Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Recycling and Repairs
My mate has a Husqvarna YTH160 ride on mower with a Peerless Hydrostatic gearbox that has failed and I am searching for a compatible and serviceable alternative as a replacement to install on his machine rather than buying a new identical transaxle for $1,600.

As Peerless, now a demised company, were a non-serviceable unit, and there are appears to be no parts available to repair the broken part that has failed (photos attached showing bent pin inside the hyrostatic gearbox), an alternative serviceable gearbox is being sought to get the mower running again, unless anyone has this piece from another dead gearbox we could purchase at a reasonable price.

The current gearbox is the dreaded Peerless 6264-P1 series 205, more precisely being the 205-034B barcoded 205034B202C0132.

Mower had the original Briggs and Stratton motor Model 28Q777 Type 0675-E1 Code 970813-ZE, which has been replaced due to an engine problem.

I don�t yet have the specific Husqvarna year and model number yet, but it could be a 954-14-00-08B, based on the motor being built in August 1997 (based on engine code) although manual advises this model has the Hyro Gear transaxle 310-0650 and the 954-14-00-08A model has the Hydro Gear 319-0650 transaxle. The only machine I found of this vintage running the Peerless seems to be the YTH180, which this machine is not.

As stated above, according to all my research, and heaps of reading parts manuals on Husqvarnas website, these two YTH160 ride ons have the HyrdoGear 310-0650 or the 319-0650 gearbox, so I would expect this transmission to be directly compatible for changeover.

Tuff Torq model K46 also seems to be compatible and used in various Husqvarna models, but so do several other models and makes of Hydrostatic gearboxes for a mower of this vintage. From other forums and comments, the Tuff Torq K46 was not a very liked unit and recommendations were to upgrade to the more reliable and heavier duty K66.

With regard to the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic transmission, I have located a rolling chassis Husqvarna LTH155 for sale at $100-00, which I believe has the K46 transaxle. Could be a good buy if the transaxle is in good working order and will bolt straight onto the YTH160.

Questions now being: -
Does anyone have a dead Peerless 205-034B Hydrostatic Gearbox with this part still in good order that can be used to get this one going again?
Has anyone done a transaxle conversion on a Husqvarna YTH160 away from a Peerless 205-034B? If so, what make and model transaxle was used and were there any mechanical changes to linkages, etc required?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Daryl

Environmentally friendly recycling at it's best
Membership information
Recycling and Repairs
Just wondering if I should delete this post and repost in a different forum that may be more closer to the subject, such as the "Ride-on Modification" forum or "Parts Wanted" area?
Thank you
Daryl

Forum Historian
Hello Bushy

Keep it here I think.
The issue is really whether a member can help.
You've got a good topic heading so let's see if a member can assist.

Perhaps you could ask these people:
http://gardentractorspares.co.uk/we...ch/peerless-801/peerless-205-034b-hydro/

Hope this helps.
---------------------------
Jack

Last edited by CyberJack; 24/10/15 02:08 AM. Reason: Updated information.
Recycling and Repairs
Thank you CyberJack. I really needed a longer heading to "compatible changeover or swap-out", but it didn't fit, so the heading is a bit shorter than I needed. Maybe it should've been "Alternative to Peerless 205-0343B stamped 6264-P1", which may have fitted within the heading parameters, but I can't change it now. frown

Recycling and Repairs
Good morning Cyberjack,
I seem to have asked a hard question, or one that nobody has attempted before.
As such, and as you suggested, I have just sent an email to gardentractorspares, along with photos, to see if they have a replacement for just the broken part sitting around on a shelf or if they have ever performed a transplant using another Peerless model, like the 310-0650 or 319-0650, or installed one from another manufacturer in place of it on a machine over their years of experience.
Hoping for a positive response and will add details to this question on receipt.
Cheers
Daryl

Apprentice level 2
Hi Daryl,

There is a mower wreckers in Nowra NSW, he may be worth a call 0422232937 or an email.

http://www.mowerwreckers.com.au/mowerparts_transmissions.php

Regards
Rich

Recycling and Repairs
Thank you Rich (buckets) for your message.
I have just sent an email off to enquire if they can help and look forward to their reply.
Appreciate the lead to source parts as I have a few more that need help to get back on the road, so to say.
Have a great night :-)
Cheers
Daryl

Recycling and Repairs
Well, unfortunately, I had no luck with gardentractorspares in the UK.
Their reply was: -
"I am sorry, but I am unable to help you with this gearbox. I have spoken to my Peerless expert Graham and he has said that the part you require is a precise piece of the gearbox and you will not find a secondhand part for this and also I have no reconditioned gearbox available.
I also e mailed Peerless you enquiry and this is their reply below:
This is an elderly model VST 205 transaxle.
Unfortunately there are no replacement units for the Peerless hydrostatic VST 205 and VST 705 Series available anymore.
All sold out and the factory does not supply replacement units anymore since the year 2005. The last batch of OEM production units were produced back in the year 2000"

Let's hope Nowra Mower Wreckers has some better news.
Still want to know about doing a changeover from this model Peerless or to another manufacturer.
Thank you
Daryl

Forum Historian
Hi Bushy

Well, you can't say you're not trying all the avenues.
It's regrettable when otherwise good mowers are left idle because
of un-procurable spare parts. So much for recycling and care
for the environment.

Hope you start getting some good news.
-------------------------------------------
Jack

Recycling and Repairs
Hi Jack,
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I have had the same result from Nowra Mower Wreckers. They don't have any parts for the Husqvarna YTH160 either. :-(
Would be good to see the Peerless 205-034B gearbox assembly alongside the Hyro Gear hydrostatic gearbox to see what differences there may be. Husqvarna were no help either. They appear to just build them, so couldn't provide any information of a compatible changeover. That suxs as well.
There has to be a YTH160 somewhere laying dead that the transmission is okay and someone is willing to part out, or someone has completed a transplant of hyrostatic transmission on.
Have a great night/day.
Thank you
Daryl

Apprentice level 2
Sorry about the Nowra outcome.

Maybe you have to take the punt on the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic transmission for $100, if you are keen on getting it going.
If it doesn't fit you would soon recoup your money on ebay.

I know from personal experience that the K46 is/can be a dog of a transmission, my landlord has 2 JD L110's with about 450hrs on them, and one is still going perfect whist the other one loses power after about 30min.

I pulled it down, changed the filter, cleaned it up and changed the oil to 5w50 syn oil but it made little difference.

Recently a few guys in America have been experimenting with Volvo Penta 75w-90 synthetic gear oil with very good results, and is something that I would give serious consideration to changing to before installing in your Husky if you went the K46 way.

Recycling and Repairs
Good morning Buckets.
The LTH150 I had considered as an option with the K46 in it appears to have been sold. I noted in my question that the K46 was a bit of an iffy transmission, like you say.
Still curious about the two other YTH160 ride on models built around the same vintage that, according to Husqvarnas' website, have the HyrdoGear 310-0650 or the 319-0650 gearbox fitted to them.
The question is, will either of these be a direct fit into my mates YTH160 that has the Peerless? Would be good to see photos and detailed specifications of all these, including the K46, for comparison.
The final choice will be the mates if he wants to attempt a transplant or stay with a Peerless, if a used unit can be found.
Thank you for your assistance.
Have a great day
Daryl

Apprentice level 2
Bushy260, is there no way you can remove the pin and have it straightened or see if an engineering place can make one, or has it caused other problems.

Out of curiosity what is the pin called and what does it do, I have looked at a few diagrams and can't seem to locate it.

Recycling and Repairs
Hi Buckets. The thought has crossed my mind to grind the four outside rivets off and see if it will disassemble to allow repair of the pin. I'm not sure what the assembly is called. or what it's actual function is, as I haven't been able to find any information on the internals for these units. My best guess is that the pin is part of the hydraulic piston mechanism, which the broken pin assembly appears to have moved inside the casing. From the pictures, there are 5 of these around the outside of the centre unit. I'll check with my mate and see if he'll let me experiment on it. It doesn't work, so what harm can it do? :-) These are non-serviceable, and there are no parts available, so replacement is the only available option. Not much of a design/engineering department, in my mind, for a company to produce a transmission that was not repair friendly, which is why I'd prefer to see a changeover rather than replace with identical unit.

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545