Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (Murray K L), 991 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Help identify walk-behind slasher
by mower1 - 05/09/26 05:51 PM
Topic Replies
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 17/09/26 10:08 AM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by maxwestern - 16/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by NormK - 12/09/26 07:48 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#120917 10/02/25 10:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 7
Novice
Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a 2nd-hand aussie-built Greenfield mower. I have a large area to mow (about 4 acres), I plan to mow a couple of times a year, so the grass will be long (maybe knee-height) and it's a paddock with some ruts and bumps rather than a smooth yard. Would it be better to wait for a 42" to reduce mowing time, or is the 34" going to be better at slashing the long grass in a paddock. I heard that the 42 has 2 x cutter bars rather than swing-back blades and is more for smooth yards rather than rough areas, is this true?
Thanks.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi slowbuild,

I assume the 42 is a cutter bar as in the parts list it doesn't come with a bolt set.

I'd go with the 34 as your paddock's ruts and bumps are significant considerations. If the terrain is particularly rough, the 34-inch mower may provide better maneuverability and effectiveness. The swing-back blades can work better in these conditions, as they are less likely to catch on uneven ground.

Cheers
Max.

Attachments
find manuals online.png (67.29 KB, 37 downloads)
1 member likes this: slowbuild
Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 7
Novice
Thanks Max, that's the way I was leaning too.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
4 acres is a big area to mow with a small rideon

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
If the whole 4 acres is all grass it would take around 4 hours with a 34 inch ride on mower Norm.

Only eight hours of mowing a year if mowing a couple of times a year.


3hr 14min with a 42 inch mower.

Cheers
Max.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Max,
I suppose it is not too bad when you break it down like that, still hard going on a small single cylinder motor

Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 7
Novice
Yeah, hopefully I can find a V-twin. Maybe do it over 2 days to break it up. It's all grass currently so there's no obstacles to contend with.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi slowbuild,
What is your main reason for wanting a Greenie?

Joined: Dec 2024
Posts: 7
Novice
Hi Norm,
There are a few reasons why I plan to mow with a ride-on rather than slashing with a tractor:
1. They are much cheaper
2. I don't have much storage space
3. I want to avoid compacting the soil too much.

I am thinking about buying a Greenfield because:
1. They mow fast and can get the job done reasonably quickly.
2. They seem to be well built.
3. And, honestly, they look cooler than other mowers.

I'm open to other suggestions though.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi slowbuild,
All valid points, yes Greenies are pretty tough and it depends on the condition of the Greenie when you buy it, some of them have had a hard life and require quite a bit of effort getting them back up to scratch and working as they should but everything on them is fixable with a bit of effort


Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
September
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Benny84, Bauma, Merro27, fernanycia, Hendo
18,134 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,756
Posts106,805
Members18,134
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1