Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Former Moderator
Hi Cirillo,

I've just finally finished my landscaping and full frontal transformation. Every morning when I go outside to water the lawn it's looking better by the day. It's had an affect on one of my neighbours up the street who has just this afternoon scalped his SA Couch after discussing mine with me.

I'm about to take another series of photos to put up and you'll notice no blue tarps over the half finished paving and the feature garden on the corner is now complete. I've just got a few little niggly bits to do (relevelling some driveway pavers) which you wouldn't see on any photos, so I'm considering it as "Done".

Stay Tuned !

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Membership information
Trainee
Great to hear! It's an awesome feeling when you're finally done! Can't wait to see the photos

Former Moderator
Well here is where it currently stands.

I decided as it's such a new lawn, only 12 months old and our season started really late, also we had a wedding which was going to utilise our home for all the girls to do their Saturday morning getting ready thing, I wasn't going to top dress it this season, but rather just scalp it to promote sideways growth and then get it back up and fully green as quick as possible, thus this is the current state of play for the front.

The very rear side lawn (not currently pictured) which is a season older was scalped and top dressed with bricky's sand. It is far superior to the front and side of house lawn as the mower doesn't pick up on the original plugs which creates a slightly bumpy look.

So here it is as it stands. It will be much better after next seasons scalping, scarification and top dressing and as such I'll post up more photos once that's done in around 10 months from now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers,
BB

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Former Moderator

Here's some more similar shots taken the very next morning with a shot of the older lawn at the rear side showing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Below is the slightly older lawn that's been top dressed and is still a tad thin.

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, enjoy using your mower and whatever lawn care machinery that you've repaired or restored as that's what this sub forum is all about.........."The Results"

Cheers,
BB.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
BB looks fantastic you must be the envy of the people around you, how are you doing the edges?

Former Moderator
Hi Norm,

Firstly thanks you very much for your kind words. Yes you are on the right track as our unofficial street committee have approved the works taken out. It's been a 2 year project that started out with it being a native overgrown jungle when we bought the house and it looked so dowdy especially sitting in the prominent part of the street with fantastic views of the Adelaide Hills which were previously blocked out. Now it's open, inviting and certainly gets the "Jehova Witnesses" talking about the lawn rather than what they originally came for and that is to sell us a copy of "The Watchtower". No Offence intended BTW.

As far as edges are concerned they are all done freehand with my trusty old McCulloch Whipper Snipper.

Again thanks Norm.

Cheers,
BB.

Attached Images
Last edited by Bonnar_Bloke; 17/12/17 05:47 PM. Reason: Added Before Photo

Lawn Freak
Fantastic BB! You should be proud of everything that you have achieved.

Former Moderator
Thanks Simon also for your kind words.

As I'm just writing the JW's have just turned up and are walking all over it testing it out to see if it's real or fake and pointing to this and that amongst each other.
I'll have a "Watchtower" magazine beaten over my head shortly.

I'm thinking of posting some really early prelawn preparation shots up so that everyone can see what's been done from start to finish.

Cheers,
BB.

Trainee
Hey BB, I remember you started your lawn with plugs, it has covered beautifully and now looks fantastic!

There's nothing better than knowing your neighbours are green with envy ;-)

Former Moderator
Hi Cirillo,

Thank you very much for your kind words of support. I feel that it's this type of support which keeps me striving to achieve something better everyday and then pass on some knowledge gained.

Yes it's amazing what $68 worth of lawn can turn into and it's much more satisfying than spending around 1K for instant gratification I guess which anyone can do.

I guess that this thread has probably been a bit more of a landscaping thread and what can be done and also the end result achieved and if this motivates just one person out there what they can achieve with a shovel, wheelbarrow and some string lines, then it's all been worth it from where I sit.

I really have to thank a few other members on here that have been an inspiration, I'm sure they know who they are.

In the meantime it's back to repairing Scott Bonnars..........................

Cheers,
BB.

Master Technician
Well done BB I don't normally look too hard at threads like these,but this one of yours wow,that lawn looks absolutely fantastic. I just wished I had a lawn that would even look half as good, but being in a rental propriety kind of stops you from that. Hopefully soon once I have worked out the permanent job situation (and not being casual) I can look at continuing the purchasing of a property and then I'll be asking what your secret is and say goodbye to my bindi lawn.
Once again BB well done and thanks for sharing, I absolutely love your lawn. Great work.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Former Moderator
Hi Blumbly,

Thank you for your supportive words.

You'd be surprised to know how popular this "Lawn Care and Maintenance" sub-forum is. It's in the top two of categories for hits on the ODK site, so we really appreciate you dropping by to check it out.

I can certainly relate to what you are saying regarding the rental issue as we have been in our fair share of them and even though they weren't our properties I always did well beyond what the average renter would do to the owners lawn, thus we were never given our marching orders from any of them, rather they never wanted us to leave. I guess lawn has always been a passion of mine and working at it always instills some pride in the presentation of the property. You probably think I'm nuts helping someone else's cause but that's just in my nature to do.

Once again thanks for your really kind words and btw it's great to have you back here again.

Cheers,
BB.

Master Technician
Cool thanks and no I don't think your nuts I reckon it's good,and when we do get our own place I will be asking questions.
Yep it's good to be back I kinda missed it.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Novice
I concur with the others. It's been awesome to see how your lawn has progressed. Thanks for sharing and I eagerly await the next installment. So great to be able to pick up tips and tricks
Joe

Former Moderator
Hi all,

Hows everyone going with the season now fully kicked in ?

I must admit that I'm literally watching my grass grow, it's just going gang busters. As soon as I'm cleaning off my Scotty I'm just about ready to run over the lawn again. Honestly I'm mowing on a daily basis and all my neighbours think I've lost it and just love the exercise walking behind the 45 and I'm getting sun burnt in the process to.

Cheers,
BB.

Novice
It's still been a bit slow in Melbourne. Things have gone a bit backwards. Might have mowed a bit too low. But things are warming up now. A run of 5-6 days of 30+ coming tomorrow.

Thoughts on this?

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
lawn.jpg (1.97 MB, 5 downloads)
Novice
Originally Posted by rikaussie
Thoughts on this?
FWIW I'm pretty sure this is due to blunt/gapped mower blades.

Have tightened it up, which has helped. But needs a proper grind I'd say.

Novice
That looks amazing Bonnar_Bloke if I get mine half as good as that I'll be a happy man haha.

Former Moderator
Thoughts on this?

FWIW I'm pretty sure this will be due to blunt/poorly gapped mower blades.

Have tightened it up, which has helped. But needs a proper grind I'd say.

This is a rather common issue with badly adjusted reel / bedknife clearance, thus bending and burning the plant. I developed this symptom on my 17 inch Scotty over Christmas and thus had to get my 14 inch machine out of hibernation which is in better working order. I've recently just overhauled my 20 inch machine and that's a wonderful toy to use opposed to a 14 inch machine.

Cheers,
BB.

Former Moderator
Hi Clarkey,

Thanks for that. Hopefully it'll be even better next season after it all gets reworked in October and I'm not going to let it get as thick as it has. Hopefully I'll have a grooming reel going by that time.

Cheers,
BB.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bruce 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545