Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
I have 2 Grass Scorpions, oldish machines and both made in Usa. They don't have an ignition switch. No 1, changed all the fuel lines as well as primer bulb, cleaned carby out, diaphragm and gaskets in pretty good condition so gave them a clean. Machine starts in partial choke but dies instantly. Check the spark plug and if anything it's a little wet so assume petrol getting there.
No 2, been sitting around for years, removed most of old petrol/oil residue as per Big Ted and Grumpy's instructions. Replaced one perished fuel line. Has only fired up once and died immediately. Checked spark plug and it looks wet. Tested spark plug on trimmer's chassis and still plenty of spark.
I'd like to get at least 1 of these to work, can anyone give me some advice please?

Membership information
know nothing
full choke they kick ..... half choke kick a splutter ? try no choke sounds as if flooded ?? just normal starting things ,
full choke and a kick , half choke a little run but throttle and it will . then as it warms up just off choke slowly ? and then maybe it should run and clear up , lot of smoke but then allgood , see how ya go tiger

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
G'day Dave. Did some more work on no 1, another carby clean, replaced all gaskets and the diaphragm. Runs better but cannot run on no choke, motor just dies. How do I get this to run on no choke the way it should?

Thats the question that has boggled man for years...lol
Sound like a lean/fuel starvation issue. I won't get into nitty gritty around carb rebuilds as i just don't bother or have the patience for trimmers anymore but since you've already cleaned the carbs, try replacing/removing the fuel filter if you haven't already done so. If its blocked it wil give your symptoms.

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Thanks Ted, the fuel filter is about the only thing I haven't replaced.

know nothing
good tip , heaps of them here too in a pile hahaha just cant be bothered and hard to sell if you can get a new one now for $80

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Dave, give yourself a real challenge instead of working on those simple mowers grin and try one of those whipper snippers. The older ones made in the USA aren't too bad but most of them will not run on no choke after a short while, agree with Ted that there's probably a fuel starvation problem, just not sure where though.

know nothing
hahahaha ok , thanks for the advice , i do fix them though , just don't enjoy it as much , to much time for little return wink

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Aah yes, but think of the satisfaction when you get one to work, money can't buy that.

Pushrod Honda preferrer
The best thing about that satisfaction is you get to have it over and over again, when the buyers keep returning them.

Qualified Senior
Not only do they return them Grumpy, they expect the $20 they gave for it to include a 12 month warranty. frown

know nothing
hahahha so true it is !!! hence why most don't bother , just keep the ones i use up n running is enough , temperamental little trinkets they are lol

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Grumpy are you talking specifically about whipper snippers? Why do these things break down, is it due to poor maintenance like leaving fuel in them or have they got crappy carbys? When they don't run or run poorly it's because of fuel issues, I would have thought manufacturers would have caught on by now and improved their products but I do understand they make things to a price.

Apprentice level 4
Thing is if Ryobi was to make top quality whipper snippers people wouldn't have to keep buying them over and over again. There isn't enough money in quality products most of the time these days. We live in a disposable society - No-one wants to spend $500 on a whippersnipper they will use once every 6 months when they can spend $80. Different kettle of fish for commercial equipment of course.

I find the biggest issue is and always has been poor maintenance. The trimmer heads especially followed very closely by the carby - people fill a 5L can with 2 stroke, fill the tank from it once and leave it in the shed. They only use a tenth of the tank before the fuel breaks down and it blocks the jets.

The carbies are so small that the jets are tiny and I cannot see (I have quite severe sight issues) what I'm doing so it can take around 5 hours for me to properly clean out a carby and then spend another hour or so trying to get the mixtures right.

I never bother with whipper snippers. When I get brought one for repair I usually just talk them into selling it for scrap metal and buy another one.

My 2 cents worth.

Pete

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Good points I hate wet socks I'd forgotten about the heads on those trimmers. In regards to the tiny jets , what about using an ultrasonic cleaner? I don't have one but seen some good reviews on them. By the way what are they worth in scrap value?

Apprentice level 4
I suppose an ultrasonic cleaner would do an OK job but the problem of the diaphragm tearing and the mixture screws remains. As for scrap value ... unless you live next door to a scrap yard you'll spend more on petrol driving there.

Pete

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Tiger, I was talking about a particular grade of whipper snipper, not all of them. Some of them have features such as half-cranks and tin-pot kill switches that make them both unreliable and unpleasant to use. Also, I do not regard the carburetors as one of the sub-standard parts of them. They do give carburetor problems, but those are often due to abuse (usually dirty fuel) or just the limited life of diaphragms.

It also seems to me that even fairly decent bent-shaft whipper snippers usually have rather short lives due to lack of lubrication of the bottom bearing of the inner cable, and crummy feed spools.

Beyond that, it is mainly a problem of them being too fiddly and sensitive to be usable by the people who are the target market for them. Many owners will not measure the amount of oil they add to the fuel (if they add any oil), or keep dirt out of the fuel tank, or wind the line onto the spool properly, or even put them under cover when they don't use them for a few months. I have one that had its bell-housing broken in half after a very short period of use because the owner chose to kneel on it while he pulled the starter cord. Since we can't change the people who use them, the only sensible approach is to make them so that those people can use them successfully. Both Briggs and Honda have taken that approach, with reasonable success.

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
Ok, thanks Grumpy for clarifying.

tiger Offline OP
Qualified Senior
These have sat in the shed for a year, time to fix or out they go.
No. 1 seems to flood easily. Did get it to start, fiddled with carb adjustment screws and it ran well. 5 mins later, won't work. Looks flooded. Also the fuel lines have either stretched or weren't right but that's what mower shop sold me. There is a small leak at where they join onto the carby. Not sure I have the fuel configuration right.
No. 2 still feels rough to pull cord and now the primer button has cracked. Put a bit of time into machine 1 and hope to get that going at the very least.

Photo 1 and 2 show no. 1 whipper snipper, photos 3 and 4 show no. 2. One of these machines has a Walbro, the other Zama.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
First the flooding is likely caused by harden metering diaphragm.

Second on the fuel lines the 2.5mm x 5mm rubber (Echo)is probably the line to go with. Shop sometime will sell line that simply will not fit the carburetor fitting tightly trying to get a good tight tank fit. An alternative is to use tag wire and wrap a couple loops the line at the fitting and tighten. Poor man clamp.

On second trimmer with primer well that primer replacement is at least a starting point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545