Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Infus10n), 270 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#92283 30/07/18 10:28 PM
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Hi everyone smile

Seems we have a few posts touching on the topic of Allen Scythes but maybe a lack of photo's .. I'm sure you're out there Allen Scythe owners ..

So to kick things off, this is my Allen. I've owned her for a couple of months now and have a couple of projects to get out the way before I tackle this baby, Circa mid 50's but yet to confirm when the engine comes apart.

The sickle bar is in pretty crap condition but I reckon I'll get away with a new bar and some new bolts. The engine is to be confirmed but we have spark so it can't be that tough from here on.

They're a pretty unique beast for sure and I can't tell you the amount of people who stopped by while I was changing out the tyres on my front lawn .. it was pretty funny to see everyone slow down followed by a bunch of expletives while some guy leaves his wife in the car to come gawk at the Allen.

For those not in the know, there was about 25 different attachments made for the Allen, one of them being the earliest whipper snipper I think, but I am yet to see one!

I've already been buying some spares from the UK and at this stage aI really don't have much else to buy .. just the hard slog of getting the bugger going.

Myself? I want to make a seat and cart for her so I can ponce about on the council reserve behind my house cleaning up the crap that the contractors leave laugh

I really hope we get some followers for this thread, would be great to share some restoration and running info between us and keep these great machines going.

Attached Images
eBay 1.jpg (297.64 KB, 94 downloads)
eBay 2.jpg (297.05 KB, 93 downloads)
eBay 3.jpg (330.97 KB, 93 downloads)
eBay 4.jpg (345.5 KB, 93 downloads)
IMAG4137.jpg (166.4 KB, 94 downloads)
Villiers Parts 2.JPG (48.47 KB, 93 downloads)
Membership information
Forum Historian
Hello Geoff W

Many thanks for the update on your Allen ...
and the terrific images! smile

I have been researching Allen for years, but still lack confidence
to write anything as yet. A bit more work.

I can say this:
The smaller powered sickle bar designs played an important role in lawnmower
history post WWII. This is before the rotary revolution took hold.

These were the early land clearers, that did jobs that reel mowers could not do.
They were popular here.

In Australia, the most successful sickle mowere was the Allen, followed by Mayfield,
Atco, Lloyd and others.

The Allen was successful because it was imported by Scott Bonnar.

For those not in the know, there was about 25 different attachments made for the Allen, one of them being the earliest whipper snipper I think, but I am yet to see one!
Good point, these machines were multi-use designs, later known as two-wheel tractors.

Not quite an early whipper snipper attachment if you consider nylon line as the key ingredient.
But Allen was certainly offering a small rotary scythe attachment.
I guess these were a sort of barbers' clippers, but in a rotary design.

Brilliant!

Many thanks Geoff for keeping Allen motorscythes alive here.
Please keep us updated.

Attached Images
1949_03_westernmail_24march_p18.jpg (17.46 KB, 90 downloads)
allen_sythe_hedge_grass_trimming2.jpg (23.68 KB, 92 downloads)
allen_sythe_hedge_grass_trimming3.jpg (51.48 KB, 90 downloads)
allen_sythe_hedge_grass_trimming4.jpg (45.08 KB, 89 downloads)
allen_sythe_hedge_grass_trimming5.jpg (41.29 KB, 88 downloads)
allen_sythe_hedge_grass_trimming6.jpg (39.97 KB, 87 downloads)
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Wow, nice contribution with the advertisement Jack � I've downloaded a TS manual from this great site as well as a brochure detailing all the attachments .. it's such a cool read smile

I'll totally be adding to this thread, hopefully sooner than later wink

Qualified Senior

I've wanted one of these for years. they look terrific. they seem to come up quite frequently for sale. usually above my price range though

If my collection is complete ( then how come i keep buying stuff ? ) 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Gizmo #92298 31/07/18 06:29 PM
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Yeah I hear ya mate � I was pretty lucky with this one and if I can get away with only having a $75 cutting bar and some paint to have it like and aged sort of "new" (is that even a thing??) then I still have a bargain compared to some.

G'day all,
The Old Lawnmower Club has a 1954 Allen brochure for download, with a quite incredible list [with pics] of attachments!
https://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/sites/default/files/brochures/Allen%20Motor%20Scythe%201954.pdf

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
A mate of mine bought one of these about 5 years ago, put it in his shed and has never touched it since. He was going to use it to cut his block but then bought a Deutscher self propelled

Gadge #92320 03/08/18 05:44 PM
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Hey Gadge,
Good find smile This was actually one of the first brochures I downloaded, can't stop reading it and looking at all the attachments that were once available for them.

Don't know how many made it to Australia but I'm sure if you had some container space coming from the UK, there would be some awesome finds to bring back!

Personally, I would like to build the Trailer Seat for mine so I can terrorize the neighbourhood .. best I get her running and remove the bitey end first thought I think wink

NormK � what an absolute tragedy! Your mate needs to send it to me immediately so we can rectify her working conditions lol but seriously, If he's looking to free up space, I'd always be up for a friend for my "T" laugh

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Geoff, the one my mate bought was in good working condition, but I guess the tyres would be flat by now. Downside is it is in his shed in Culgoa out past Whycheproof in the Mallee and he only goes up there a couple of times a year these days just to cut the grass

NormK #92353 06/08/18 09:14 PM
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Ah, what a bugger � space is at a premium at my place so I fully understand how some resort to off-site storage but I love the accessibility I have for sure.

Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Anyway, got some alone time with the sickle bar tonight ... that's the bulk of the crap off her, diesel wash and bench grinder treatment to go ...

New bolts ready and waiting, don't you hate it when you order 3 too few frown "New" blade will have to come from the UK as well as a Pad or 2

Attached Images
IMAG0002.jpg (159.33 KB, 43 downloads)
IMAG0003.jpg (149.42 KB, 43 downloads)
IMAG0007a.JPG (102.88 KB, 43 downloads)
IMAG0008a.JPG (110.22 KB, 44 downloads)
Geoff W Offline OP
Novice
Well the Saturday chores were done, and done well, Sunday saw me decommissioning a Victa for the first half of the day then it was time to get down and dirty with the Allen again.

Time to get her running!

Having searched for even a little spark, I already knew the magneto and points needed attention. Now, the throttle cable needed replacing and of course one needs good fuel so there was the first 2 tasks. Cable went well, carby looked pretty good once I'd getting rid of all traces of this milky pink crud that lay within.

The magneto came apart surprisingly well and having the plug out, I could already see that the timing was waaayyy out. First thing I noticed was absolutely NO movement of the points when the flywheel was rotated. Shifting the entire plate to it's closest setting brought the pad in contact with the cam.

Also found out she's a 1955 model.

In attempting to remove the HT lead to clean the connections, I managed to smash the Bakelite fitting completely .. all good, I had a spare purchased with the throttle cable but still another 30 minutes lost removing the well stuck plug residue and re-tapping the mag plate.

Points set and flywheel back on, my last job was the starter cup � flattened the threads on one of the shear bolts and snapped the other clean off at the shank � not quite the end I was hoping for but I know where I'm starting next weekend.

Filled up the gas tank, tickled the carb and 6 pulls later we have a running Allen � well, for 4-5 seconds at least �

Don't know if it is a malfunctioning governor, but continuous spark even when running down would suggest not, or possibly ongoing fuel supply issues. Can get her running tickling the carb and keeping the air filter mostly closed and when she does, she sounds crisp as a biscuit.

One happy lad, even if I do have a date with the "ezy-outs" on Saturday.

Attached Images
IMAG0030a.JPG (120.49 KB, 40 downloads)
IMAG0033a.JPG (41.01 KB, 40 downloads)
IMAG0036a.JPG (38.3 KB, 40 downloads)
IMAG0037a.JPG (86.43 KB, 39 downloads)
IMAG0038a.JPG (40.61 KB, 41 downloads)
IMAG0041a.JPG (93.12 KB, 41 downloads)
IMAG0042a.JPG (32.2 KB, 41 downloads)
IMAG0049a.JPG (73.9 KB, 41 downloads)
IMAG0051a.JPG (65.42 KB, 40 downloads)
Last edited by Geoff W; 13/08/18 10:45 PM.
Forum Historian
G'day Geoff

Brilliant!

I feel you are a natural story teller and write with such sympathy and excitement.
Members clearly like your posts and topics and hope for the next installment.

Great images to boot!

The Allen has a special place in our history; mainly because it was the
number 1 sickle mower sold here and in the UK (best guess).

The Allen has a special place in that Scott Bonnar imported them and
promoted them extensively.

These were the scrub clearers of the day, before the rotary revolution
would take hold. I guess they were a sort of half-way-house between
the reel and rotary revolutions (pun intended).

That you have a late model Allen is significant.
These sickle designs were in decline, as rotary slashers were
on the incline.

You have a changing-of-the-guard machine.

Many thanks.
-------------------------------
Jack

Moderated by  Alan M, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,653