Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Forum Historian
Hello ODK History Lovers

This post forms part of one of the most important articles I have written in this History Forum.

It is of some historical interest and importance that we know the answer to a simple question:
Who was our first Australian power lawnmower manufacturer?

It is generally true that our lawnmower industry started in the 1930s, after tariff protections,
designed to foster local manufacture of secondary goods, were introduced. There was a clear belief
that Australia - now a Commonwealth Nation - should be self-sufficient in the manufacture of many
household goods.

However, prior to this "first wave" of Australian companies (that made lawnmowers), there were a
couple of companies that I do believe are of more significance because - against all odds - they
started local manufacture and design of truly Australian lawnmowers.

The candidates are the great South Australian firm of Scott Bonnar; the other, the unheard of
NSW firm of Lark, Parkes and Company. It is my contention in this article that the latter firm
were our first power mower manufacturers (by 'power' I mean electric or gasoline powered).
Larke, Parkes manufactured a small range of mowers known as the 'New Moon' lawnmowers.

[Linked Image]

This article explores what I know about the Lark, Parkes Company.
If you would like to know about their New Moon mowers, click HERE.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Membership information
Forum Historian
PART TWO - The Company

The Lark, Parke Company was registered on May 9, 1913.
In this earliest record, valuable information was gained. The men behind this company were
Prosper F. Lark, and Claude J. Parkes. The registered office was Foveaux Street, Surrey Hills.

[Linked Image]

The business carried on was listed as, "jobmasters, motor vehicle, and boat proprietors."
This turned out to be quite true, with various advertisements indicating that the company
engaged - or experimented - in a wide variety of activities.

I have found a record (from 1913) where the company imported a new touring car to be
"sold at landed cost". Clearly, importing was not a good idea. Instead, the company appears
to have found its role in engine and auto repairs, sale of second-hand cars, and the manufacture
of spare parts.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Forum Historian
PART THREE - Prosper Frederick Lark

The brain behind the New Moon mowers was probably Prosper Lark. However, it must be said,
I know very little about the other permanent director, Claude Jardine Parks. What is clear
is that changes in the company in 1921 and 1926 have led me to believe Claude Parkes either
exited the company, or played a less significant role from 1921.

So, here I would like to discuss what I know about Prosper Frederick Lark. 'Prosper' is an unusual
Christian name. Perhaps that has some connection with the unusual lawnmower name, New Moon?

In any case, He was one of the early members of the Motor Yacht Club of N.S.W. and there are
a number of newsprint entries for boat race results. He was a boat owner and I have no doubt
that he did considerable 'networking' within this sphere in securing marine work ... perhaps the
repair and servicing of marine engines. I have one record of an advertisement for the sale of
a 22 foot launch from August, 1915.

[Linked Image]

It may well be that this motor boat was Lark's own. I say that because on 29 July of 1915,
married, and at the age of 28, Prosper joined the Australian Military Force. He would be discharged
4 years' later on 30 September, 1919. His occupation was listed as "Mechanical Engineer".

The National Archives hold fifty records on Lark. He would be promoted a number of times
and saw active service in France. A few records show that his wife, Isabel, followed him
to England and her address in 1917 was listed as 17 Digby Mansions, Hammersmith Bridge, London -
when her husband was a commissioned officer. I have no doubt that Prosper saw and experienced
the full horror of that terrible, Great War.

I would like to conclude this part with my list of Selling and Wanted newsprint advertisements
dating from 1914 to 1929. It would be a reasonable assumption to say that the business of the
Lark, Parkes Company was carried on during the war years by the other permanent director, Claude
Jardine.

It would only be on Lark's return from war that significant change would occur.
The New Moon mowers would be conceived and born in the early 1920s.

[Linked Image]

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Forum Historian
PART FOUR - Reconstruction, Patent & Trade Mark

I have one record from June, 1921 that says there was a reconstruction of the company.
The new directors would be P. F. Lark and C. J. Lark [I do not know who C.J. Lark was].

A reasonable assumption here is that this is a typo. "C.J. Larke" is, in fact, C.J. Parke.
The reconstructed company retains its original permanent directors. The company would continue
trading as Lark, Parkes Limited ... for the next few years.

[NOTE: Thanks to member aussietrev for pointing this out - ed.]

[Linked Image]

THE PATENT
Two of the most rewarding finds I made with this company was the confirmation that they were,
in fact, the creators and manufacturers of the New Moon mowers.

The patent - 18,072 of 1924 - lists the applicants (incorrectly spelt) as "C.J. Parker & P.F. Larke".
I have been unsuccessful in locating that patent at this time.

[Linked Image]

THE TRADEMARK
The Trade Mark Application - 41,139 of 1925 - was the second significant find.
Note how the application trade-marked "New Moon" to apply to the lawnmower, its component parts,
and the engine. The company remains Lark, Parkes Limited.

[Linked Image]

I guess it would be reasonable to say, then, that the New Moon mower dates from 1924.
The company had trade-marked its brand name in 1925.

New Moon mowers were being sold at major outlets on the East Coast , including the famous retailers
of John Danks & Sons, Anthony Horderns'; Mcpherson's, Wescott-Hazel, Alex Grahame, and I.B.C.

New Moon mowers would have been exhibited on the company's stand at the MTA of NSW Big Motor Show,
held 15th-26th January, 1926.

[Linked Image]

But just a few months later there would be a big shock to the Lark, Park Company.

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Forum Historian
PART FIVE - Liquidation

Towards the end of the financial year for 1926, an Extraordinary General Meeting was called.
A resolution was passed that the company should be wound up because the business was unsustainable.
This was a voluntary liquidation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The factory at 37-39 Foveaux Street was put up for sale. Just up from the Schweppes' factory,
this area of Surry Hills was described as "pulsating with manufacturing life". How times have changed.

[Linked Image]

It would appear, though, that all was not lost for the New Moon mower ...

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Forum Historian
PART SIX - Resurrection & Demise

Resurrection:-
This was the end of Lark, Parke Limited, but not the end of Prosper Lark and his New Moon mowers.

A new company was formed ... P.F. Lark & Company - and the new factory was located at
154 Albion Street, Surry Hills, just a short walk from the old factory.

[Linked Image]

Things must have been going okay ... because the majority of the advertisements for New Moon mowers
date from this period. It would appear that the Albion-Street address was a factory just for the
production of lawnmowers.

Here is the only record I have that was placed by the new company (directly), advertising
New Moon mowers. Note the large retailers mentioned in the ad.

[Linked Image]

Demise:-
For reasons lost to history, the new company did not survive. It, too, was liquidated and the
factory contents sold off in early 1930. The New Moon was no more.

This record - placed by the appointed machinery auctioneer is a unique glance at the factory contents
"the machinery" that made the New Moon mower. Note the second-last last item on the list. All very sad.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Forum Historian
PART SEVEN - Premises

The Lark, Parkes Company and then P.F. Lark and Company occupied three separate
premises in their history.

[1] Early years - corner of Foveaux and Belmore streets (opposite Schweppes)
[2] Middle years - 37-39 Foveaux Street (on same side as Schweppes)
[3] Final years - 154 Albion Street

In the advertisement above (when the company was being sold off) there is an unexplained
curiosity - the address. The goods were being sold "on the Premises" at 150 Albion Street -
that's next door to the P.F. Lark Company - at the Australian Tool Company!
The question then was: What was the connection between these two companies?

Whilst I do not know the answer to that, I do know there was indeed a connection.
A lucky find from from the City of Sydney Archives from 1927 shows Foveaux Street being
modernised - with the demolition of old slum houses. At the left-hand corner of the photo
is a 3 floor building - this was the Lark, Parkes Company - where the New Moon mowers
were first made!

FOVEAUX-STREET PREMISES
The photo's description is 17-35 Foveaux Street. However, far-left is the Lark, Parkes building.
This is 37-39 Foveaux Street, and that building was also occupied by ... The Australian Tool Co.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ALBION-STREET PREMISES
So, when the Lark Company moved to new premises at 154 Albion Street, the Australian Tool Co.
moved as well. They moved next door. Here is a Google Maps photo of the addresses today:-

[LEFT: Australian Tool Co.; RIGHT: P.F.Larkes Co.]

[Linked Image]

I can only speculate that there was a strong connection between the two companies; given that
New Moon mowers and parts were being sold off by the next-door company.

Last edited by CyberJack; 21/04/15 12:40 AM. Reason: Updates information.
Forum Historian
PART EIGHT - Live Long & Prosper

I have argued here that the New Moon was our first Power Lawnmower, and I have dated
its introduction to 1924 because that is the patent date. Advertisements for the New Moon
start at 1925.

The New Moon machine - it would appear - beat the great firm of Scott Bonnar in
producing our first power mower: but not by much.

Unless new information comes forward, we're not likely to know what happened to force
the closure of P.F. Lark's company.

I do know, though, that Prosper Frederick Lark lived to the grand old age of ... 100!
A search of death notices revealed that Prosper died on 11 September, 1987.

Live long and Prosper!

[Linked Image]

The rest is history.
--------------------------------
JACK.

Forum Historian
PART NINE - Shame & Scandal in the Family

I guess behind every story is another story, and the case of Prosper Lark and his New Moon mowers is no exception.
In Part 8 I said that, "we're not likely to know what happened to force the closure of P.F. Lark's company."
The reason may have involved a scandal!

I found (by accident) a record held by Western Sydney Records from December of 1929, that referenced divorce papers
between Isabel Park and Prosper Frederick Lark. Isabel, the wife, was the Petitioner.
[They were married in 1915, just before Prosper would head overseas to fight in that terrible war.]

I believe a Deed of Separation was granted between the parties in 1929, just months before the company would
collapse. In December of 1932 a Decree Nisi was issued, ending the marriage.

It was this later, 1932 record that revealed the reason:-

[Linked Image]

Was Hilda the reason for the end of the New Moon mower? It would be an easy conclusion to think that.
Prosper Lark was an adulterer and the word would have got out, particularly when the story appeared in
the sensationalist Truth of January 1, 1933.

[Linked Image]

CONCLUSION
This New Year article was the setting for the New Moon mower.

New Moon mowers were sold on the East Coast of Australia and possibly South Australia,
and they sold through some large, well-known stores. The Scott Bonnar Ledger records a few
machines as trade-ins or sold as second-hand machines in Adelaide.

I have not seen these curious machines advertised on any auction site.
I hope that one will turn up at some point - for the record, and as an example of our first,
Australian power mower.

The rest is history.
-----------------------------------
JACK.

Forum Historian
[Linked Image]

THE NEW MOON MOWERS
FIRST MODEL NEW MOON

[Linked Image]

Would you like to comment on this story?
Simply create a new topic in the Old Soap Box HERE.

Last edited by CyberJack; 27/01/18 01:57 PM.

Moderated by  Alan M, CyberJack, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019