Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Apprentice level 2
This thread is concerned with the Victa Model 4 Automatic/Predicta Specification Guide with Release Date
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look what just came up on ebay. At 118,000 would this be the latest confirmed example?
Serial # 118746
[Linked Image]
Interestingly, it has been retro fitted with a Rotomo throttle like a couple of others I have seen. Would dearly love to get my hands on that one!
Post Edit: See Post # 47970 for more pics.

Last edited by Deejay; 30/09/13 05:38 PM. Reason: Added Detail
Membership information
Qualified Senior
Yeah just seen that myself, thought exactly the same thing about the engine No, I just want the rear flap, but so do you lol it even has the real early starters on it also, it's a Bast*#% living in Tassy sometimes would cost close to a couple of hundred freight, oh well see what happens.

If you dont make a mess you aint making anything.
HT6 Offline
De-registered
Yes Please!!! Lets start again. While Ive been restoring and researching mowers for over 20 years,I still dont have anywhere near all the information on Victa.

Most of the information over this time has been gathered by Example,original records/manuals,clues and some detective work and luck more so than heresay. This Model 4 Automatic still holds a few unknowns. Ive been told so much information over the years by many so called experts that seem to know everything,but yet why do we still not know certain aspects of this Model?

Granted we know a lot and most of It is now common knowledge,But we as a forum need to find the interested members and owners and set up a thread with Model number and Images,so we can decipher the run as well as any other information missing. No point just going off serial numbers without images. A pictorial register will be easy enough with each interested member posting an image of his machine and brief history (if known)

Also any one who wishes to add friends or family owned mowers or Ebay examples would also be helpful,also any Ephemera or techincal info relating to the Automatic,sales brochures,maunuals,op instructions etc.

Now,we know when they started,lets find out when they finished.
110,000- 118,000....The model 3 started at around the 128,000 mark,and the model 4 special had already started, so I think we would be looking for numbers up to this mark of 128,000.

Lets see how many examples we can get and how high we can get the number too!!!. So we can come to OUR own Conclusions on accuracy once and for all!.

HT6 Offline
De-registered
And yes regarding the Ebay add,it looks orginal. Note the colour of the axle mounts and no slit for such a high run...out of maybee 20 or so early examples,ive never seen this on such a high run,She is a mess,but Id buy it in a heart beat!....

Now my main point here is..The SELLER....He has been known to post other peoples Images with mower descriptions. He used anothers images to try and sell a MK1 fan mower and also a Villier from memory. Both were pulled from sale when he was queried about it. Very evasive on questions relating to the Item as well. While Im not here to Discredit this Seller,I WILL offer a Caution to those interested. Please ask lots of questions and maybee even see it if possible. Just a heads up,Hope I dont offend anyone smile

Apprentice level 2
Your suggestion of a photographic register is a fantastic idea, Blue. I think the value of such a resource would stretch well beyond simply being an interesting read. As you've mentioned in previous posts, it's far to common for uninformed collectors to get ripped off by unscrupulous sellers, and anything to help fight the scammers would be of considerable value. Perhaps a dedicated thread to the model four is required, mods?

I'm more than happy to take some better quality photos of my example if the ball gets rolling on this one wink

Apprentice level 2
Thought I would post these here in case the auction ends early...

Serial # 118746

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
smile

Apprentice level 2
And here's my Model 4

SN 117100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Master Technician
Arm yes I'd be a bit worried as blue said as when you look at sellers other items you find this one.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-...Locks&hash=item338444b713&_uhb=1
Which looks to me to be a model 3 with a later model engine.Also why is the location of this mower SALINAS C.A, United States?
What is this to collect more on freighting charges?
I'm sorry why is it also listed as an Automatic I'm glad that I have one as complete as this Automatic and not trying to chase it as I'd be scared if I was to commit to that kind of money without having it right in front of me.If anybody here is going to try and get please be careful don't hand anything over until you see it sitting on the ground in front of you.
As Blue said they have done some funny things in the past with these rare mowers.Also check there feedback 88.9% 10 bad feedback and 3 neutral,and when receives this bad feedback comes off as a smart a*#e remark.Can certainty tell who did the wrong thing.All I'm saying be careful.

Here for a good time,not a long time.
Qualified Senior
$1325 with 8 and a bit days to go, reserve not met????, sure makes mine look good for $150, all it's got extra is the rear flap and the choke is busted. thought I would bid to around $700 just for the flap but this is rediculus.

Master Technician
You never know Jonesy could have other eBay accounts and is trying to push the price up more.I know it does happen.It's not suppose to but does.

Apprentice level 2
Hey Blumbly, I don't suppose you would like to contribute to this thread with images and serial number of your Predicta?

HT6 Offline
De-registered
Ha ha...I told you to be wary! This is what happened last time. The last Auto I saw in this condition with exactly the same parts went for a bit under 800.00. And in my opinion a resonably fair price. When he listed the MK1 fan,The add sounded very convincing and really informative at first glance,and he seemed to know his Models. Wasnt till later after I noticed the Image was from VM and not the Original owners,I checked and pretty much word for word was the description From VM as well.

And without getting to into the Seller,Id agree with Blumbly. Up bidding/dummy bidding is common practice on Ebay,so I wouldnt be surprised. But if this is what they are starting to fetch now...They can keep them!!!!

Ill get My Shed Auto up tonight as well Unkie,But my other one is in Golbourn with half my collection in Storage,But I have the engine no.
My first is the same as yours. My other one has rear flap only and its in a bit rougher condition,similar to the one we are discussing,but with no front bits at all. But they are both Original,With The Shed" One being bought from the original owner.

Apprentice level 2
Look forward to seeing your images Blue. As per your suggestion, I did a quick newspaper search on Trove and came up with some interesting ads for the Automatic. The earliest reference I could find was the following Canberra Times advertisement from the 24th of August, 1957:

[Linked Image]

The next Images come from an advertisement that ran in the Women's Weekly from the 4th of December 1957, to the 12th of March, 1958:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last advertisement is the latest mention of the Automatic I could find, and dates to the 13th of March, 1958. It mentions the "new" Rotomo, which appears to have superceded the Automatic:

[Linked Image]

All the above offers an interesting snapshot on the model, and much food for thought.

Apprentice level 2
Also, on the last appearance of the Women's Weekly advetisememt, this appears:

[Linked Image]

So it appears the "Standard" 18" referred to is the Rotomo, not a stripped down Model 4...

Master Technician
Great work there guys some awesome old adds you have found.I haven't actually seen them before.

Small Engine Technician
Well the auction ended early... maybe it was to good to be true...
I was actually quite shocked when I saw the price jump from $9 to around $900 in one night.
Well as the saying goes good things come to those who wait...and wait I will. And when my model 4 predicta finally comes, don't worry, I will be posting it on this great forum we have started here. Keep up the good work guys.

Last edited by James87; 04/08/13 04:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Qualified Senior
Nice work Unkie, But all this good Model 4 info is getting spread over too many Threads, with the info here and in the tread I started with my new 18's that sort of got swung around plus info in other threads needs to be put in one place as Blue suggested, is there a moderator who can grab this info quickly and put into a specific model 4 Thread rather than all contibutors having to manualy type it all out again???? or I am willing to if advised how to. cheers2

Trainee
has anyone actually got a complete, non tampered with, fully functional example of an automatic? Ide like to see a youtube video of one working
cheers

HT6 Offline
De-registered
Nice Images Unkie,
Seen the last one,but the middle section is great!

Dates are fine for the womens weekly ads. And yes your right,The last ad is exactly this. This is where the confusion started. with the winding down or canning of the automatic,the model 3 STD was released...At around the 128,00 mark and ran along side the plain model 4(undressed Auto as you say). It reatained the Rotomo base of earlier 2 and 2a with the inclusion of the 3.6 enine and cowl set up.

When the Automatic finished,as previously discussed the left over parts,ie bases badges and the like continued along side or with the Model 3 STD....somewhere in this period and prior to the model 5s release,the Special" Name was introduced. There have been a few examples of Specials" BEFORE the release of the model 5. So these few mowers would be the Specials and the model 3 rotomo the STD since it was a Utility or base model.

So You can look at it 2 ways...The model 3 is the true STD( Rotomo) and the model 4 ( dressed down Automatic with left over parts) is just the slightly higher model in options,having the automatic height adjust,muffler and alloy base,but to my knowledge this model 4 never had a name until the Special badge or title was released just prior to the Model 5s introduction. Truly what did the model 5 Special get that the dressed down model 4 did not? NOTHING,just a Special" badge.

Its quite unusual to have two STD models,especially when you have nothing to upsell to a customer.
That last ad Depicts in text the model 4 STD,as it says with alloy base features....YET displays the model 3 Rotomo STD
in the Image. I think youll find advertising fell behind production as older images were sometimes used to promote newer mowers. As you will seee in the first Images.

So if you want to use the term STD too apply to both mowers I dont think youd be inaccurate,as they model 4 version really had no title until that special badge was used smile also the model 4 STD if you will ran well up into the 300,000 range placing it right along side the model 5.

HT6 Offline
De-registered
Not sure if anyone on this forum has a fully functional Automatic. I have only seen one in action and they are not members of this forum. There arent so many around and a lot of owners dont belong to forums like this one. A new member says he and a friend had one each,but he has yet to return with Images. A few members have semi completes that are definitely original. As more pictures are posted we may see a few more come aout from hiding....heres hoping. Unkie has supplied 2 links.....I love this link from victa collector,its an amazing Display! Thanks Unkie.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Bruce 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545