Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Infus10n), 270 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Novice
Hi guys,

Ive got 2 acres 3/4 acre lawn around the house and rest is nature strip and field. Mostly flat, some rocky soil (small stones). Field can get knee high wild grass the tough stuff and Blackburn bushes. I've been using Greenfield tractor 8 and that worked but has died now.

I want a zero turn and budget 4-6K. Ive narrowed my requirement to Kawasaki engine (must) fabricated deck (highly sort after or reinforced steel deck), prefer foot pedal deck height over ride so when obstical is in thw way I can just quickly raise deck. Spindles cast iron if possible. Ztm serviceable transmission. Nice to have suspension front wheels and longest warranty.

Ive narrowed down to following:

Big dog alpha 42 well built top end of price range
Hustler Raptor ds 42 - really like the sd but over budget so might sacrifice foot deck override and go for Raptor
Rover xtl 42 not sure on specs for spindles limited reviews but made by Husky cheapest of the lot and does look a little less durable. Around 5K
Husky 242F I think it's called.mid 5 price point

What do you think? Other suggestions. I want to stick with Zero turn....a few trees etc.

Last edited by Aussie280; 26/12/19 10:01 AM.
Membership information
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Don't want to rain on your parade...

On the Hustler DS42 you will have drive problems related to the belt system if they like the Raptors that I have been servicing here. The DS42 is using the Hydro Gear ZT2800 series hydrostatic transaxles.

Problem #1 It has a 2" idler pulley that has a high failure rate cause drive belts to break. If you break a drive belt it highly recommended to replace this pulley. Just too rpms for the bearings to handle.

Problem #2 with Hydro setup is that the plastic fans will curl up hitting the side frame causing belt breakage. This is heat damage and blade are setting as they cool.

Problem #3 Hustler didn't use lock nuts for mounting the hydros and they will lose the bolts thus the hydros can nearly fall out.

As for the hydros themselves Hydro Gear does make very reliable units.

I haven't seen any deck problems but have only been servicing the three units here for the last four years. I have however seen better built decks. Definitely not a rock deck. The only other Hustler that I service is the Super Z which is nearly bullet proof deck wise; although, you would still have bearing problems.

Haven't had any experience with the other models you listed; although, I have seen one of the Husqvarna 242F here in the area.

Apprentice level 4
HI

So Big dogs come out of the hustler factory, just red and a bit cheaper. Personally I never saw any of the failures that avb has mentioned, though i left the mower game full time 5 years ago. With either one you have a more or less bulletproof deck, will go for basically ever.

Serviceable hydro's are a thing of the past, unless you are a mowing contractor using it all day, every day it is never a problem.

So Rover aren't made by Husky. Rover are MTD/cub cadet (used to be also sold as troy bilt/massey ferguson as well). Pressed tin deck and frame, alloy spindles, Chinese honda copy motor. These are for the small house yard with a lawn, not aussie grass, rocks and sticks. If you jump on a hustler for a demo, then jump on one of these you will instantly feel the difference.

Husky are the old blue dixon mowers. I dont have any experience with the new ones, the old ones were a nightmare.

Also worth considering is the Cox/Greenfield zero turns, Again I dont have much experience with them, But they are aussie built, Fabricated decks and frame.

Apprentice level 4
You could also consider John deere, My boss has one of the cheap ones and hasn't been able to break it so far. wheels are small though pretty rough ride.

There is also toro, not bad machines, still all pressed tin though

At the end of the day you cant go too wrong with any, just depends on who will do you the best deal/most warranty.

Hustler designed the raptor to compete with the toro/john deere/rover market but is still a level above.

Also you won't get front suspension until youre in the 8-9k bracket at a guess, only real options there are hustler flex forks and ferris.

Last edited by nath; 27/12/19 07:00 AM.
Novice
Hi guys, I appreciate everyones input. In relation to hydros at my price point they are all zt 2100/2200. Watched a youtube clip on rebuilding them ...pretty straight forward anyway.

After going back to Red Shed and AG, I discounted the Rover. On closer look basic in its finish. Hustler also discounted on price but I added the Toro MX4200. I liked the engine but only 3 yr warranty on frame and engine. The Husky had extended 5 yr. They redesigned the deck which was a weak point in previous model. Now has cast iron spindles which I liked and front wheel bearings and front axle (wheel pivot thing) also has grease nipples. Tick for me, easy remove foot plate cover gives access to belts in 30 seconds too. Nice feature. 21.5 Kawasaki engine 5yr warranty. End of the day I got the baby zero turn z242E. If I was to spend 6500 to 7000 then everything changes and more options. Disappointing it's a week wait until they can drop it off but cant have everything.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Now to fix the no drive on my old greenfield tractor 8 and sell it. That's been a great mower. Need front pulley/bearing that attaches to engine shaft. Does anyone know the part number?

Regards

Aussie280

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653
Members16,804