Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
2 members (NormK, Rogerv5), 296 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#54559 23/03/14 02:44 AM
IanOZ Offline OP
Southern Cross Registrar
Vulcan Big Bob
Who made/sold these mowers, it has a 53cm cutting width I would say would be hard to push through long grass
Ian

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NAME

[Linked Image]

CUTTING WIDTH

[Linked Image]

NUMBERS

[Linked Image]

Membership information
IanOZ #54560 23/03/14 03:07 AM
HT6 Offline
De-registered
There you go Ian...kill two birds with one stone....Supa swift and Vulcan/Big Bob. Hopefully this might answer some questions. Id say Supa swift used the Vulcan name on some of its mowers as it was already an iconic australian brand..seemingly too the big bobs relability as the ad states? What do you think......Supaswift made this? Seems highly likely.

"SupaSwift" is a truly Australian iconic brand having been established as a producer of lawn mowers by Vulcan in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir in the 1950s. SupaSwift�s Big Bob was originally designed using parts from the company�s hot water service unit. The design has stood the test of time and the Big Bob hasn�t changed much over the years.During the 1960s, SupaSwift mowers became very popular with lawn mowing contractors because they were perfect for Australian conditions and reliable. They were also originally designed with rear handles that folded up, the catcher was then hooked onto the top of the handle to save space when transporting on trailers.It was because of this reputation that concreting company Fowler Rex bought the business from Vulcan.In the 1970s the business continued to grow and many homes had SupaSwift mowers. It was also a boom time for concreting in Australia and Fowler Rex decided they needed to focus on their core business, concreting, and sold SupaSwift to King�s Parking.Eddie Phillips ran SupaSwift for King�s Parking for many years and enjoyed it so much that in the late 70s he bought SupaSwift and made it his own. In 1983, Allpower made Eddie an offer he couldn�t refuse and became the owners of SupaSwift and the rest as they say is history.Today, SupaSwift is still highly regarded as a mower of choice for both commercial and domestic users and with the back up, service and support the product has from the Allpower Service Experience Dealer Network, is it any wonder this great Aussie brand is the success it is today.

IanOZ #54596 26/03/14 07:43 AM
OK, here's a slightly later Big Bob [1985ish, by the engine code]. As you can imply from monaro's post above, SupaSwift made mowers under both the SupaSwift and Vulcan brands, while they were owned by Vulcan, before the Allpower takeover.

This one has been in my family since new. It's quite original, with the exception of throttle control/cable, rear wheels, flywheel screen; and it's missing its muffler heatshield [that fell off and got run over one day].

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last pic is to highlight the feature that makes this one a second generation Big Bob. Note the gusset at the upper side of the handle bracket brace - this was an attempt to spread the stress, but wasn't all that successful. If you look closely, you can see a fracture on the near side!

The opposite side failed 10 or so years ago, and I repaired it by inserting an internal sleeve, and brazing it all up. This time, I don't have oxy welding available [bloody gas bottle rental charges], so the bracket will be replaced with one from a donor mower [see next post].

These mowers certainly haven't changed much over the years - the handle redesign and discharge chute is about it, apart from a variety of engine offerings.

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
1 member likes this: Random Brad Creator
Gadge #54597 26/03/14 07:56 AM
And here's a later BB, bought as a donor machine. Honda GXV120 engine, but has been 'destickered' in the course of a refurb.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Second pic is to display the 'third generation' handle bracket bracing.

These chassis very strongly resemble that used for the late model Honda Utility UT215 and UT21R models, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if SupaSwift supplied Honda MPE with chassis, and a different handle. Honda used their own blade disc and wheels, though.

Cheers,
Gadge

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
IanOZ #54602 27/03/14 01:58 AM
IanOZ Offline OP
Southern Cross Registrar
Thanks, good to see there is some others out there and now I know who made it SupaSwift
Ian

IanOZ #54604 27/03/14 04:48 AM
Yep, so you can easily get SupaSwift blades etc. to fit your machine.
If you need to replace wheels, the Honda 200mm ball bearing wheels [or copies] work just fine. The big wheels make the machine quite easy to push, as it's not heavy.

The Big Bob series has certainly been through a few different companies, in its long production run.

Vulcan, Jetfast Industries/SupaSwift, and Allpower Industries, that I know of.

Cheers,
Gadge

IanOZ #113198 06/11/21 03:01 PM
Novice
Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was curious about my old Vulcan mower. There's practically no information on line about my particular model so I thought I'd tack a post onto this thread to see if anyone could shed some light on its origins.

I didn't get it from a mower shop. I actually found it on a rubbish tip in Tasmania. All I could see wrong with it was a broken throttle cable. It had compression and spark so I figured I'd take it home and see if I could get it going. I fixed the throttle cable, put some fuel in it and it started easily and ran well. That was about 20 years ago and it's been keeping my grass tidy since then. My previous mower was even older.

It didn't have a catcher when I found it, but I scrounged one from another mower (also found on the tip) that looked roughly compatible, modified it a little to make it fit and it does the job OK.

The poor old thing is getting a bit tired now, and needs a squirt of Aerostart to get it going when it's cold. I don't suppose I can complain considering it cost me nothing and I've been mowing my grass with it for 20 years. And I've not exactly given it an easy life. I don't remember the last time I changed the oil. I just top it up as required. It's only ever received attention when something has gone wrong, like a clogged air filter or busted starter.

Given that it's getting s bit crotchety like myself, I've been thinking of giving it an overhaul. It kinda feels like one of the oldest members of my family because it's outlasted a wife, a couple of dogs, several cats and has now seen me into retirement. It wouldn't feel right to dump it back on the tip where I found it. But the guys in my local mower shop laughed at me when I asked whether they carry parts for it. I think they wanted to sell me a new mower.

Anyway, If anyone can give me a clue as to its specs and a source of parts in Australia, I'd be grateful.

The numbers stamped on the fan housing are:
Model 110908
Type 0471-01
Code 79041204

Cheers,
Cam

Attached Images
Vulcan front.JPG (432.8 KB, 85 downloads)
Vulcan right.JPG (361.6 KB, 85 downloads)
Vulcan with catcher.JPG (431.63 KB, 88 downloads)
Last edited by Weedgrower; 06/11/21 03:03 PM.
IanOZ #113199 06/11/21 04:50 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
G'day Weedgrower and welcome to the ODK forum.

This mower is a 1979 Vulcan Gold 4 mower with a Briggs and Stratton 4 Hp motor ,just a rebranded
SupaSwift mower. https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/54245/5.html

You could dismantle the engine and try and buy new piston rings from a mower shop or online ,rings are around
$30 new or just buy another mower with a briggs and stratton motor then swap the motor over ,it's not
difficult to find a mower under $50. The motor from a Rover or Masport mower should have the
correct crankshaft length.

I haven't put rings in one of these Briggs for over 20 years as I can buy a good mower at a tip shop for $15.

Anything can be rebuilt though ,it's just a matter of cost.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Facebook%20Mower%20Group.jpg (132.81 KB, 79 downloads)
Facebook Marketplace.png (244.16 KB, 79 downloads)
Vulcan1978.jpg (56.89 KB, 79 downloads)
Vulcan-Gold-Silver-Bronze.jpg (285.2 KB, 78 downloads)
IanOZ #113200 06/11/21 04:55 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hello Cam

Engine wise, consumable parts for a 1979 Briggs motor are easily available, chassis wise it would mostly amount to blades, wheel bearings, bushings and axle clips still being available.

Vulcan was made by Jetfast/Supaswift in case you haven't found that out already.

Provided it runs alright without smoke, it would probably only need a few things. If it won't start cold like it used to, there is an issue with the choke, which is controlled by the carburettor diaphram. GA spares CAM506 is the part you need.

NOTE - when you pull the carburettor apart, there may be a dowel pin in the middle with a microscopic teflon washer (usually stuck to the old diaphragm). This is a factor repair to fix a common fault. Do not lose the washer - they are not easy to find.

Do 2-4 oil changes in relatively quick succession to help clean out the motor. New plug (br2lm ngk) and air filler and all that.

Being 1979, it will probably have ignition points. You can put a new coil on with magnetron which will bypass the points. But a new coil is $85. I would suggest scrounging a coil off of a newer briggs (any one labeled classic, quattro, sprint made up to 2012 - not quantum) and throwing that on

IanOZ #113201 06/11/21 08:26 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Tyler, MW and WG,
I've encountered a problem with my magnetron Briggs on the Supa Swift 767 Standard.
After a while of mowing it's hesitating when you try increase throttle.
I'm thinking it may have gunk all over the engine cooling fins. I watched a video servicing a stihl trimmer and he said grime can act like wearing a jumper and reduce cooling efficiency.
Will have to remove the cowl and have a look.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
IanOZ #113202 06/11/21 10:12 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
MF, the few things I would be checking first would be a marginally lean mixture (hence hotter but also explains the hesitation) or if the governor butterfly moves freely ( have seen a few where the plastic has aged and when it expands with heat its base rubs/binds on the coil and wont increase revs as quickly.

With this carby, the choke acts as an accelerator pump – it shuts partially when the throttle is opened to richen up mixture. If the mixture screw is not opened enough, the choke will jamb full on and try to pick speed up. Problem is since there is no limiter, it goes full on and bogs the motor down.

Probably good for Cam to check the same things with his as any of these will make the motor feel down on power

IanOZ #113203 06/11/21 10:38 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I'll have a gander. Will still have to take the deuced cowl off though!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
IanOZ #113205 07/11/21 10:43 AM
I never bother with the original tank and carby Mf ,you see tons of later Briggs thrown out ,just grab
a later tank with the fuel primer and fit that , the good thing with the primer carby is when you run
out of fuel completely you just fill the tank prime and start first time which is unlike the earlier carbs.

I can see some people wanting to keep ignition points and the original carby on an old Briggs mowers
but it costs nothing to change them as there are always people giving away free Briggs mowers on
Gumtree etc.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
IanOZ #113206 07/11/21 11:14 AM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I have two primer tanks I pulled off ages ago. Only thing is the fiddly springs. Hopefully I pick one without a faulty diaphragm should I go that route.
I have no compunction modernising for the better, unless it's of paramount importance to adhere to originality. Not in this case it's not.

I appreciate both your inputs.

IanOZ #113209 07/11/21 02:08 PM
I would always update the carby and coil on the Briggs Mf but it's up to other people it they want to stay with
original parts or not..

The Diaphragm is cheap if it needs replacing and if you use the old carby spring which is stronger than the 2 separate
springs it will work without any problems.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
3.75.jpg (23.13 KB, 52 downloads)
Scott Bonnar.jpg (92.96 KB, 52 downloads)
Scott Bonnar 1.jpg (65.51 KB, 52 downloads)
IanOZ #113211 07/11/21 06:52 PM
Novice
Wow, thanks for all the informative replies.

The B&S motor doesn't use much oil or blow any smoke, so I suspect the rings are not too bad. I'll investigate the possible carby issues that a couple of you have mentioned. If the poor cold starting is nothing more than a malfunction of the choke or enriching circuit, it might be a simple fix. I guess it could also be a top end issue, so I'll check valve clearances too. This is the first time I've actually considered doing any maintenance whatsoever to the engine because up until now it's always been perfectly reliable. Never more than 3 or 4 pulls to fire it up when cold. I suppose it can't be blamed for playing up after 20 years of complete neglect. I estimate it would have done about 500 hours of mowing since I rescued it from the tip.

One of the small kindnesses I did for the motor was to always put a splash of Castrol R racing oil in the fuel as an upper cylinder lube. Although I confess that my main motivation for doing so was not so much for the health of the mower, but because I like the smell. It would transport me back to my old motorcycle racing days over 40 years ago. Imagining myself chasing the likes of Malcolm Campbell around the race track makes a pleasant distraction from mowing the grass.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers,
Cam

IanOZ #113212 07/11/21 07:44 PM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hello Cam

Probably a good idea to check the valve clearances as well. Being a side valve you have to physically remove the valve to adjust clearance.

With the castrol R, castor oil does 'gum up the works' a little bit so it would probably be a good move to pull the cylinder head off and take a wire brush to all the deposits that have formed (they would have formed anyway but there is probably a bit more that usual.

I have been meaning to start adding valvesaver to mower fuel but haven't gotten around to it. In the early 1980s briggs released an internal service document that stated, it effect, there is no gain from adding lead to homeowner machines as most won't last long enough for it to prolong life any, and commercial machines with stelite valves benefit from not being gummed up by lead.

Weedgrower #116603 09/11/22 10:06 AM
Novice
Originally Posted by Weedgrower
Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was curious about my old Vulcan mower. There's practically no information on line about my particular model so I thought I'd tack a post onto this thread to see if anyone could shed some light on its origins.

I didn't get it from a mower shop. I actually found it on a rubbish tip in Tasmania. All I could see wrong with it was a broken throttle cable. It had compression and spark so I figured I'd take it home and see if I could get it going. I fixed the throttle cable, put some fuel in it and it started easily and ran well. That was about 20 years ago and it's been keeping my grass tidy since then. My previous mower was even older.

It didn't have a catcher when I found it, but I scrounged one from another mower (also found on the tip) that looked roughly compatible, modified it a little to make it fit and it does the job OK.

The poor old thing is getting a bit tired now, and needs a squirt of Aerostart to get it going when it's cold. I don't suppose I can complain considering it cost me nothing and I've been mowing my grass with it for 20 years. And I've not exactly given it an easy life. I don't remember the last time I changed the oil. I just top it up as required. It's only ever received attention when something has gone wrong, like a clogged air filter or busted starter.

Given that it's getting s bit crotchety like myself, I've been thinking of giving it an overhaul. It kinda feels like one of the oldest members of my family because it's outlasted a wife, a couple of dogs, several cats and has now seen me into retirement. It wouldn't feel right to dump it back on the tip where I found it. But the guys in my local mower shop laughed at me when I asked whether they carry parts for it. I think they wanted to sell me a new mower.

Anyway, If anyone can give me a clue as to its specs and a source of parts in Australia, I'd be grateful.

The numbers stamped on the fan housing are:
Model 110908
Type 0471-01
Code 79041204

Cheers,
Cam

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...464/filename/Vulcan%20with%20catcher.JPG

Hi folks

It's me again. Not being a mower collector, rather than fix up the old Vulcan mower that I mentioned in the above post, I've decided to pension it off. I had a rush of blood to the head yesterday and bought a new Victa.

If anyone is interested in the old Vulcan as a restoration project, you're welcome to it. It still runs and mows OK, but as mentioned above it's a bugger to start.

It's in Tasmania and available free to a good home. I'll even deliver it in the greater Hobart area if you don't have the means to collect it. If anyone further afield is crazy enough to want it, I'll happily drain it of oil and fuel and package it up. But freight is at your cost.

I'd rather not post my email address or phone number on an open forum, so please respond by PM if interested.

If I don't hear from anybody by the end of November, it'll go to the rubbish tip.

I think I've attached a photo. It may appear as a link.

Cheers,
Cam

IanOZ #116604 09/11/22 11:02 AM
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Cam,
sorry to hear about your new purchase the Big Bob would still outlast the Victa 10 times over. Having said that I hope you get good service out of it. And the reason your Briggs is hard to start is not getting enough fuel for it to start

Last edited by NormK; 09/11/22 11:04 AM.
IanOZ #116605 09/11/22 12:00 PM
Hi Cam and Norm,

It's a rear discharge Vulcan Norm ,it's just a little confusing with the Big Bob Images on the top of the page but doesn't matter.

I just noticed the Vulcan has a Pope catcher.

Norm is correct about the starting issue, you can turn the mixture screw on the carby outward to richen the fuel mix.

Hopefully the air cleaner is clean and the mower doesn't have a spark problem.

This Vulcan being a 1979 may not have electronic ignition as I think the Magnetron Ignition came out in 1982 so this mower
may have dirty points .I mostly just fit a later coil on the early briggs motors to eliminate the points.

If no one here is interested in the Vulcan I'm sure it would be snapped up fairly quickly with a Free ad on Gumtree , I
see a lot of people just put items on their nature strip with a sign the reads free and the items disappear.

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Vulcan 1.jpg (131.81 KB, 20 downloads)

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716