Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
know nothing
great advice grumpy , a lot of folks do get worried by things mechanical . most learn from mistakes , a lot of trial and error but all but a few things work out in the end and a good lesson to be learned , once bitten ? most of/ almost all mine is learned the hard way too . pull it down , work it out then fix it . if still not working ask someone or if all else fails ....... read a book blush

Membership information
Novice
OK thanks, I will proceed with the valve cover removal. Have a nice Xmas and I will talk to you again after new year, when I have got hold of a new gasket.

Stuart.

Novice
Hope you all had a nice Xmas. Rather than take the valve cover off I have borrowed a set of .000 inch digital calipers and measured the tappets. One tappet measured 1.278 inches and the other 1.280. Using the feeler gauges and your clearance measurements, both measure out at 1.286 therefore I have determined which tappet is which without the need to take the valve cover off. All I need to know now is which tappet hole is which. Can you please advise whether the exhaust tappet is the closest or furthest from the piston?

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Look (once again) at this picture of the cylinder and crankcase:
[Linked Image]

The red circle shows that one port - the one closer to the crankcase cover - has thread in it, the other one does not. Briggs taps a thread in the exhaust port of most of their small engines, and screws the muffler directly into the port, because this is a cheap, reliable way to mount the muffler. In other words, the exhaust valve tappet is the one closer to the open side of the crankcase, where the timing gears are, and where the crankcase cover mounts.

Note that neither tappet is closer to the piston than the other, they are both equidistant from it, because they are lined up along the camshaft, which runs parallel to the crankshaft. The piston is almost exactly above the center of the crankcase, when measured along the crankshaft.

Novice
Yes sorry I meant the crankcase cover, thanks for the info. Ready now to closer her up and turn her over. Last time I tried this was before I took the engine apart and it did not want to turn over. I have a new spark plug, filters, oil. Anything else to help the engine out? I will study the Operating Manual about some of the adjustments and let you know how I get on. I was going to make sure she runs smoothly before I re-mount the engine on the mower chassis. Is this OK?

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Without knowing more about your engine's history and condition, that sounds like a reasonable preparation for starting it for the first time. Running the engine without mounting it is a marginal thing to do in terms of safety: when you pull the starter the engine could easily tip over, and amazingly complicated things can then happen in the heat of the moment. The safe way to run an engine is with it bolted down somehow. One solution would be to remove the engine-side part of the mower's clutch, so you could mount the engine on the mower deck without the output shaft being coupled, but at this point it would be preferable to leave the mower alone and just get the engine working. Can you bolt the engine down to a box or something?

Novice
Easy, I have put some tech screws thru the mounting holes into a substantial piece of timber which keeps the engine stable and will allow me to start it with safety. The engine was always regularly serviced, didn't blow smoke and always started for us. It was after a period of 3 months, after I got the initial quote to get it fixed and before starting with my own reno, that I couldn't get it started. Once the new gasket is installed and I have tried to turn it over, I will let you know the results.

Novice
OK, engine is back together wi8th new gasket,fuel oil and spark plug. Everything turns freely but still no joy in getting it to turn over. Where to from here please?

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Stuart, the next process to to check each of the basic functions of an internal combustion engine: fuel, spark, compression. First, remove the spark plug, reconnect the ignition lead to it, and clamp the metal body of the spark plug to a metal part of the engine - usually one of the cylinder head cooling fins is the most convenient. Then set the speed control in the start position, and pull the starter handle briskly whilst closely observing the gap between the two electrodes, shown circled in yellow:
[Linked Image]
(Ignore the apparatus holding the spark plug - that is what you do to make it easy to clamp the spark plug to the cylinder head, if you do this fairly often and don't want to have to mess about each time.)

As you pull the starter, you should see an evenly-spaced (in time) series of blue sparks across between the spark gap circled in yellow. If you do not (you see no sparks or red sparks), we have found a good reason why your engine does not start.

If the sparks are blue and regular, the next step while you have the spark plug out, is to put a teaspoon-full of petrol into the spark plug hole in the engine, then immediately reinstall and tighten the spark plug, connect the plug lead, and pull the starter. The engine should start and run briefly. If it stops after a couple of seconds, we've learned that your carburetor is not supplying fuel to the engine. If it starts and keeps running, we have reason to suspect that your starting problem is intermittent, or is just something simple like you forgot to use the choke. If it doesn't start, we will have to suspect a more serious mechanical fault in the engine, but we won't accept that as a conclusion until we repeat all of the tests a couple of times.

Please go through that series of tests and post the results. A picture or two would be helpful.

Novice
Thanks, Spark plug is fully functional and the engine starts when I place the fuel into the spark plug hole but, as you predicted, stops after a couple of seconds. Looks like the carby then. Are there any specific parts that require photos of?

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Your engine has the Pulsa-Jet carburetor, which is both the best and the most complicated carburetor Briggs had in those days. Here is Briggs' check list of possible faults to be considered in your situation:

1. Leaking carburetor mounting gaskets
2. Gummy or dirty screen or check valve (Pulsa-Jet and Vacu-Jet carburetors)
3. Inlet valve stuck shut (Flo-Jet carburetors)
4. Inoperative pump (PulsaJet carburetors)

You can ignore Item 3, since you have a Pulsa-Jet not a Flo-Jet. Hence there are three probable causes of the problem. The first one is fairly easy to check. You may recall that I suggested earlier that you unbolt the carburetor, air filter and fuel tank from the engine to get access to the valve cover. The two carburetor mounting bolts are the two I showed circled in red on a sketch of the engine cylinder. To deal with possibility 1, you need to check that both of those bolts are done up firmly, not rattling loose. It is not all that likely a cause for your problem, but it is very easy to check. If it isn't that, you are going to have to remove the air cleaner, carburetor and fuel tank from the engine, so it makes sense to check it first.

[Linked Image]

The picture shows an 80202 about the same vintage as yours, but they are not all the same, so first, post a picture of your air filter, then remove it from the engine. For the one in the picture, you just unscrew the large screw in the center of the top of the air filter (circled in yellow), then you can lift off the entire air filter from the carburetor. If the filter is substantially different (e.g. a later one with a paper filter) you may have to remove the top cover to access the mounting screws. Post a picture of the carburetor (immediately beneath the air filter housing) when you have done this, so we can discuss the following steps.

Last edited by grumpy; 05/01/13 07:22 AM. Reason: Add image
Novice
OK, Mounting bolts are secure so we proceed to problems 2 or 4. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks DJ, looks like you have a paper air filter. Now, the next step is to remove the carburetor and fuel tank from the engine. On many B&S engines the fuel tank is just suspended from the underside of the carburetor and supported by the carburetor's two mounting bolts, but deep tanks like yours will probably have an additional support screw. I identified what seems like the right screw previously in this thread:

[Linked Image]

You need to remove that screw and the two carburetor mounting bolts, so you can simply take the carburetor and fuel tank off the engine. Be very careful of the governor spring, circled in yellow below:
[Linked Image]
That spring is delicate, and if it is damaged it will have to be replaced with exactly the right spring.

The speed control Bowden cable will still be attached, but that should not be a problem at present. Please remove the carburetor and tank, put them on a suitable support that holds them steady while you work on them, and post a picture or two. When you have that done, we get to the important parts of the job.

Last edited by grumpy; 06/01/13 02:39 AM. Reason: Add image
Administrator - Master Technician
Hi grumpy, I think you replied to the wrong member mate, this is Stuart's thread, not DJ's.... blush
cheers2

Please do not PM me asking for support. Please post your questions in the appropriate forums, as the replies it may receive may help all members, not just the individual member.
Kindest Regards, Darryl grin

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks Deejay, I think I actually used DJ's name in replying to Stuart. I seem to be working from the right illustrated parts list for Stuart's engine. As my critics would say, "Lucky he got that close!"

Novice
Some more pics [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks Stuart, we have to remember now to plug that aluminium breather tube back in at the lower end (I usually disconnect them at the top, so that is where I usually look when I'm putting them back together).

All is good so far. I see you've removed the control panel - I'll still post the Briggs instructions for doing that, so this will be a complete archive:
[Linked Image]

The next job is to separate the carburetor from the fuel tank. It isn't nearly as tricky with horizontal crankshaft Pulsa-Jets as it is with vertical crankshaft ones, but you still have to be careful of the fuel pick-up tube, circled in red in the disassembly instructions:
[Linked Image]

On the bottom of that tube is a flared-out section, which you have to thread through the hole in the top of the fuel tank without damaging it. Do not try to remove the tube from the carburetor. Note you have already taken care of item 2 of the instructions. Don't discard the gasket unless it is damaged.

Now we get to the serious part. We need a picture of the flared-out section of the fuel pick-up tube, showing the fine mesh on the bottom of it. This will tell us whether Problem 2 (see earlier post) applies. We also need a picture down into the fuel tank, showing whether it is full of grunge or sparkling clean. Let's discuss the results of all that before taking anything else to pieces, especially the fuel pick-up tube.

Once we clear up those questions, we can talk about Problem 4.

Last edited by grumpy; 06/01/13 09:54 AM. Reason: Add detail
Novice
The bottom of the mesh was coated in a lot of 'lint' like material which I have now cleaned off. The other small metal tube/pipe [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
with the brass end had a lot of rusty colored grunge on it which I have also removed. Looking into the fuel tank I can clearly see the bottom and it looks free of material. The well where the brass ended tube sits in, has the rusty colored gunge in that was on the end if the tube

Pushrod Honda preferrer
The burning question is whether either the lint-covered mesh screen at the bottom of the long tube (the fuel intake screen), or the small brass item at the bottom of the shorter tube (the main jet) was actually blocked rather than obstructed. If so, that will have been the cause of the problem. If they were merely obstructed, it will be necessary to clean them both properly then go on to Problem 4. Both because we don't know the answer to that, and for practice and thoroughness now that we've gone this far, I suggest we should go the rest of the way anyway. Of course the first thing you need to do is to clean out the little well in the top of the fuel tank below the main jet, if you haven't already done so. Then, turning to the carburetor itself, step 1 is to clean both the mesh screen and the main jet with carburetor cleaner, which comes from your local auto shop in a spray can and may be called carb cleaner, throttle body cleaner, or some similar name - the counter jockey can point you to the right stuff. Wear safety glasses when you use it. In the case of the mesh screen, you might try squirting it across the screen first in the hope of blasting some of the remaining crud off and out rather than through and in. You will later need to squirt some directly through the screen, but it's best to do that during our pursuit of Problem 4, because of where the displaced crud has to go. In the case of the main jet, just squirt cleaner through the tiny hole in the center. After doing that, push a small strand of copper wire through the hole to verify that it is clear, then give it a short second squirt with the carb cleaner. I recommend that you do not dismantle the carburetor further except in pursuit of Problem 4, which I will now get into.

The Pulsa-Jet carburetor has a built-in fuel pump, which is subject to two main forms of deterioration, particularly during periods when it is unused. The first is blockage from the same crud you've seen in the Problem 2 investigation. The second is deterioration of the rubber-like diaphragm which is the heart of the pump. From the crud you had in the carburetor it sounds as if you may have used fuel that contains ethanol, and if so there is a good chance the pump diaphragm is damaged - we'll find that out.

On what might be called the back of your carburetor is the fuel pump cover, circled in red:
[Linked Image]

You need to remove that cover and dismantle the fuel pump - carefully:
[Linked Image]
Note the roll-pin (circled in yellow) which is being used as a dowel to locate the pump cover accurately. You will have to lift that side of the cover by using something like the sharp edge of a knife blade - which would be easy except that you'd prefer not to ruin the diaphragm (which acts as a gasket) and have to replace it - though you may have to do that anyway.

The objective when you open the pump chamber is to take pictures of the components, inspect them, and clean the compartment and the components with carburetor cleaner. You will also need to squirt carb cleaner through the screen on the end of the long tube (see Problem 2 above) in the hope that it will blast straight out into the pump cavity, carrying the crud with it. (Remember about wearing the safety glasses.)

Aside from getting the crud out, we want to know if the pump diaphragm, component 3 in the diagram, will sit flat with its little flaps laying flat on the ports they have to seal (one port is on the carburetor body, the other on the cover). We want to know whether the flaps were sealing before the cleaning operation, and also after it. There are two main issues in whether the pump works or not: whether the flaps seal, and whether the little cup, or piston (Item 2 in the diagram), is stuck in the bore.

Last edited by grumpy; 07/01/13 04:27 AM. Reason: Add detail
Novice
Photos of disassembled pump chamber before cleaning. No apparent restriction in piston movement. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145