Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (MarkusB), 3,999 guests, and 1,904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#104800 30/03/20 02:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 1
Novice
Hi

I have ALMOST managed to strip down my 14" SB 45. I have been stuck trying to break down the rear roller for more than a day.
The drive side half of the roller was relatively easy to remove. However, the non-drive side has been a problem.
I have tried to remove the bearings, but they have not budged. I even soaked them in degreaser overnight.
So I reverted to removing the pawl holder to attack it from that side.
My problem is that I have not been able to remove the woodruffe key. I have attempted all the various suggestions in the Bonnar Bible without any luck. All I appear to be doing in messing up the key.
Would it be worth trying to drill or grind out the key?
Your suggestions appreciated.
Regards
Foles


Celebrating 50 years of mowing lawns with my Scott Bonnar 45s

SB 17533
SB 18452
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi Foles,

I've never had any issues removing one. Worst case scenario is place a pin punch along the shaft and resting it against the tip of the key, then strike sharply and it should fly out after one blow.

Have a second operator watch where it ends up flying off to as that's rather helpful and that way you can re-use it again and not have to purchase another one.

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Foles and BB,

When the key is stuck I usually grip the key with side cutters and lever the key up then deburr the key before using it again.

I've had really stuck keys and I have drilled and tapped them, then used a slide hammer for removal.

A few Video clips for removal.







Cheers
Max.

Attachments
Stuck Woodruffe key aaa.jpg (56.53 KB, 52 downloads)
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi Max,

I guess I've never had to resort to such measures as a sharp blow with a larger pin punch or smaller cold chisel has always gotten them out in a flash.

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,725
Likes: 220
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi BB,

Yep I've had a few stuck keys,when you give them a sharp blow on the end it just damages the end of the key
until there's no end to get a punch or chisel onto and then the side cutters cut the sides out trying to lever the
key out and then there are the keys that have broken flush with the keyway and hitting the key on each end does
nothing to move the key.

Most times the keys are removed easily it's just some keys won't move no matter how hard you hammer them
with a pin punch or chisel.

Cheers
Max.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Problem with hammering the key it expands the key making it stick harder. As long as the key is stuck in the shaft you can use a 1mm cutoff wheel in a grinder and split the key down the middle and it will fall out. Not so easy if the key is stuck in the boss

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 8
Likes: 1
Novice
Thanks BB, Max and Norm for your advice.

Due to the position of the key, and not being able to move the roller (as I could not remove the bearing), it was difficult to get to the key properly.
I first started drilling out the key in the hope that I could break the key. It did not break.
So I ended up using a Dremel tool to grind the woodruff key flat with the shaft. That enabled me to remove the remaining half of the roller, and eventually (with considerable effort) to remove the bearing.
I then went back with the Dremel and ground out the remaining part of the key. The photo shows part of the key that I extracted and the keyway.
It looks as though there is not too much damage to the shaft. Just need to order new key.

Regards
Foles

Attachments
Woodruff_key.jpg (83.21 KB, 29 downloads)
Woodruff key ground out

Celebrating 50 years of mowing lawns with my Scott Bonnar 45s

SB 17533
SB 18452
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
In the end the key is the disposable commodity of the assembly. They're cheap compared to the shaft.

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Marcus Invictus, David Hurley, Benny84, Bauma, Merro27
18,136 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,809
Members18,137
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1