Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Just reading in todays paper about the projected collapse of SKM Recycling, Victorias largest recycling company.In the editorial it claims that we are all responsible for not recycling/repairing items instead just going out and replacing something when it breaks. We all know that most items are glued together instead of screwed etc because it is cheaper to manufacture in this way. I don't really think that a manufacturer sets out to make things impossible to pull apart, it is just that they find the cheapest way to manufacture. From what I read regarding the SKM problems it seems that once China stopped taking our waste, SKM have just become overloaded with councils dumping their recycling problem on them and then being paid $30 per tonne for the dumping of their rubbish. Something sounds really suss about all this

Membership information
Former Moderator
Yes it's merely a way of scamming more money out of us all again !

Sadly there is just way too much packaging being used by manufacturers merely to gain more shelf presence over their competitors and as such we pay for that and then have to simply dispose of it as well.

cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The owner of SKM has said he will shut the doors on his plants, destroy the machinery and 600 people will loose their jobs and that will send another 400,000 tons of material to landfill. Very clever government we have here, just sitting on their hands and expecting private enterprise to do the heavy lifting and then prosecute them when things go wrong

Junior Technician
I had a fixing moment friday afternoon, the electric lock mechanism is faulty, can lock but can't unlock.
I acidently locked it.....
Keys wouldn't unlock the only keyhole.....boot wouldn't open.
Had to drill a hole in the mirror area of drivers door and use 2 mtrs fence wire to unlock passenger door.
worked well, but It's hard to fold up 2 mtrs of fence wire when you go out....
speedy

Attached Images
IMG_20190726_160231.jpg (134.1 KB, 58 downloads)
IMG_20190726_160159.jpg (163.7 KB, 58 downloads)

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
OK speedy, I will bite where did you find out how to go about that and what do you hook it onto, the lock on the opposite door?

Former Moderator
OMG !!!!

There has to be a less destructive way of breaking into a car in today's day and age ?

I'm sure the Roadside services wouldn't be getting the Makita out now would they ???

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Usually you wedge the door frame open to get the wire in.

Cheers
Max.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I like the drilling the hole idea, just put a rubber plug in the hole and it is ready for the next time you have a problem

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Bonnar_Bloke
Sadly there is just way too much packaging being used by manufacturers merely to gain more shelf presence over their competitors and as such we pay for that and then have to simply dispose of it as well.

cheers,
BB.
This issue has bugged me since I read years ago about how Germany banned excess packaging such as those boxes toothpaste tubes come in.
Here in Australia we continue to see obscenely excessive packaging such as those blasted card and blister packs we see everywhere, that are often ridiculously larger than the item inside.
Our governments here are plainly beholden to the companies for this to continue in this supposed age of environmental enlightenment. We have to do more than replace single use shopping bags with double use bags!

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I always used to enjoy reading the paper that my fish and chips were wrapped in, often caught up on some news I had missed

Junior Technician
Hello Norm,
I hook onto the passenger door handle....... it was the only way.
You can't put a wire down as the lock knob goes flush with the door top...
Culdn't find a rubber plug, used some matching black tape, looks good.
Hi Maxwestern, mine didn't have a button on the dash. and it's hard to use a wire to undo the door you at at...... too much bend and you can't get a lever.

Yer Bonnar _bloke, RACQ may have had a better idea, I'm in it , didn't think of that. Couldn't wait.........
I'm planning on a newer car sooner or later, only 149K so it's still ok......22yrs old. but things go wrong.....
Lots of things stuff on old cars..... I'd hate to own John Laws or Clive Palmers collection.....................
I'd have a few speedy fixes..........
cheers
speedy

........................Keep your blades sharp......................
Former Moderator
Try Jay Leno's collection LOL !!!

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I had the dog step on the key 2 years ago and lock himself in - has to smash the rear quarter window as RAC said 1.5 hrs even though you have a dog in there (was out and didn't have wire)

Almost had a bit of an issue when I repaired a fan heater yesterday afternoon - it wouldn't heat on speed 1. So I ripped it apart, cleaned the switch, etc and put it all back together, and when I turned it on, it still didn't work.
I was asked if the smell now filling the room was smoke and if the thing was on fire - I said I would know if it was on fire.

5 seconds later and by the amount of smoke now I knew it was minorly on fire blush

Unplugged and ran it out the front and it went out

Turns out when I put the switch back in, a chunk of fluff got between the switch points. Cleaned that and put it back together and works great now. Wouldn't want to use it unattended - it is only used for 10 minutes at a time to bring the bathroom above 10 degrees on cold mornings smile

Former Moderator
Hi all,

I just saw a story on the 9 Network about this new movement called "Repair Cafes" which are now being run in Sydney with one being held last Sunday. (4/08/19)

These are folks that are divided up in to categories and will repair things that anyone off the street brings in.

This is all about saving things from going into landfill and also passing on old skills which seem to pretty much seem to have been lost in today's disposable society that we here on ODK must sadly endure but are also trying to avoid.

Cheers,
BB.

Forum Historian
I just saw a story on the 9 Network about a new movement called "Repair Cafes" which are now being run in Sydney with one being held last Sunday.
Umm,..
that is what this topic was originally about ... grin

-----------------------
Jack

Former Moderator
I guess so Jack, but I just thought I'd bring it up that a story about it was run on the "Nine Networks afternoon Light News Program".

Cheers,
BB.

Forum Historian
G'day BB
Yep, hilarious ... just how the Nine Network is so 'networked'.

An entertaining but sooo off-topic topic.
Many thanks for bringing it back to the original message.

--------------------------
Jack

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638