Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by CJay - 19/07/24 12:34 AM
Villers engine numbers
by Bevan12666! - 17/07/24 06:43 AM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by PK5 - 11/07/24 05:16 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 05/07/24 04:55 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Topic Replies
SB45 Resto
by deviosi - 26/07/24 09:30 AM
Greenfield Evolution III 10.5
by NormK - 22/07/24 12:08 PM
Villers engine numbers
by maxwestern - 18/07/24 05:54 PM
Victa SSA201A Catcher
by NormK - 11/07/24 08:39 PM
Greenfield Anniversary 88 Idler Sprocket
by Guliyas - 08/07/24 06:31 AM
HORSE MOWER - Port Melbourne - c1910-1930
by Alan M - 04/07/24 08:43 PM
Looking for service manual Cox Conquest
by MrG6 - 30/06/24 07:11 AM
Mcculloch Super 100 brushcutter
by sirzur - 29/06/24 01:12 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#115748 24/06/22 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor
It is interesting that in an era that is so against pollution, the world should now be confronted by a strange new trend which is causing massive amounts of noise pollution. It seems this latest generation who have somehow managed to get a license, are wanting us to hear them. Are all towns the same these days, or is my town an exception? At most times of the day or night these days I can hear extremely loud subwoofers beating out repetitive, monotonous "doof doof" beats at top volume.

I was of a generation where the beat was mainly background and music was all about the melody and singing, with electric guitars sounding out cool riffs and licks. My parents of course hated this kind of music, preferring slow country and western. Perhaps like them, I have tried to connect with modern music but find it is a lost cause.These days it is just tribal banging and thumping, which occasionally even skips a beat, so you can't quite get your head around it. After listening for more than a few minutes, I get the impression my own heart is missing a beat. The beats seem to vibrate through the air, penetrating brick walls with ease, and even cause the windows in my house to vibrate. If a party is going on nearby it is impossible to shut out this monotonous thumping drivel. My head soon feels like I have gone a few rounds with a young Muhammad Ali. But the worst thing by far are the cars whose occupants seem to think their monotonous thumping is cool. It is anything but. I call it "moron music". The unbelievable thing is you can hear this moronic "doof doof" coming from over 3 kms away. It gradually increases in intensity as the car approaches and is so loud as the car passes by it will make you recoil in pain. The crazy thing is the occupants often have all their windows wound up, so the sound inside those cars must be absolutely ear shattering. I guess the only good thing about this trend might be that those who play this high intensity doof doof will all be stone deaf by the time they are 30, or should we be that lucky? Am I alone or are other people getting sick of this tribal thumping that has invaded our lives? One thing that does make me wonder is how the hell could any of those car drivers be aware of approaching emergency sirens for instance?

Portal Box 6
Apprentice level 3
I hear you, we have similar issues here. There was a fascinating article about complexity in music published relatively recently. It analysed the music that made it into the sales charts since the inception of said charts and found that there was a peak in complexity and diversity in the late 60’s.

Since that time it has been gradually down hill. One of the bits that stuck with me was that there are two people who have written a massive proportion of top twenty hits in recent years. All this so-called music is essentially almost identical and utilises the same motifs, one, which was labelled “the millennial whoop” appeared in all the songs.

The article explains that this assemblage of noise isn’t inherently likeable. The initial reaction to this stuff was tested on people and a huge proportion said they didn’t want to hear it again. However, the marketing strategy employed by the labels saturates all the media from YouTube to local radio along with every venue music “buyers” visit from shops to public spaces with the junk. The sound is often played at lower volumes but when people hear it repeatedly they get brainwashed into a pleasant association which, in a more uncertain world, makes them latch onto it.

With regard to idiots in cars, the solution to morons is common action. Most people don’t like being assaulted by their antics. If you and your neighbours take down number plates and report idiots to the authorities they’ll find something else to do rather than harass people in your area. Sometimes it can take letters to local mp’s and multiple reports.

I’ve had very frustrating experiences with hoons here, doof doof music, racing, burnouts the lot, all at ten times the frequency since the release from CoVid lockdowns. We have to feed our democracy with our interests.The business lobby eats up so much time with politicians that genuine concerns from voters seem to take a back seat.

Senior Contributor
I found it interesting that when browsing about this noise online, you can actually download what is termed "car music". This is nothing but a collection of very repetitive and very loud beats, designed to give your subwoofers a really good work out and drive everybody in the suburbs crazy. As for taking down number plates, it is a lost cause. By the time I look out the window or go outside the car is gone. Seems the ones who play loud doof doof are also the ones who speed. There is a young bloke lives a couple streets away who plays this drivel 24 hours a day. Apparently he goes to sleep to it. He turns it down at night, but it is still annoying enough through the vibration set up by those subwoofers to keep me awake. Oddly, putting your head under the pillow actually makes the sound even more invasive. Subwoofers set up a kind of weird vibration through the air which penetrates windows and walls with ease. So another peculiarity of this moron music is that the thumping beats are actually more penetrating if you are inside your house rather than outside. There is just no escaping it at times apart from ear plugs. I've thought of writing to MPs requesting that subwoofers over a certain impedance should be banned, but would probably come off sounding like a complaining tool.

P.S. Maybe I could make a buck selling recordings of old Victa 18s running full throttle and idling down without a big hole in the muffler? Just a thought! It would sound pretty much the same.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Lately I've been ultra irritated and tormented by a couple of motorbike riders with deafening engines that could be heard from an interstate capital city!
I despise loud motorbikes as they just sound so overtly aggressive and lairy!! They cannot be legal. I think they set them up that way between regos.
Music these days is set up by a computer algorithm and the idiot replaceable masses lap it up and act like it's the epitome of new and edgy.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Senior Contributor
MF, Had to laugh one day listening to a couple young fellas talking about modern music. One said to the other "Remember the good old days when such-and-such was a big hit?" That song had only been released about a year ago! Time is relative, just as Einstein told us. :-) Agree with you about the loud motorbikes. Had a couple of hoons around here who were riding bikes that sounded like they had no exhaust system. I don't mind the healthy splutter from an old Harley mind you.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
A lot of these useless oxygen sponges act like history started two years ago. I call them the Pol Pot crowd who self declare it is now year zero and the past is meaningless. I declare their existence meaningless. How do you like that??

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
1 member likes this: vint_mow

Moderated by  Bruce, Deejay 

Link Copied to Clipboard
July
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Newest Members
LawnLuke, chris s, _s.fletcher_, Waynefury, yambuk
16,845 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,730
Posts104,732
Members16,846
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace