Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (NormK, Litl Phil), 301 guests, and 88 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
PTFE has good load-bearing properties in thin films.
It doesn't see much heavy load use in thicker sections, like bushings, though.

This is due to two factors; it is both fairly soft, and very slippery - so its machinability is pretty awful.
The other one is that it does creep [undergo plastic flow] under load, so thicker sections are more susceptible to this effect.

All PTFE sprays are not created equal, too - I've just found the Jaycar product to be better than most.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Membership information
Pushrod Honda preferrer
That is interesting Gadge - I see that there is a PTFE spray sold under the WD40 brand that is just over half the price of the one you recommend.

Haven't tried that one, so can't comment. The Jaycar one is $17.95 as a single can buy, and worth it, IMHO.

CRC also have two types of dry spray PTFE lube; I've only tried the 'Dry Glide' one, which isn't wonderful. Their 'Power Lube with PTFE' is probably better, as it's an industrial market product.

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Pushrod Honda preferrer
The WD40 one is $12.88 I think, at a hardware store. The Material Safety Data Sheets for both versions are interesting. First, the Jaycar one, which is actually based on INOX MX6:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/NA1032_MSDS%20INOX-MX6.pdf

Here is the WD40 one:
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/bluework13728956.pdf

Meanwhile CRC's Dry Glide sheet:
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/3044.pdf

And their Power Lube with PTFE:
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/3045.pdf

So, we find the Jaycar product is "less than 5%" PTFE powder, and there is no mention of PTFE at all in the list of constituents of any of the the other three. Frankly, this does not fill me with confidence in the performance of the latter items, so I prefer to go along with your choice, Gadge.

Last edited by grumpy; 20/02/15 07:44 PM. Reason: Add detail
Yep, the Jaycar stuff deposits a visible white film when it has dried.

What I'd actually use on a Greenfield shaft, of what's on hand here, would be 'Optimoly Paste TA' spray, which is NLA now AFAIK.
But that stuff was about $80 a can, when it was available [pre BP's takeover of Optimol]!

Cheers,
Gadge

Pushrod Honda preferrer
If it were dismantled I suppose I'd assemble it with a fairly liberal helping of graphite powder. To lubricate it in service, probably one of the spray cans of dry graphite lube. It's a matter of history I suppose: I just don't see Teflon (PTFE since Dupont's patent ran out) as a heavy duty lubricant to prevent galling. I like molybenum disulfide even more than graphite, but in dry form, it's expensive.

Yep, I prefer moly-based dry lubes too; but as you say, they're exy.
I do keep a few reasonably exotic versions of these on hand [as my usage is very low these days], but they are usually way too exy to buy for one-off jobs.

Except where they are essential to prevent rapid failure of expensive bits, e.g. the splines on motorcycle drive shafts.

'PTFE' is the generic acronym [for PolyTetraFluoroEthylene], but 'Teflon' is still a registered DuPont trademark, BTW.

Cheers,
Gadge

Novice
Nothing like a healthy debate!! Once the wife goes to work and removes her car from the garage/workshop I'll make my way through the piles of machinery and get to my bench and find out what sprays and lubes I have. I know I have a can of WD40 white lithium spray I think and a can of dry glide as well. I've used the White speay before on my garage panel lift door and it made a remarkable difference. Between all the pivot pins on the panels themselves, on the rollers and tracks, the drive chain and the spring tensioner got sprayed with this stuff and once it worked in the only noise you can hear now is the motor. Obviously the pressures associated between a garage door and the greenfield clutch will be vastly different though. However I think it's lithium based but won't know for sure till I get to the can.

As grumpy and I have said, in different ways, what's needed is a lube that will end up dry and non-sticky.

Spray lithium grease is usually a bit tacky when dry, in my experience.

Cheers,
Gadge

Novice
Originally Posted by Sparky19862
Thanks Grumpy. I've contacted greenfield and they've supplied me with two manuals for the 8 and 11Hp Anniversary Model and for a 12-32 model aswell.

G'day Mate,

Could you share these manuals with me?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

Pushrod Honda preferrer
We do not have those manuals at Outdoorking - all we have are parts lists, and a single owner manual. Those are in the manuals section, which is a subscription area. If Sparky19862 sends his manuals to us we will be able to upload them, of course.

Novice
Grumpy, the manuals I have a more or less just a parts list. I have a parts list and adjustment procedure for the anniversary model 11hp and for the 12-32 model which my mower uses both parts. If you don't have these parts lists PM me and I'll email them to you.

Novice
Just as an update too! Mower still works well. Haven't got the electric start going yet but that just requires a battery.

As for the sticky clutch it comes and goes. Not entirely sure if it's a linkage issue of if its still falling slightly on the square shaft. Sprayed it a few times with some dry lube and it comes good but just not certain it's wicking in so may have to drop the clutch out and reassemble with some better lube.

Also thinking of modifying the deck to add a set of wheels on the front to help maintain a level deck. Seeing as my yard is fairly undulating I think it warrants a set of wheels on the front.

Updates with progress when I can!

Pushrod Honda preferrer
That sounds like a sticky clutch disk on the clutch shaft, Sparky. The best cure is to strip it and clean it properly, then dry-lube it before you put it back together. Applying lube externally won't remove the built-up crud that is in there at present, and the old crud will be made up of equal parts dried oil and dirt, so it is quite abrasive on the clutch and shaft.

It seems to me that most ride-ons have a pair of small wheels on the deck to keep it from scalping on rough ground.

Novice
Grumpy, it does have a set on the rear but it still allows the deck to nose into the ground. So I figure lost new ones have fore and aft ground wheels on the deck so why can't I make the same mod to mine? Surely it should level it out some more!

Thinking this weekend or during the week even I'll pull the clutch assy out and reassemble properly. Might as well, still have to fix the old tensioner for the chain!

Pushrod Honda preferrer
I think the deck is usually tilted slightly so the front is higher than the back. This may be partly to reduce the number of wheels needed, but I think it may also be because such tiny wheels on the leading edge of the deck might cause dig-ins rather than cure them. It might be worth trying it with a temporary rig rather than welding everything in the first place, in case you find it pole-vaults your deck and you have to take them off again. It will mainly depend on the size of the wheels, and the compliance of the system that holds the deck up.

While you're working on the chain, you might clean and dry-lubricate it, and check it for wear. A worn chain ruins sprockets.

Novice
For the Evo3 13-32 the manual says the back should be 6mm higher than the front. Phil

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks for that Phil. I'm now wondering how that can work, without wheels on the front.

Apprentice level 3
Hi Sparky and others, just a thought on your deck , if it's tilting forward with obvious play in the hangers, then you will most likely find the brass bushes and or the hangers themselves are worn. Most Greenfield decks that have no play in them will be fine to use even if they dont come with anti scalping wheels, tilt can then be adjusted by the side adjusters. hope this helps, pete

I always come back to an Echo
Novice
Pretty fortunate with this one Squizzy that all the bushes on this old girl are either hardened steel or gunmetal. None are bronze/brass or any other soft metal bush. Check all that when I stripped the thing right down to nothing. It could just be the fact that I have too many high spots in my yards and the mowers just helping to level things out!!

I've got the clutch assembly out again to try and fix the sticking issue. Grumpy/Gadge or anyone else - tips to space out the clutch assembly properly? Noticed when I pulled the driven plates off that the springs between the square shoulder and driven plates were stuck down hard by washers. Assuming I've got it all shimmed too much perhaps? Found quite a few high spots on one of the discs so hopefully it'll fit in my lathe and I'll face it a lil bit more. Drive corks look new still which is good but I read elsewhere on here that it's suggested to smear some graphite powder over the corks to eliminate some squealing which I do get in forwards occasionally. True or false?!

Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794