circa 1956

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The add says the handles are not original

Cheers
Ty

Administrator - Master Technician
Hi Ty, that certainly is an odd looking machine mate..I have never seen anything like it...especially the kick starter....what a ripper!! lol
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Forum Historian
Who knows, maybe I'll have some good luck prior to the end of auction!

Cheers
Ty

Apprentice level 4
That's rather unique. I've seen a cylinder mower with a Villiers kick start, but not a rotary. Be interesting to see what it goes for. Good luck Ty.

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
Handles are stolen from a victa lol

If it were slightly more local I would have a bid, got other things to worry about at the moment though.

Forum Historian
Hopefully the handles have not been drilled into new holes, that way originals can still be obtained an fitted without alteration.

If I get the chance I'm getting more and More keen on this one, It's terrifically ugly, and as a few of you know, I like to have a few ugly mowers (they tend to be more unique...I guess because no one wants a butt ugly mower)

Cheers
Ty

Unregistered
you passed up a butt ugly one at the tip when we all went though! that self propelled ugly as sin american thing with more rust than your average falcon.

Forum Historian
Yeah, it just did't work for me, I dont particuarly like steel bases, i dont like newer motors, and I'm just not geting into anything with that much rust (grandfather was a car salesman)

It was butt ugly though, and the first time i have seen a dog-on-wheel swing fram drive system, implimented across the front two wheels!

If it had been in better condition, I would have grabbed it, and fitted an older motor, but seing as the base was buggered, and i didnt want the motor, it just was not for me.

This ugly thing however, realy looks like some kind of early science fiction contraption.

If I do decide to go for it, and I et it, I'm calling it my Cantakerous Gurfunkling Contraptomobile!

Cheers
Ty

Pushrod Honda preferrer
I agree about the A-V's ugliness. Personally I can't imagine wanting to own anything that ugly and that badly designed (the draftsman had to be laughing when he put that old British fuel tank on it, if he wasn't stoned out of his mind), but if we all liked the same things, the prices would be as ugly as some of the mowers.

Forum Historian
I will add that it's not Just Ugly I'm after, in this particular case, having an old kick start rotary is also quite an alluring prospect.

Not only is this the first time i have seen a kick start implemented in such a way on a rotary, it';s one of the first factory kick start rotary's I have seen, and while it looks like it may well be quite an impractical design, it is unique, and that adds to it's intrigue as part of a diverse and unusual collection of uncommon mowers & machines.

After all, what was poorly designed, unpopular or ugly back then, is often rare and collectible now (though generally still ugly) Plus I'm curios to get in there and have a look how the mechanism functions in detail!

Cheers
Ty

Pushrod Honda preferrer
The key requirement is that the ratchet for the pinion on the top of the crankshaft does not run all the time - it needs to disengage when the pedal has returned to the top of its movement, as it does on an old ATCO. From your first picture it looks as if it would have when it left the factory at least - I'm not sure whether it does now. You'd only have to shorten the chain by one or two links along the way, and the little ratchet would be unhappy.

Forum Historian
Yes, it does seem to no longer be resting on the return pin, weather that is just play from age being exposed by gravity in the chain, a lack of return spring tension, or indeed a missing link or two, is beyond determination from the photo alone (at least for me) but maybe we will find out more if Myself, or anyone else from the forum ends up with this, or anything like it.

Cheers
Ty

Hey Ty, I still think it is one crazy-ass machine!! devilchilli lol
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.

Forum Historian
A favorite little trick with terms like that is called hyphen shifting, you can change a sentence by moving nothing more than one hyphen.

in your case, it still holds similar meaning:

"Hey Ty, I still think it is one crazy ass-machine!!"

However, it becomes dangerous when complimenting someones Sweet-ass car!

Cheers
Ty

Yeah, I'll drink to that Ty!! good1 mate lol
cheers2

Forum Historian
[Linked Image]

A History Record is now available on the Austral-Villiers:-
https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=65537

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545