Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (Joe_Carroll, MowingManiac, noileg), 299 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27325 25/08/11 01:20 AM
Apprentice level 4
Hi, this is my first post here. Been buying stuff from Outdoor King for a while. I must say, Great Service.

I need some help here. Not so long back, I bought a ride on to restore to it's former glory, but I haven't been able to locate any info on it. It's a Mobilco 'Emperor', 24 inch cut, and it has a JLO, (German), 2 stroke engine. I'm actually in the process of restoration now, but would love to talk to someone who knows something about it. I've also managed to get hold of a second one, in pieces.

I've attached some pics of it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Membership information
Apprentice level 4
I was just flicking through post's on Reel Mowers. Back in '02, somebody put up a post about a MOBILCO CRUISER. He said made by Mobile Industries Limited. Maybe........

Apprentice level 4
Hi all, I've found out quite a bit of background on the old girl. The restoration is complete, I'll start putting pictures up later today. It drives well too, it'd nearly climb a tree in first gear! hahaha

Anyway, the history.

It appears that this mower is actually a basic version of the "Ariens Emperor", produced in America in the early 1960's. The Ariens model is somewhat more elaborate, with mudguards, a padded seat, and in some cases, a steering wheel instead of tiller steer.

Mobilco, which is an offshoot of the Mobil Oil Company, imported these mowers into Australia and rebranded them as the 'Mobilco Emperor', these mowers were assembled in Melbourne by the Mobilco factory, (hence the reason there is no Ariens model plate), 'Mobile Equipment Industries' in Mitcham, Victoria. The 'Power Farming' Annual of 1965/66 has a listing for these mowers.

The fact that they were assembled in Melbourne, also explains the use of Whitworth threads throughout the entire machine, engine excluded.

The engine, the "JLO", which is actually "ILO", (JLO is a stylised script), was manufactured in Germany in 1965, (engine is date stamped). It is a L197L engine, with a 198cc capacity that produces 7kw, (9.5 hp), at 4000 rpm. It appears that this engine is what was originally fitted to this machine, as the adaptor plate has been professionally made and incorporates additional threaded holes that allow the engine belt guide to be bolted through the punched holes of the chassis into the plate. Another reason that supports this, is that the Ariens drive plate and pully, require a specific design of the crankshaft, which this engine has. My research to date has revealed that Ariens are the only company that provided modified crankshafts for their machines, and modified crankshafts were not produced by the engine manufacturers.

ILO motuerwerken Germany, was purchased by North American Rockwell in 1959, and traded as ILO Rockwell until 1969. It was then that all reference to ILO was dropped. These engines were predominately used in snowmobiles, etc. Hence the availability of this engine in North America. New parts are no longer available for this engine, and there are only limited sources of second hand parts.

Watch this space for more................

Apprentice level 4
A further point on it's rarity, I attended a historic engine/ machinery rally with this machine, and no-one in attendance had ever seen one before, or had any knowledge of such a machine. So therefore, my second machine will also be restored, as much as possible to original seeing as I don't have an original engine, and kept for display as well.

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Thanks Greg, it seems you've solved the major mysteries, especially regarding how Mobilco got access to a rather advanced imported machine that no-one had ever heard of. Did your second machine also have the ILO 2-stroke originally, or did they also use some other engine? A 9.5 hp 2 stroke would use fuel in sufficient quantities to require frequent in-flight refuelling.

The 1965 manufacturing date is earlier than I would have guessed. It makes the Emperor even more of an oddity, and therefore collector's piece. It also would explain the seemingly bizarre choice of Whitworth bolt-heads: it would have been unusual, but not impossible, at that time. (Alroh were using them in the early 1960s, too.)

Apprentice level 4
As far as the second machine's original engine, it remains a mystery at present. Once I start the restoration process, I may be able to determine what sort of adaptor plate, if any, was used. It seems that many American models were fitted with a Tecumseh V70 engine. The 'Power Farming' listing makes reference to a 5 3/4 hp, 4 stroke engine. Quite possibly a Kirby, but the engine brand is not mentioned.

The 5 litre ILO fuel tank actually has a reserve fuel capacity, with a off/normal/reserve fuel tap that incorporates the sediment fuel filter.

Last edited by Greg Holmes; 13/09/11 04:10 AM.
Pushrod Honda preferrer
Greg, James N. Kirby only made Lauson (later Tecumseh) engines under licence in Australia for a few years in the early 1970s. As far as I know none of the Kirby-Lausons was of more than 3 hp, and I have not heard of them being exported. Hence the engine fitted to an American ride-on mower would not be branded Kirby, but might have been Lauson or Tecumseh if it was not Briggs. (Tecumseh bought Lauson in 1956 but continued the Lauson brand for a while - I don't know how long.)

Having a reserve provision in the fuel tank sounds like a good idea in a small-tank, fast-consumption situation like that. It at least gives the operator the chance to drive the mower back to base to refuel, rather than running out and having to walk back.

I notice the Tecumseh V70 had a cast iron cylinder liner, like the Briggs Industrial/Commercial product line.

Apprentice level 4
Interesting, thanks. The 'Power Farming' annual, along with montly magazines, was an Australian publication.

Apprentice level 4
Here's the first installment of photo's now it's finished. In the photo showing the front of the handle bar, you can see a small, copper coloured badge saying 'by', just below that there are holes for another badge. Before restoration, you can just make out the letters, _,_,B,I,L,C,_. So there was obviously a diecast metal badge saying MOBILCO.

The new MOBILCO decals I had reproduced from detailed photo's of the old. It is worth noting that the 'Emperor with crown' symbol is identical to that used on the Ariens Ridline Mower.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pushrod Honda preferrer
Most impressive, Greg. The only point that caught my eye was the housing of the recoil starter, which seems to have a chunk out of it. I don't know where you got the bits to make the whole machine look so original, but you've kept its proper look of simplicity - it takes me back to the good old days. Not a hint of a Carmen Miranda fruit-covered hat on the whole machine.

J
Joe Carroll
Unregistered
That came up really good, in not much time either!!! well done!

Apprentice level 4
Okay, now in breakdown form.

The first two photo's are the steering components, in exploded and assembled form.

Then the photo showing the method of adjusting the second belt for the cutting deck. The disengaging of the cutting deck is via the first belt. Shown later.

The next photo is the clutch/ brake pedal. The first half of travel disengages the friction wheel, and further travel operates the brake.

Following, is the views of the business end, disassembled. The views are as if you had the machine turned upside down and looking down on them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Apprentice level 4
Assembly of the drive into the chassis.

Shown is the components of the cutting deck disengagement. A single pivot assembly, that has an over centre operation in both directions.

The following photo's are in order of assembly.

1. Assemble the engine, belt, intermediate pully assembly, and the disengage lever into the body.
2. Install the gearshift in place.
3. Install the intermediate shaft, then the final drive shaft.
4. Install the primary shaft, ensuring the rose joint is connected to the sliding assembly, then the brake band, drive chains, etc.
5. Fit the hub drive covers and drive gears. Note, the wheels are shimmed to provide clearance for the drive gears.
6. The inside of the drive wheels showing the 58 tooth hub.
7. Drive ratios shown in schematic form.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Apprentice level 4
The Cutting Deck.

This series of photo's shows assembly of the cutting deck. Too many parts to lay out and fit in one go.

The final photo is of the deck ready to fit to the mower chassis.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Apprentice level 4
Now, putting it all back together.

Slide the front end assembly into the rear and locate in place with the collar and pin.

Then working at the forward end of the cutting deck, locate the front pivot assembly into the carrier.

Adjust the carrier to eliminate the deck being able to lift out.

The final photo shows the intermediate pulley assembly, with the primary (top) and secondary (bottom) belts fitted. The belts only drive the cutting deck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Greg Holmes; 13/09/11 06:19 AM.
Forum Historian
Hi Greg,

I do not generally have too much to do with ride-on mowers (hopefully one day) but I have been quietly following your thread here, and I would just like to add my congratulations on a beautiful restoration, of a great, and rare, machine.

Is there any chance you also took some 'exploded' images of the engine, while you were restoring it? I would love to see some more detail of this particular engine, if possible.

Again, Congratulations mate, it is good to see a hard to find piece of history, like this one, restored rather than lost.

Cheers
Ty

Apprentice level 4
The piece that is missing from the starter is the part the starter rope should come through. This starter cover is reversible so that the engine can run in reverse. It's one of those pieces that I will endevour to obtain. At the moment it is extremely easy to brake the rope. That's experience talking, 4 times in 2 days!!

As for the rest of the parts, I was lucky in that the machine was complete, and as I disassemble with care, there was only one bolt that sheared off. It may sound drastic, but I also make use of an oxy/accetylene set to dismantle old equipment. Not to cut, just to break the rust.

With my trade being a Fitter/ Machinist with small engine qualifications, I have performed many restorations over 35 years, of all types of items, and have many techniques that help the job along. I do all the work myself, and have almost all tools and equipment that are needed to complete the task.

Apprentice level 4
Thanks. To be honest, I didn't disassemble the engine for a couple of reasons. Firstly, because of the extreme dificulty of obtaining replacement parts, and secondly, because the engine turned over nicely with a quite large amount of compression.

I have purchased a parts/ workshop manual for this particular engine from the US, printed in 1968, and I am waiting for delivery. Once it arrives, I can then provide more details.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Can't wait to restore the second one and have a pair now!!

Apprentice level 4
Here's some pics showing my other one, third cutting deck, and ID plates. The third cutting deck is a slightly later model with a different style ID plate and larger wheels. The diferent style ID plate may be able to give an indication of the age. It also has a disc with 4 blades, where the one still to be restored has a single piece slasher blade, and the restored one has a two piece slasher blade.

The serial numbers are:

The unrestored mower- 271

The restored mower- 524

The third cutting deck- 765

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pushrod Honda preferrer
An outstanding job of documenting, Greg. Nice pictures, well captioned. That would give the next person to need it, something closely approximating a workshop manual.

I think you made a good decision not dismantling the engine, since things like gaskets and crankshaft seals would probably have to be hand made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545