Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
2 members (Bruce, nath), 3,237 guests, and 2,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 12:44 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 11:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 10:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 02:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 07:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 03:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 11:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 09:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 08:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 07:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 09:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 03:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 11:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 11:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 10:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 11:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#92891 12/09/18 04:08 AM
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Novice
Hi folks. I've searched the database and web but can't find the nominal resistance values for testing the magneto coil.

When I spin the motor by hand the spark looks weak and intermittent. I don't have the experience to know if that is normal or if it is the reason the engine won't fire after putting it back together.

The multimeter jumps to show there is some connection charge passing and as I say there is a weak spark at times.

I'm loathed to start buying spares until I know something is dead.

I'm pretty sure the fuel is getting through as the exhaust smells of petrol after trying to start it. Do you need to prime the carburettor or is it self priming when you turn the engine over?

Thanks for the help.

Attached link to similar looking coil on ebay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ignition-Coil-Spark-Plug-Cap-Fits-GXV120-GXV140-GXV160-Honda-Engine-Models/261261358114?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/img]


Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Duncan, welcome here, we try to help. One big problem with these getting them to start is the choke mechanism is not strong enough and not well designed. I bend the lever down so when you fully open the throttle cable the choke closes fully. As for the coil, I haven't actually checked buy I would be surprised if the coil of any of the millions of thrown out Chondas out there would not fit

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 25
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Primary 2.24 - 3.13 ohms
Secondary 5.01 - 8.45 Kohms

Last edited by AVB; 12/09/18 11:30 AM.
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Novice
Many thanks.
I'll also check out the choke as I may not have got the throttle cable back in the same position. it wasn't something I thought about.
Duncan

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Duncan, adjusting the cable doesn't solve it, you have to bend the arm. You can tell if it isn't shutting by getting a screwdriver in under the lever, with the cable in the choke closed position and if you can lift the choke lever, you then have to bend the lever down. Bit difficult to explain but if you have a close look at it you should see what I mean.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 25
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
With eyesight like mine (without glasses on) you got get close enough to steal a kiss sometimes. But seriously it does takes very close look see and paying very attention to the movements sometimes.

It sorta me having to use a 10x loupe to see those clogs in those Zama and Walbro jets.


Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Grubby16, Revan, Scoona, danj, Jason92
18,145 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,145
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1