Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,416 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Novice
Hi all,

I found this old Victa V160 'Big V' in hard rubbish yesterday and, aside from the starter assembly/engine cowling, it seems largely complete. Engine spins freely so I'm hoping I'll be able to coax it back into life to replace the modern Masport 4-stroke I'm currently using. I like tinkering with engines so this would be a nice little project for me now we're coming into winter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


I'm new to all of this but from research I believe this is the 160cc full crank motor. Is that right?

Can anyone help out with what sort of starter assembly/cowling I need? Can I just keep an eye out for any of the 160cc cowlings such as the one on the red mower in this picture?

[Linked Image]

Or do I need to look out for something more specific?

Thanks in advance!


Portal Box 6
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 585
Likes: 9
Qualified Senior
yep that cowl should do it. the 4 holes in your metal shroud will bolt up most old starter cowls. if you dont care how it looks.
note the fuel tank cap has to fit through the cowl if you want it to be exact.


If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Novice
Thanks for the reply!

So, if I wanted to do away with the cowl (i.e. if I secured the fuel tank another way) - could I just use a Zip starter like this one?

[Linked Image]

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 585
Likes: 9
Qualified Senior
absolutely


If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Novice
Cool - well I went out and bought the red 'Classic' for parts but it seems to good to break so will just get that up and running as it is and keep an eye out for another starter assembly for the Big V (might borrow the one from the red one to test it). I also had to pick up the VC160 too as I love its 70s styling

[Linked Image]

The guy was selling them for $25 each so I thought what the hell. Both are running (although a bit on the rough side) but are solid and both catchers are present and in very good condition. Even the wind-up mechanism on the VC160 works but slips sometimes - takes a few attempts to get it to 'catch'. I'll look into this.

So, having had no project lawnmowers, I now have three project lawnmowers. And a very cross missus.

Is this how it starts?

Last edited by Llessur; 08/04/14 09:54 PM.
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 52
Trainee
thats how it all starts lol i got the same issue but i only got 2 mowers one project and one for mowing the lawn. she keeps asking me why do we need 2 lawn mowers i don,t think i,m going to hear the end of it till my victa 18 Mod 4 is all done and on top of my bar


Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,141
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1