Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
3 members (NormK, MowingManiac, Joe_Carroll), 296 guests, and 79 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
This could be interesting...... I’d be interested to see greenfielders spring arrangement. We might be on to something here.

EH panelvan! Now we’re talkin’ !! smile

Membership information
prd #102986 15/01/20 08:40 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by prd
This could be interesting...... I’d be interested to see greenfielders spring arrangement. We might be on to something here.

EH panelvan! Now we’re talkin’ !! smile

LOL an Ex Ambulance EH panelvan all original inside still , well the back, im missing original front seats, still have lights sirens etc for it
partway through paint and panel now but i been laid up since june with this bloody back so no progress since then

I to would like to see Greenfields evidence of springs

prd Offline
The EH sounds absolutely brilliant!! Where did you find such an original machine??

prd #102989 15/01/20 10:14 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by prd
The EH sounds absolutely brilliant!! Where did you find such an original machine??

It came from Sth Aust originally, was a St johns Country car, I got it from the gold coast from the guy who had shipped it up here,
was just luck that i got it, as it wasn't advertised as an Ambulance, it was only when i rang up about it that he mentioned it

I dont know if it would be inappropriate to post a few pics up here for you??

but here's a little teaser, sorry for those that think its inappropriate

Attached Images
IMG_5237.JPG (135.18 KB, 121 downloads)
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
I have a devious plan to solve my wheel issue temporarily,

the hub of the trolley wheels is essentially a tube with a bearing each end, my plan is to shorten said tube to allow either a collar or nut to go onto the end of the axle to retain the wheel,
ive got 3 sets of wheel to play with, so have a little margin for error LOL

prd Offline
Evening fxxxrr,

First things first! Teasing us with the siren photo is just not fair smile

We ( at least I ) would love to see more of this machine. I’m a history nut and an old car nut!

Appropriate, yes! Id love to see you start a new thread in the off topic category.

Secondly, I think I get why you mean with your wheel fix. Should work fine as a temporary fix.

Cheers,

prd #103010 16/01/20 08:19 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Evening yourself Mr prd

The wheel fix didnt work and was doomed to failure right from the word go, The centre hub is of course machine at each end to accept the bearing, it has a shoulder which it reats agaianst to stop it going further in. this would have been fine if i has a lathe, unfortunately i dont. So i had to come up with a plan B. what started as taking a second set of wheel apart to see how the hub on them was made, resulted in the realisation that the hubs were totally different, Long story short, by mixing up habs and wheel halves i was able to come up with a wheel that had a different offset and had a narrow enough hub to work with the existing axle, this will allow the Mk1 machine to stay mobile while i play with Dads machine.

I also tweaked the Carb today so now it idles nicely at a speed below which the centrifugal; clutch wants to kick in, but it also revs well, the foot pedal sits an a totally different angle to the left one though, and this hampered my attempt at a hot lap, as my "F" ed up leg and back dont work at those angles, unfortunately the back won today and i had to retreat to the comfort of painkillers before i could see if there is a way to adjust the neutral resting position. My temp seat of a few bits of wood and a cushion probably didnt help LOL

Attached Images
IMG_0121.JPG (320.58 KB, 111 downloads)
IMG_0122.JPG (306.29 KB, 110 downloads)
IMG_0124.JPG (286.14 KB, 109 downloads)
IMG_0125.JPG (277.58 KB, 109 downloads)
prd Offline
Evening again fxxxrr,

Sounds like you’re a chip off the old block! smile

Sounds like you’re innovation in solving the wheel problem is something your old man would be proud of! 10 points!

Now, the seat problem. I can help you with that. I’ve collected a few seats and seat springs from tractor model machines. They are pretty much identical to the one that would have been on that machine originally. My shout.

Cheers,

prd #103027 18/01/20 08:39 AM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by prd
Evening again fxxxrr,

Sounds like you’re a chip off the old block! smile

Sounds like you’re innovation in solving the wheel problem is something your old man would be proud of! 10 points!

Now, the seat problem. I can help you with that. I’ve collected a few seats and seat springs from tractor model machines. They are pretty much identical to the one that would have been on that machine originally. My shout.

Cheers,
LOL i do like a good tinker and problem solve when it comes to shed stuff, In some respects its more fun to try to figure out a way to do it for free, rather than buy something to do the job LOL in this instance all i need to do is buy a couple of tyres and tubes, however that would be no fun LOL i accepted defeat with the carby as i know i had no chance of delicately extracting the damaged tube. wait till you see my exhaust Hack LOL a good rummage through a scrap bin at an exhaust shop yesterday wielded hopefully enough stuff to make makeshift exhaust for either machine if not both, The muffler on the Mk1 machine is barely in 1 piece, and is rather loud, so should decide to keep it it will need something, so i have obtained a smallish car muffler which should quieten it down a lot, For Dads machine i have a rather industrial looking resonator LOL essentially an expansion tube, but will look rather aggressive sticking up like a real tractor.
Im flattered by the seat offer, I need to have a look at the neutral setting on the pedal first, cos if i cant sort that then i will have no chance of using it so no point keeping it, and it would be rather unfair of me to accept a seat only to move it on with the unit itself. although i have thought of adding some separate foot pegs and a lever off the pedal to allow hand operation, My mind sometimes works at a far faster rate than my body will allow me to accomplish maybe i can pay for the seat in stories about my Panelvan LOL ( i do have another old holden and a vintage tear drop camper as well)

prd Offline
G’day fxxxrr,

Some stories about the EH and the camper for the seat sounds like an excellent swap! smile

I’m trying to imagine an EH ambulance getting down the highway with a teardrop camper in tow! What a brilliant sight that would be.

The pedal thing should be very fixable. A couple of thoughts.

If the pedal has too much travel then the corks may need replacing and/or the pulley bearings.

If the problem is just the at rest position of the pedal then a few things could contributing:

The transmission pulley stack needs to be centred with reference to the transmission drive fork pivot. In one of your photos is looks like it may not be centred - but it’s had to tell in the photo. The whole assembly (including the shaft) can be slid on the mount bearings and is then locked in place with collars similar to the ones that hold the wheels on your dads machine- assuming it’s the same as my later machine. In fact if these collars aren’t locked tight the shaft might be sliding in the bearings and this would increase the pedal travel.

The rod from the pedal to the drive fork link is adjustable. Lengthen or shorten to alter the pedal position.

I noticed in one of the photos that you took of the springs that this rod on your machine has a significant bend in it. The older machines don’t have this bend and I’m guessing (?) it shouldn’t be there. If it were straightened this will alter the pedal position heaps?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 18/01/20 04:47 PM.
prd #103033 18/01/20 06:57 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by prd
G’day fxxxrr,

Some stories about the EH and the camper for the seat sounds like an excellent swap! smile

I’m trying to imagine an EH ambulance getting down the highway with a teardrop camper in tow! What a brilliant sight that would be.

The pedal thing should be very fixable. A couple of thoughts.

If the pedal has too much travel then the corks may need replacing and/or the pulley bearings.

If the problem is just the at rest position of the pedal then a few things could contributing:

The transmission pulley stack needs to be centred with reference to the transmission drive fork pivot. In one of your photos is looks like it may not be centred - but it’s had to tell in the photo. The whole assembly (including the shaft) can be slid on the mount bearings and is then locked in place with collars similar to the ones that hold the wheels on your dads machine- assuming it’s the same as my later machine. In fact if these collars aren’t locked tight the shaft might be sliding in the bearings and this would increase the pedal travel.

The rod from the pedal to the drive fork link is adjustable. Lengthen or shorten to alter the pedal position.

I noticed in one of the photos that you took of the springs that this rod on your machine has a significant bend in it. The older machines don’t have this bend and I’m guessing (?) it shouldn’t be there. If it were straightened this will alter the pedal position heaps?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hey PRD

Yes the Camper would look awesome behind the Ambo, I know it looks awesome behind the FX LOL

RE Pedal adjustment,
After fighting my way through the flooded turmoil of my shed this morning i managed to have a quick look, and of course i had screwed and bolted the covers back on.

The centre bit seems to move quite freely between the clutch discs and i dont think the pedal travel itself is an issue, being out of centre with the whole pulley setup does make sense though, as the Fork that pushes the centre from side to side definitely does not sit central its off to one side. if this fork was central it would go a long way to putting the pedal back where i would expect it to be. the left side is more flat, where as currently the right side is more vertical moving the whole assy over on the shaft bearings seems like a great idea, it will of course upset my magic spring adjustments as they are set to centre it where it is now not a proper centre LOL I have to drag my sorry behind to work for a couple of hours in the morning, but perhaps after that i will get a chance before my Nanna nap calls LOL
Will let you know how it goes

heres a teaser

Attached Images
fatass.PNG (878.65 KB, 84 downloads)
prd Offline
As far a behinds go......that one is absolutely gorgeous! smile

Ummmm........how many collectable vehicles have you got??

I hope you didn’t get much damage from the water in the shed. The mother in law says it’s just been bucketing down at hers. I’d have been more than happy to have had your excess rain up here. It always the way....

What do you reckon about that bend in the rod?

Cheers,

prd #103047 18/01/20 09:14 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
The bend will just make it worse if i straighten it as it stands once i centre it all maybe the bend might come into play, same as th adjustment there's not enough to fix it,
I truly think the answer lies in centreing the whole drive system

only the 2 the FX and the EH LOL and the teardrop

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Update:....

I have adjusted the drive to the centre, and as suspected the pedal is now in the same position as the left side, it was only a mater of 7mm or so move on the axle,
I have worked out why it was set where it was, the problem is this, the drive material ( cork) has worn down so now with the drive centred, the actual fork hits the pulley around the same time the drive engages, hence it was off centred to stop this happening...
Its all starting to get to hard now, I simply wanted to get this thing running do a few hot laps and then see where i went from there, i dont want to have to rebuild it all just to do a hot lap, would rather spend the time and effort on Dads machine... ahh got s bit of work on this week so won't get much time to tinker with it, which is prob a good thing as im over it currently LOL

prd Offline
G’day fxxxrr,

Wow, those corks must be worn!

Don’t lose heart fxxxrr, the feeling ya get when you overcome these difficulties is the best! Take a break from it and come back to it.

But if you are seriously fed up with it, I’ll pay good money to take it off you. Dead set.

That said, I’d rather you kept it! It’s an historic piece and I know you appreciate it......the feelings you’ve got at the moment will pass smile

Cheers,

prd Offline
Ummm, just thinking, is it the corks that are worn or some other issue-like the fork itself being worn or the bearing that the fork rides on being stuffed?

Just thinking.....

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 19/01/20 08:00 PM.
prd #103067 19/01/20 08:36 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Originally Posted by prd
Ummm, just thinking, is it the corks that are worn or some other issue-like the fork itself being worn or the bearing that the fork rides on being stuffed?

Just thinking.....

Cheers,
i dont know whats worn, its annoying me cos i just wanted to tinker and move it out of the shed and put my energy into Dads one , that's the one that i want to wok on.
i will have a better look in a few days see if i can work out what it is,

send me a PM about the old holdens and i will bombard you with pictures LOL

prd Offline
G’day fxxxrr,

PM coming for sure! smile

Cheers,

gml Offline
Greenfield Enthusiast
keep up the good work old mate,gotta love these old girls i often go in the shed and uncover my old red it makes me smile everytime! cheers

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Ok so an update

At this stage nothing more has been done, LOL it is in the naughty corner until it can behave itself

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545