Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Jeffery), 357 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Ogden power push mower
by JEH - 12/03/24 02:50 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 01/06/24 11:09 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#102737 06/01/20 04:16 PM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Hey everyone, I have aquired what i believe to be a model 1 Greenfield, I originally acquired it as parts for the ride on i already own, which as i now understand it is a model 2.
the Model 2 is significant to me as im the 3rd Gen in y family to own it after it has belonged to both my Grandfather and my Father, I hope one day to get it restored and running again so as to pass it on to a 4th Generation.
Anyway back to my newest addition, can anyone tell me what model the engine wold be so i can track down a few parts, pretty sure its a Briggs, but beyond that, any labeling is illegible, and useless.
i reckon with a good clean out of the fuel system a carby kit and a new plug and plug lead this thing would go,

Cheers

Attached Images
IMG_9980.JPG (239.44 KB, 217 downloads)
IMG_9981.JPG (317.88 KB, 218 downloads)
IMG_9982.JPG (221.16 KB, 220 downloads)
IMG_9983.JPG (253.56 KB, 212 downloads)
IMG_9984.JPG (245.43 KB, 214 downloads)
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi fxxxrr,
Welcome here,
All the early Greenie boys have been a bit quite on here recently and I don't know a lot about them but I think the early ones were fitted with the Honda engine, they seem to be chasing that motor quite often. I could be wrong, lots of odd things happened with the Greenies in the early days

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Hey Norm, My Model 2 has a Honda motor fitted, not the original one though but an adaptation, but it did have a G80 i think as its original engine
I thought the new one had a honda at first as well, but when i googled them i found some pics of ones fitted with the briggs engine and it looks like my engine so figured out that way it was a Briggs LOL
Also my family heirloom one has a Greenfield Honda sticker LOL

Attached Images
IMG_9967.JPG (130.13 KB, 198 downloads)
Last edited by fxxxrr; 06/01/20 08:16 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN

Hi fxxxrr,
prd was on here yesterday and he is probably the go to man for early Greenie info. What I would do is go to the forums, scroll down till you see the ride on mower, then click on the questions about Greenfields then scroll though it till you see a reply in the right hand column from prd and the click on that and you can pm him. This might get his attention, I'm guessing he missed this topic

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Thanks Norm for that info, I might have to go find him and pick his brain, In the mean time i have found the number of the Engine, so was able to decipher them
So i now know my Engine was built in May 1970 Ive also been able to identify the Carby, and parts should i need them, Im about to go try to make a gasket for fuel bowl
which should solve most of my problems i hope

cheers

Greenfield Expert
Gday Fxxxrr,

Your greenfield is indeed a model 1 (same as mine) lest the original engine which would have been a G40 Honda. Your Greenie looks to be in good shape and its fantastic that another early model is being preserved. I have a few questions, Would you be able to get a picture of the mower with the rear cowlings removed, specifically of the handbrake mechanism and what brand is that centrifugal clutch on the engine?

your model 2 greenfield would have come with a G65 Honda. Myself, PRD or GML may be able to help with bits for the model 2 depending on what your after however engine spares for the old Hondas are very scarce indeed.

Cheers
Greenfielder

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Hey Greenfielder, cheers for the info
heres what i know, the engine that currently in it is a May 1970 built engine
i had it fired on fuel squirted into spark plug hole , but have a carby issue, and i've successfully managed to damage the long brass tube trying to get it out of the fuel bowl, now its stuck in no mans land, cant get it out cant get it back in,
about to order a new carby from ebay
I am unable to get the drive discs to turn, they seem to be seized?? axle with wheels turns fine they just seem frozen in place, the fwd reverse mech seems to work ok as well.

here's some pics of the handbrake, which appears to be just a piece of belt pressed into a pulley by a lever. and the centrifugal clutch which i can't find any names numbers or branding of any kind.
this would have been fitted i assume when the cutting deck was removed and the mower was made into a tractor only

My Model 2 would need a complete engine for Resto as its had a later model engine fitted which does not fit under cowling, i may investigate remote mounting the tank yet.
It also needs new corks on the drive discs i think as when it was last used it required massive effort on the pedal to make it go forward even slowly, where as reverse worked fine.

Attached Images
IMG_0025.JPG (196.52 KB, 178 downloads)
IMG_0023.JPG (144.13 KB, 175 downloads)
IMG_0024.JPG (205.48 KB, 174 downloads)
IMG_0021.JPG (205.61 KB, 173 downloads)
IMG_0020.JPG (194.61 KB, 173 downloads)
IMG_0019.JPG (256.4 KB, 173 downloads)
Greenfield Expert
Gday Fxxxrr,

Thanks for those photos, that is the first complete model 1 handbrake that I have seen. Regarding the drive pulleys, the first port of call will be the bearings, its a bit of a job to do them which could involve dismantling the rear end but penetrating fluid might free them up.

I do have a complete G65 if you are interested, I will PM you regarding it.

Cheers
Greenfielder

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
ok wow glad i could show you a pic of my hand brake LOL

what exactly do those big drive discs rotate on? the axle spins inside them but soon as i push pedal either way and drive engages its is rock solid. just while pushing it, no engine running of course

I was talking to a guy called Nathan on Facebook after i pipped him to score the model 1, he was quite keen on it and seems to know a bit about them as well, thats how i found out everything i knew before i got here LOL
he mentioned he might be able to get all the parts i need for my other one, I might be open to a deal to swap all the parts i need for the Model 1, depending what i need of course, if the model 1 goes ok with a new carb, it may get put to work as a shed mule, pushing and pulling cars and trailers etc around my shed and yard

My model 2 is still buried under a tarp in a back shed area where is has been for a good 8-10 yrs, theres no rush to do that one. as its more the sentimental thing of 4 generations, so long as its goin before im pushin up daisy all will be good.
heres a couple of pics of it in its hiding spot

Attached Images
IMG_9964.JPG (136.05 KB, 162 downloads)
IMG_9969.JPG (196.75 KB, 164 downloads)
IMG_9967.JPG (130.13 KB, 162 downloads)
prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
Good morning fxxxrr, good morning folks,

What a fantastic find!!

I’m very curious about this one. Note it has the triangular section front axle pivot where Greenfielders and all the mk 2’s have a rectangular SHS block for the pivot. The only other machine we’ve seen with the triangular pivot is ......the No.2 that Lewis has! i.e. the second machine ever built!

I’m still processing what I’m seeing here but I’m suggesting this might be older than greenfielders machine and the oldest we’ve seen after Lewis’! That could mean it originally had the g30 Honda in it. That said it appears to have more in common with greenfielders machine than Lewis’ (e.g. colour, deck height adjuster, the gusset on the chassis below the engine). It’s a shame it’s been re-engined with that Briggs.

Can I please beg you for more photos?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Last edited by prd; 08/01/20 07:23 AM.
prd #102767 08/01/20 08:10 AM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Im happy to get some more photos, will have to wait until tonight, though. Is it just not possible that the Briggs is the original engine? i have seen pics on here of another with a similar engine....Not that im questioning you, it just seems to look like an original install at first glance.

if theres any specific requests for pics let me know, otherwise i will just go crazy with the camera LOL
i wish i knew where to look for a serial number or something

the more i find out about it the more excited i get LOL

Apprentice level 4
Hey mate, Nathan from facebook here.

Yep absolutely certain that engine is incorrect, Greenfield didn't fit a briggs to anything until about 73. everything early was Honda and as this one is very early would have had a G30/32/35/40 depending on what they could find back in the day.

PRD That is my thought, There is a fair few differences with Lewis' machine, but going off the fewer slots in the grill i would have to reckon it is older than the ones that I've seen. its a shame Lewis isn't still on the forum to give us a bit more insight. At the very least we know it had to be built between 66 and 67. I would liken it to an in between model, bits of the early one and bits of the next model, a lot changed over a very short time frame back then.

These early machines were never serial numbered, nor really documented in any way that I am aware of. Lewis did mention machine #1 was dismantled for the parts diagram, and I have seen the red machine manual, it was posted on this site a while ago, however it is for the more common machine like mine with the dog clutch on the deck.

The centrifugal clutch is a great idea, not original though. this machine looks like it had the clutch setup of the later ones like mine going by the post in the front of the frame.

As for you're drive not turning, can you turn any of the pulleys with the belt on? I would be suspect on the pulley that is where the deck was. if its bearings are seized nothing will turn. as when you engage forward or reverse it will try and turn the belts.

As I've said I would love to put this old girl back together, just let me know.

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Hey Nath
Thanks for the reply, and the heads up to spark my interest, Had i not had that interest sparked i probably would have just got it running and either flogged it around and bashed it up in general. now im more likely to make sure it gets restored either by myself or move it on for someone else to do.
As i said my main priority out of all of this is keeping and restoring my other one, the Mk2. as this is the one that means more to me.
given my current financial situation whatever i do needs to cost me nothing LOL
so for now i will sit back tinker for a bit see how it runs etc drag my other one out and asses it to see where im at then make a decision from there.

prd #102790 09/01/20 02:35 AM
fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
heres a few more pics

Attached Images
IMG_0029.JPG (173.37 KB, 127 downloads)
IMG_0030.JPG (273.66 KB, 127 downloads)
IMG_0031.JPG (276.64 KB, 125 downloads)
IMG_0032.JPG (199.37 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_0033.JPG (98.58 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_0034.JPG (126.14 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_0036.JPG (191.33 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_0037.JPG (231.13 KB, 124 downloads)
IMG_0038.JPG (239.24 KB, 129 downloads)
IMG_0039.JPG (243.36 KB, 135 downloads)
Apprentice level 4
Morning,

No worries, My main concern is this is possibly one of the earliest examples of the HD8, Its lasted at least 53 years so far, it would be a crying shame to see it cut up and or abused now.

Certainly looks like its had a rough life, chassis has been welded in the front end, you can tell the engine mounting isnt right, the right side is bolted through the frame! also that center pulley has been mounted in a I'm going to say artistic? way... I don't know why you wouldn't just fit a longer belt and do away with it it that is what they were going to use it for.

We are going to have to come up with a better war of identifying these early ones. I am beginning to think something along the lines of

all red machines Mk. 1 starting 1966

Mk. 1.0 Lewis' machine 25" cut
Mk. 1.1 This one
Mk. 1.2 You're other one (flat chassis, slotted grill)
Mk. 1.3 Flat chassis, slotted grill, one piece rear cowling
Mk. 1.4 Stepped chassis (to fit the bigger G65), dog clutch, Mesh Grill
Mk. 1.45 Steel deck

Then they went Yellow 1971

Mk .2.0 Standard Yellow machine (traction drive straight from engine, extra idlers for it) 25" cut
Mk. 2.1 Standard yellow machine 28" cut
Mk. 2.2 Fuji Engine
Mk. 2.3 Wide wheels, forward tilted rear guards
Mk. 2.4 HD10 (briggs and stratton)

Then tractors came about 1975-6 ish (not 100% on that one)
And I'm sure there are more variations out there!

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
LOL yes i noticed the welded front rails as well, its both sides to, first glance it looks to be in good cond, its when you start digging you notice little things, im yet to pull my other one to have a look at thatto compare, bloody things like doctors appointment, and scans and people wanting to pump ya full of stuff in a bag on a pole, The joys of fighting the big C i guess,

Nath i like your way of identifying them by stepped model numbers LOL
Im flying blind to a large extent as im not familiar with them at all, once i get the other one out and compare levels of build quality i will understand more, its possible i suppose its possible its had a cut and shut with an earlier front welded on to it, who knows, plenty of creative engineering done on farms LOL

what do you mean by flat chassis and stepped chassis?

i know my original one has an aluminium deck and it sorta looks like this new one had one as well, and they have just cut it all away and still kept the shaft and bearing and just rigid mounted it

I love digging and finding out history and info on stuff like this, bit like a treasure hunt LOL

Last edited by fxxxrr; 09/01/20 09:52 AM.
Greenfield Expert
Gday Nath,

Firstly, your numbering idea is fantastic, maybe we could get Jack to help compile a timeline of greenfields early years? there is defiantly a lack of documented history.

I do have a few considerations for your list:
My early HD8 has a Fuji and a 25" deck which would make it a 2.05 on your list,
The dog clutch your refer to in 1.4 also featured on the turbo-chute decks on the earliest red models,
Steel deck? (1.45) I am happy to stand corrected but I have never seen a red greenfield with a steel deck,
Mark 2.3, somewhere in this evolution bonnet louvers were introduced.

Regarding Fxxxrr's machine, another slight difference is that It has a rear frame fabricated from square tube where as mine is round tube.

Cheers
Greenfielder

prd Offline
Evening All,

Many thanks fxxxrr for the photos. Very much appreciated! It’s by studying all the little differences between machines that we all have been able to get this far trying to piece the model history puzzle together. Your photos will help put a few more pieces in the puzzle.

Yup, I’m curious too, greenfielder, about the possibility that they went from square tube, to round, then back to square......

The model numbering idea is good....but I don’t think it’ll work. In the first 2 or 3 beautiful years of this company everything seemed so wonderfully organic. An almost endless number of changes (and often very little things) seem to make many of the surviving machines up to the later g65 powered drop chassis Reds seemingly unique in some way or other.

And I reckon it makes sense. A small company with a fledgling product and low production numbers would be constantly making changes and it would take 2 or 3 years to settle things down.

For example:

Front axle pivot went from triangular box section to SHS to flat plate to formed plate to nested on the yellows.

Decals Changed from the motif on Lewis’ machine, to the gear motif, to the squashed diamond motif.

Transmission cover went from two piece to one piece

Bonnet went from having a piano hinge to being hinged at the deck arm mount.

The first G65 machines had the straight chassis and went later to the dropped arrangement.

Etc, etc, etc!

.........and all in two or three years!

Perhaps a photo gallery/pictorial timeline of the changes as we understand them, that can be built and improved upon over time might work. I’ll give it some thought.....

Cheers,

P.S. There was at least one photo of a steel deck on an early machine that popped up. I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited by prd; 09/01/20 09:27 PM.
prd Offline
I wish you the very best with everything fxxxrr.......and I’m not talking about mowers

fxxxrr Offline OP
Trainee
Thank you PRD, the batle goes on, Came home yesteday with a needle in the arm with atub off it and a bag and a pump, 2 days of 24hr IV infusion of Antibiotics, GRRR getting old sucks

Anyway today could be the day that i drag the other mower out, ive got a sling to throw the pump over the shoulder, and as long as the hospital in the home nurse isnt looking i might be away LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Nealy, Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta
16,805 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,655
Members16,805
Most Online2,545