Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Junior Technician
I finally got one but I don't know what I'll do with it.......
Maybe use it for a BBQ chair.....
speedy

Attached Images
cart.jpg (425.75 KB, 165 downloads)

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
Membership information
Novice
So can I.
I wish I lived alone in a large house. Motorbikes and lawnmowers could then be stored properly, under cover, and out of the weather.
I have had a lot of my former enjoyment of this hobby destroyed by a woman that refused to allow me to continue filling the place with lawnmowers I was collecting and working on. Problem is I don’t own a house to put them all in, Sydney being what it is.....
Perhaps one day.
I live in hope....
2stroker

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Give women power, the world collapsed, and I don't just mean biological women!!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
Im a bit lost with what the last 3 posts have to do with "this weekends finds" but at least speady had a picture of something. Sorry I'm just lost with where the last 3 posts were leading or eluding too. But any way,

This is what I've come across and this is a piece I thought I would never find one of, that was available to buy and I couldn't even find a picture of a sheerline not a 4 star but the sheerline front plastic flap. I can find the red one but not this colour.

Then I ran into someone on my journey who had an original set of front and rear flaps for more than 1 Sheerline, at least 1 4 Star and may have the set for the Cadet and the Envoy 4-stroke because I didn't have time to stay and go through everything.
I also picked up a second housing for the larger black choke/airfilter that I can replace the internals for and have the Victa one on my V6 sheerline when it's finished.

So here is my sheerline front flap that I picked up last weekend and the 2 choke housings I have with the Victa logo printed on the face.

Attached Images
20220211_145201.jpg (151.09 KB, 126 downloads)
20220211_145210.jpg (139.1 KB, 127 downloads)
20220211_145221.jpg (210.93 KB, 127 downloads)
20220211_145230.jpg (242.64 KB, 126 downloads)
20220211_145249.jpg (130.81 KB, 126 downloads)
20220211_145309.jpg (161.15 KB, 127 downloads)
20220219_180317 (3).jpg (118.13 KB, 126 downloads)
20220219_180317 (2).jpg (165.72 KB, 126 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
First Seanoss congrats on finding those handy parts on your travels.
Secondly we were making the point that not everybody is in your fortunate position of total freedom to bring home as many mowers as you can physically accommodate without being answerable to anybody, especially a female who is far less likely to understand and tolerate your interest, let alone a collection.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
1 member likes this: Seanoss
Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
Ahh now I understand! Even I have limitations without a female involved. I wish I had much much more property to keep on getting large bundles of cheap mowers but unfortunately I've decided that I'm sticking to a certain few that get stored safely under cover, no matter how many I want to have I have to admit that I have a capacity and I think it would be unfair to keep going after certain models when it's just vanity to have these models. Case and point any power torque model I have including my red 83-84 one, I really don't love it, so I'm going to move it on to someone who actually is looking for one but doesn't have the budget of others or the luck that I have....

The only power torque model I really want is one of the chrome ones I posted a picture of that you had memories of. It's nothing against the mower, the engine or anything except they're just not appealing to me...... just like the VC-SPORT models aren't appealing to others, like some don't collect anything after 1960.

My collection is based on 2 things, what appeals to me and mowers or models that I find important in the evolution of the humble 2-stroke mower, yes power torques are included in that and I have the first model but I don't love it, I won't lie! I can't help it, it's not my style....... the V6 sheerline with all the bells and whistles, the Impala 2, the blue and purple VC-SPORT and the 75-76 Eclipse by victa store brand with the dark green base with its clean high arch and fluoro orange cowl in that very distinctive and futuristic look especially when I find a catcher that matches the dark green base, I think I have found one. I know that these definitely are probably only a list of my top 4 mowers and if you pushed me for 1 more it would be a model 1 rotomo.

I just don't want to offend you MF as I know you love power torque models deeply! But I just like other models more and I don't have enough room to safety keep collecting these because they will just be out in the weather and I can't do that. So I know I go on about being able to collect a bunch of mowers but even I have to pull myself up because it's not all about me......

Threw in a quick picture of the stuff that fits on my little chest of drawers top, these are collectables and parts to eventually go on finished model restorations. The drawers below are full of stuff like this, that's all I could get on top.

Attached Images
20220219_223803.jpg (185.17 KB, 118 downloads)
This is just my collectable and parts to eventually go on mowers once they are ready.
Last edited by Seanoss; 19/02/22 10:10 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I personally like being surrounded by objects I'm fascinated with but clutter isn't good for your mental well being or lifestyle.
I really want to pare back my collection. You end up with too many projects you'll never finish and you have to stick with a select few of the ones you are really into.

It's a shame you're not as passionate about the PT thumb latch alloy models as I believe they were the peak in performance for tackling thick overgrown lawn. A tad better than the full crank in power terms, if not longevity.
The best mower I ever used was a 1980s PT Silver Streak in about 1991 when it was in near new condition. It was so easy to start and ran so smooth and looked great. I felt like I was driving a new late model car when I mowed someone's overgrown yard with it.

Last edited by Mowerfreak; 20/02/22 04:45 AM.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
If it comes down to the superior 160cc engine the PT does win hands down. My opinions are purely based on looks. There are some early model mowers that are very collectable, rare and valuable but im not interested unless one falls into my lap for a cheap price, purely because they don't visually appeal to me.

So it's nothing against the PT itself, it's the change from fashion and flair to putting preference on profits. That's fair enough in this capitalist world. If I was in the management department and it's all about profit, I do the same! I don't like most 60's models either, too Brady bunch for me all those lifeless colour schemes. So it's just my taste in looks, not the mower or engine itself. I'll amend my preview statement about the only one I'd want in my permanent collection would be the chrome one to, I'd take the silver/chrome one and a Mustang with the optional V40 cowl. I did like the white and black 2 tone with mower and catcher, with red accents on decals like the TORBO DISC decal on the base of mine.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I saw the Powertorque models on thumb latch base as an updated continuation of the first thumb latch models from the early 70s like the VC 125 mark III and VC Mustang plus the Victa Two Stroke Hi Arch my neighbour had with the G4 125 combo with creme corsair style top and gold base.
I thought the next generation Powertorque engines suited the sleek thumblatch base so well and looked even more modern in appearance and just looked like the right sort of progression fot Victa's line up.

Did you notice how the top tier Mustang engine cover (not Vortex) meets the catcher top almost like a seamless continuation, giving the mower a harmonic sleek appearance overall. The way the motor is perfectly level with the top oh the catcher to achieve that aerodynamic look to impress the Joneses with?
The side pull full crank Mustang and Powerplus were the only full cranks that achieved those attributes. The Corvette almost did it but has an unnecessarily raise in the plastic around the fuel fillet that "ruins" it.
The cup starter high arches do achieve the illusion of it but rise up a bit due to the top mounted starter.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
I love your passion MF and you show it so much with trying to convince me why the PT models are beautiful and even explaining why "you" have a passion for these models and their beauty.

I wish I could explain so simply why I love the models I love but maybe that's the difference between you and I! Everything that I kind of see in your explanation shows uniformity and reasons and thus you can explain your reasoning behind your passion for them. Where I can't explain simply why I like the models I do like and why, if I have to pick 2 top models it's the sheerline and my store brand Eclipse and it's the things that don't make sense on them that I find beautiful! They don't flow like certain models that have been perfected for the market it's targeting over a period of time and many "innovations" to come to something perfect for the market.

The sheerline is beautiful to me in a way I can't explain and the Eclipse is beautiful to me for all the reasons that most traditionalist or median collectors would find it ugly but I see the beauty in the imperfections that others see. I guess that's the only way to explain it.

1 member likes this: Mowerfreak
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
So it's no longer the 1970s high arches that started it all? I personally cannot understand this fascination mower people have with this ancient stuff from the 60s and before. They are ugly and uninteresting to me and just too overtly old.
If you felt the same way about the PT stuff I'd just shrug it off as having a different taste and experience with mowers than I do.
What's this eclipse look like??
Is It the one with Corssir style plastic cover?

Last edited by Mowerfreak; 21/02/22 10:52 AM.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
So I've been collecting for just over a year and in that very very short period of time my answers for questions like what got me into it or why I love this stuff have evolved dramatically and I'm guessing will continue to evolve, not change but grow.

The way you're so passionate about the accuracy and all of the fine details of the PT models with everything working perfectly in unison, shows me why you love it! What I see is a guy who sees the PT and certain models around it as being the first time that Victa got it, in your opinion, all correct! The way everything lines up and fits perfectly and the engine and the list goes on for you.

I see this like, you like DA Vinci paintings and I like Picasso.

Are either of us wrong? Or is there one thats a better artist? NO to both, a big NO to both because it's personal taste that dictates what we find appealing and we have very little say in our person taste.

I'll be straight. The power torque models bar the top end all look like crap to me, actually I only like the chrome looking one. Ugly boxy engine, same cheap plastic cowl for all, a choice of a base of weak sheet metal or a more expensive alloy cast that actually broke easily with big rocks, black catchers only. To me the power torque signalled the end of getting to choose a piece of art to mow your lawn with from a huge range of choices, to getting the most efficient and cheap product and all for profit margins. Taylor'd to certain markets. To me the power torque was the end to making mowers look great!!!

So the way you feel about some of the older models is how I feel about anything that came after 1980. I didn't want to be so straight about it, but you asked in such a broad statement about mowers from before 1960, and then you picked the wrong model as the argument for its beauty. I'm sorry but ask every mower person the question on what's better looking a model 1 Rotomo or a power torque commando. I'm sorry but I'd say a minimum %95 of the population would say M1 any day. The PT was where style went to die...... yeah profits for the company went to grow but style went to die.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I really appreciate your in depth explanation and I agree with you on the less abstract artistic appeal of the SPFC/PT era. Many things I admire are more square and less intricately shaped but still like some curves to be present but overall square and angle dominated and overtly 1980s looking.

Your example of preference for a 60s shape Chevrolet over the boxy 1980s one is a perfect summation of the situation. Authenticity is paramount.

The PT is part of my long term memories and thus there is a powerful sentimental attachment from an era where the latest modern square designs were what people aspired to. Those same designs have lost their appeal these days, considered outdated precisely because of their abundance of angles and straight lines, now considered dull.
We've now gone to computer designed intricate shapes that are very different to the human made from the heart designs. I think I just touched on the appeal of the classic designs of three generations ago and more.
My tastes are the 1980s designs of my childhood or 1970s that look ahead of their time like the VC mowers.

Last edited by Mowerfreak; 21/02/22 04:45 PM.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
This is why I have such respect for you MF! You have your opinion but you're very open to seeing the point of view of others and don't discriminate that opinion as long as it makes sense!!!

I get why you love certain models and for your reasons just like me! Yeah I'm going to evolve my opinion as time goes on, I've been doing this just over a year long and I have so much more to learn and discover.
Some may see my opinion evolving as me trying to please others or using it as an excuse when I make a mistake with something. But I'm happy to be wrong and have it pointed out respectfully because being wrong means to find something new and I love finding out new stuff especially if its something that most have only speculated on. 

But in my opinion if people are not open to new ideas or willing to evolve their own opinions, especially ones they have made on their own, then they aren't doing anyone any favours by pushing them on others that don't agree and I'm sorry to say that their ignorance leaves them to what I think is a very boring life.

PS, I'll get some good pictures of the Eclipse in the next few days! Yes it's the 75 store brand with a very dark green base, fluoro orange cowl and I'm trying to find a matching dark green catcher and I'm close but not there yet! It has a high arch design without the pleat on the arch but also a smother finish compared to the Silver Corsair and Green Contessa store brand high arch bases I have from a similar era.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
My taste will evolve as I continue this passion, it is a passion now not a hobby. But I will always find "MY" V174 Green 1975 VC-SPORT that I found on the side of the road that started all of this for me will be a pivotal and unmovable force in the evolution of my favourite models, brands, types and era of mowers and why as time goes on.

That's the thing with me, my opinions and taste. Nothing is set in stone with me, I'm open to new information and open to others thoughts and willing to see their point of view. Doesn't mean I'm a sheep either, I just don't want to be closed off to new ways of seeing things........

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
You had me encouraged when you showed signs of appreciating the premium Powertorques so there is a sinking feeling that you don't share the enthusiasm anymore. Too many people obsess over very vintage stuff and the modern vintage era falls through the cracks, like when they love showing 200 year old "stereotypically vintage" historic footage or five minute old stuff but very little if any from the magical 70s and 80s. That situation has improved from the TV stations thank goodness, not a moment too soon though.

I can't make anyone like what I like but the gulf in tastes with so many others into certain vintages or styles can be isolating.
At least I know I'm being natural and authentic when I stick with my tastes despite the majority being into certain other vintages/models.

Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
I haven't changed my tune, I do still like the Vortex design and I do actually really like the white mustang with the optional V40 cowl and red decals but that's where it comes to an end for me "at the moment".
But that also doesn't mean I've closed the book on what I find attractive. In my opinion anyone who isn't open to try and put themselves in someone else's shoes and really "LISTENING" to others opinions or ideas about why they find something attractive or interesting and won't be open to changing the way they think about or look at something, to me are the ones that jump up and down when someone does something with "their" mower their "own property"  are a bunch of childish socks. Any one who wants to say I change my opinion to people please but if I find the perfectly matching catcher for my Eclipse then that will be my favourite mower! It's rare but not seen as collectable, you wait until I show you mine finished, you will be seeking out these fluoro cowls because the colour schemes that they set up with these are just so perfectly executed.
You should know me well enough MF to know I'm no people pleaser and you are the only reason why I ever even considered the PT models.

What I will say is that I did realise is that even tho I live alone I do have limited space and right now the red and yellow vortex mowers I own just aren't high on the priority list as I have many many other models I like more and want to finish off. I don't collect 4-stroke and it's not because I don't like 4-stroke mowers it's because I've got enough on my plate with my 2-stroke mowers that the extra time needed on a 4-stroke engine just isn't economical, time wise, and that's how I feel about my red and yellow vortex. I like them and I'd love to return them to their original glory but I just won't get around to it and I know it! I'm sorry if the vortex are low on my list of models that I find appealing, doesn't mean I've changed my tune I've just decided to prioritise. Your prioritise and my prioritise are completely different and that's OK mate!!!

So this is my 1975 build Store Brand Eclipse by Victa High Arch. It's %100 a 1975 build engine, I see no signs of any engine change at any stages.
It has the cylindrical shaped airfilter/throttle-controller that comes out over the arch so the primer cap can face outwards and easy to access, now I've only been collecting a short time but this is the earliest engine number I've seen with this set-up as the 75-76 V174 VC-SPORT doesn't and the 75-76 V173 Mustangs I've come across all have remote primers and the first engine year I know of to have the alternative set-up, again in my short time collecting, is a 1977 build, I think Mustang from memory but It could definitely have that wrong and it could have been my store brand Contessa. I'll check another day.
The base cast shape is similar to the other store brand bases I own but not exactly the same. It's definitely a heavier cast than 2 of my other 3 and the main difference in looks is that 2 of mine that are lighter both have a pitted look, it's not an effect from anything done to the bases aftervwards. Its definitely part of the design of these other 2.
The colour is this amazing dark almost hammer tone green but not quite and the catcher I still need to go pick up is the one I think that's actually made to match the colour of this base.

I think my main tastes in what appeals to me on a mower is what most see as a defect I see beauty in the defects. I like what everyone else hates...... I don't do it on purpose that's just the way my brain works, it works different to most others and there is nothing wrong with being different!!!!

I seriously hope you like this eclipse as much as I do. I took some pictures with water on the cowl so you can see the actual vibrant original orange and the base is grubby as but I cleaned a spot for you to see the actual colour and zoomed in. I just love everything on this mower and the catcher pictured is the one I'll be picking up once I'm up to driving long trips.

PS MF, you're not the only person who collects PT, maybe the bulk you run into and the few who are active on ODK aren't but before I left Facebook for good last December and there is an entire page committed to PT mowers. So it's not you VS the world. You just choose to stay within the confines of a smaller mower community than I do because 2 of the 3 people I consider the ones I trust and respect are all PT and the other started on PT but his tastes evolved over his 10 years and he actually likes obscure brands from the late 50s and early 60's and these aren't considered valuable, rare, but not valuable and he loves them for the same reasons I love the ones I do but his work horse is a PT and he loves it!

Do you hear me trying to convince you that the mowers I find attractive should be attractive to you and give you a list. Nope. I'm not trying to cause conflict, I'm just trying to make you understand that just because you have taken a very strong opinion or stance to explain "WHY" I should find them attractive so much to the point that your picking out statistical reasoning to try and convince me, I have a certain point of view of that era as the loss of doing things because they looked good and removing colour from catchers and I'll be %2000 clear!!! I do like the White mustang with the V40 optional cowl and the red decals as they off set the white perfectly and you almost dont notice that the catcher is black. I'd really really love one of those chrome looking mustang GTS that were given put as prizes for good sales stuff.
I love your passion!!! It keeps this alive but it's not as dead as you may think, it's just hard for the true collectors to come out and express their appreciation or love of anything related to the mower stuff when the big personalities cut them down when they do something they don't like but this is the thing, it's not their stuff!!! I just don't care any more and I'll keep saying what I say because it's me being honest and If I want to use a model 1 rotomo as an anchor for my boat that's my right! Now morally is that wrong, to me it's absolute sacrilege and I would love to string the person up who does it but it's their right! It's their property.

I have to support so many others that have been collecting for much longer than me with the bullying and harassment they get online for just trying to share their passion and the way they use or treat their collection.  Over opinionated and aggressively commenting negative comments on others post I's just a show of how weak these people are, I'm constantly helping new people because the Facebook pages may have been made in good spirits but the guys in charge have found it a good tool to rip off unsuspecting new people and I go out of my way to tell people that they are getting ripped off! I don't care if that rocks the apple cart but I don't care any more and I'd love to meet some of these scammers in person. Because once that keyboard isn't there to protect their anonymity , keyboard warriors, and they actually run into me they won't be so aggressive. No one on here has actually met me in person and I show areas of my personality that leaves people to believe I'm a submissive and easy to push over, then they see the 6 foot 5 bloke that my own father has mistaken me for a criminal before and all the puffing of the chest, deflates very very quickly when the stories that they have been telling you are obviously the attempts of a person who's scared and even tho I think they are wankers, I'd never say that to anyone just because that's the only way they cope.....

Attached Images
20220222_124120.jpg (426.04 KB, 72 downloads)
20220222_124315.jpg (342.19 KB, 73 downloads)
20220222_124453.jpg (180.02 KB, 70 downloads)
20220222_124432.jpg (356.28 KB, 71 downloads)
20220222_124918.jpg (77.72 KB, 72 downloads)
20220222_124325.jpg (32.13 KB, 71 downloads)
Screenshot_20211127-083701_Facebook.jpg (156.68 KB, 72 downloads)
Screenshot_20211127-083709_Facebook.jpg (173.96 KB, 72 downloads)
Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
Only a year in waiting.

BUT SO WORTH IT!!!

Newbie with a mission!!!!

Attached Images
received_350317573806242.jpeg (231.21 KB, 50 downloads)
received_353627869884738.jpeg (201.3 KB, 50 downloads)
received_3029942193937370.jpeg (180.64 KB, 50 downloads)
Seanoss Offline OP
2-stroke mower addict!
Feeling a little flat so a bit of retail therapy and found my first victa plaster or porcelain cast.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20220731-193006_eBay.jpg (77.02 KB, 31 downloads)
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Sean,

The Victa Bunnykins looks cool, also should go up in value.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/u...yal-doulton-bunnykins-figurine-2009.html

I think the Ned Kelly Bunnykins in the most expensive one , image below isn't mine..

Cheers
Max.

Attached Images
Bunnykins.jpg (29.4 KB, 15 downloads)
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145