Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Firstly, my previous Thread was: Chainsaw Oil Bottle Leaking from Filter (Hose deteriorated). Fortunately with the help of Mowerfreak, AVB and NormK, I was able to work though this, and the outcome is posted in this Forum under Chainsaw Oil Bottle Leaking from Filter (Hose deteriorated), which resulted is a great outcome.

Unfortunately, after fixing the Oil Hose issue, I ended up with another problem, relating to the Internal Chainsaw Brake Handle / Spring components etc. This issue only occurred when I had tried to refit the outer casing of the Chainsaw, as the outer casing wasn�t sitting correctly, so, I removed, the cover a few times, and then I noticed the thin steel rod that runs from the Hand Trigger through to the internal Brake Safety Handle mechanism, had dropped out of the hole where it should have been sitting. With this happening, other components weren�t able to stay in place, as the tension had been removed, that held all these components in place on the inner Brake Handle. The Spring (a very strong spring) has now dropped out from where it should sit, leaving other components dismantled. Original photos had been taken, and fortunately I know where all the components are supposed to sit, but I have an issue that I can�t work out, and it all relates to the tension, and how to fit the components/spring etc and get everything back in place.

I have uploaded Photos in Gallery, under the subject of: Chainsaw Oil Bottle Leaking from Filter (Hose deteriorated) and hopefully they will explain the issue.

In the photo most of the components are correctly in place, but the Spring is not in place, and I can�t get that spring sitting where it should sit. There are three (3) situations relating to this issue. Firstly (1) The Spring has to sit within the plastic mould (as per photo), the other end of that spring has to slot into the metal pronged component. This same component has a hole that has to drop/be placed over the metal post (colour Aqua in photo), the metal post is sitting upright in the plastic moulding of the Chainsaw. Second: (2) That same metal component at the other end has to slot into another strip like, flat piece of metal which twists around another component to create a spring recoil effect). Thirdly (3) the metal strip that leads to the Handle, has a hole in it and this has to be slotted into the the other metal post (also coloured Aqua in photo) that is also sitting upright in the plastic moulding of the Chainsaw. At this stage, everything has such tension, that it�s impossible for me to have all these components installed to enable the Brake Handle to work correctly as mentioned. The photos I�ve taken, and this explanation may help further. I�ve tried my best to try to explain the situation and the photos, hopefully will help. The Yellow dots/lines on the photos are where the spring should be placed. Your support and replies would be appreciated. Kind regards, Sherrie

Last edited by Sherrie; 24/04/18 10:27 PM.
World Wide Visitor Map
Apprentice level 2
I can't see any photos....? I have woken up and "found" the photos....

Last edited by Dieselboy; 24/04/18 08:41 PM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Dieselboy, Thanks for looking at the photos and reading the issue. Kind regards, Sherrie

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Thanks to all for your previous assistance.

I�ve just placed another Photo in the Gallery (PS. I haven't worked out how to place the photos within my actual questions, but I've been able to get them on the Gallery...mmm).

The Red line indicates the thin steel rod that runs from the Hand Trigger through to the internal brake safety handle mechanism, had dropped out of the hole where it should have been sitting.
Yellow Line and Dots, is where the Spring (a very strong spring) has now dropped out, from where it should sit.
Pink, this metal component slots into the flat piece of metal, that secures it. The flat metal, then twists around another component to create a spring recoil effect. This is the same component that has a prong that holds that very strong Spring (Yellow), that has to sit within the plastic mould.
This seems to be a difficult situation on how to get everything in place, as all components are pulling against each other to create the tension required to ensure the Safety Handle Trigger is activated.

Last edited by Sherrie; 24/04/18 10:22 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sherrie can you try and insert the pics here? it would be a lot easier no t have to hop from one section to another smile.
1. If you are using quick reply box to type in your reply, hit Use Full Editor button below on the right. You will have far more posting options which includes attachment manager. You hit that, then a little window pops up allowing you to upload an attachment (photo) from your PC and into the subject thread. As I have mentioned before, this feature has given me dramas in the past, but chances are it works properly atm.
You need to supply more pictures, preferably this way, so I and others can possibly help you work out a solution to this fiddly design.
So far, it looks like the broader end if the spring needs to be compressed and slotted into the moulded plastic section parallel to the yellow line.
If you do this, does it end up shifting the metal poles shown in aqua, making correct reassembly difficult? That's all I can work out so far from seeing the pictures. Orienting them in opposite ways makes it harder tbh. Hope you can place pictures for us in the thread.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
AVB Offline
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
To insert images to your post Sherrie you need to use the Full Editor instead of the quick edit mode but here are the link images:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now to get the spring compressed and in place may require very large pair of slip joint pliers or a modified open end wrench. Here channel locks as they various place to adjust the jaws opening. I used one or the other here installing chain brake springs on Husqvarna chainsaws.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Wow, that spring picture looks so much clearer on here. I can see that the moulded plastic slot is a lot deeper than I first thought and can see that the spring can be housed there.
Good job on getting the hoses sorted out. A great success story of thinking outside the square. That bloke at the motorcycle store is a dead set legend for how he helped you out so selflessly.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak and AVB.
Mowerfreak, the metal posts both slot into the plastic moulded chainsaw casing, and they don�t move at all. The other two components with the holes, slot over the metal posts and they pivot slightly when the Brake Handle is used. The gentleman at the Motorcycle Store, yes, he is a dead set legend, and he was busy with other customers at the same time, so this makes him even a nicer type of person. AVB, thank you for moving the photos, and hopefully I get the right area to load the next photos into this forum.
The spring as you mentioned Mowerfreak, is housed within that plastic moulding. This moulding is closed off at one end, with the end being open which enables the spring to lay in place, and allowing the metal component with the little pointy part to slot into the other end of the spring. The spring is 57mm in length. AVB, I�d tried the Split Joint Plyers, but because the Brake Handle covers most of the area where that spring is to sit, it�s impossible to get to, and also the closed off end of the moulding doesn�t allow for the teeth of the Split Joint Plyers to grip, with a similar situation the other end as the pointy component has to be slotted into the middle of that spring, leaving very little room to grip that spring.
I�ve taken more photos showing partly assembled components which shows where they should sit, getting them to all sit in place correctly is the issue. Again, I appreciate all the assistance that I�ve been given. Regards, Sherrie (looks like I'm having issues again with the loading of the photos, so it's back to the Gallery.....

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi AVB, I tried several times to load the photos within this forum, but it didn't work. I used the "Use Full Editor", but it states that my files are too big, when in fact they are very small, the screen also shows that I'm allow, 0 zero in the loading of photos, so I've had to put them into Photo Gallery again. I wonder if anyone has notified the Administrators of this forum that some people are having issues. Mowerfreak, also said he had had issues. Thanks again for putting the other photos into this forum, it made it a lot easier for Mowerfreak to view. I've also replied to the issue I'm having with internal components of the Brake Handle (above) Kind regards, Roz

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, I did that with the Full Editor, and it didn't work for me, as the system stated that my files were too big, and they couldn't be as they are so small. This is what the screen reads: File is too big (0.03 MB). Max size per file is 0 MB.

I've replied to the current issue with this chain saw and I've loaded the photos in the Gallery again. Kind regards, Sherrie.

Last edited by Sherrie; 25/04/18 05:54 PM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Sherrie
This is what the screen reads: File is too big (0.03 MB). Max size per file is 0 MB.
Not again! That's what happened with me. Honestly, this site host is plagued with quibbles. You need to notify an administrator of the problem via private message. All sections are supposed to permit photos of a limited size to be posted.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Yes, and it's happened again. Yes... that's what the screen reads !

I did notice after the photos were posted in Gallery, that when I looked at them, if you click on them they become larger and then you're able to look at a 'total of 3' per section, but they are a lot clearer when you click on them. Back to the Administrator, that's exactly what I was doing, when I returned to this forum. I've taken screen shots and explanations of all the steps I've undertaken whilst trying to get the photos loaded into this forum and not the Gallery. Hopefully they will have an answer for me, and I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Last edited by Sherrie; 25/04/18 10:22 PM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Below are the different components and the correct locations where they are supposed to sit within the Chainsaw moulded casing. 10 photos attached, that hopefully will assist in the explanation. Many thanks again.

Attached Images
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak and AVB !!

I contacted (support@outdoorking.com.au) and Bruce got back to me and has sorted out the issue, so I'm able to post the photos directly into this Forum. I had mentioned how difficult it was to view the photos within the Gallery and then return to the Forum. AVB, I also mentioned to Bruce, that you kindly copied a few of my Gallery photos and placed them within the Forum, and this was very much appreciated, as previously mentioned.

Bruce has also changed my 'time zone' so that the correct time is shown, and not 10 hours earlier in a different time zone.

Hopefully seeing all these photos together will make it easier to understand . It's amazing to think that 7 little pieces of this Chainsaw can cause such a hassle, but then again we only have to look back at NormK and the Carburettor Needle, and the problems that, that little Needle can create (only use metal needles, not the plastic ones !)

Last edited by Sherrie; 26/04/18 08:53 AM.
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Oh mate that it too hard for me to figure out without having it in front of me to have a fiddle. Perhaps a member here who has pulled these apart many times will follow. You have done a good job with the colour coded lines you have added. I think it pays to use a camera and/or jot down notes explaining each step you took in dismantling, so you have a guide on doing the reverse when reassembling. I took apart a carburettor of a Valiant Regal this way, and my notes were vital for me to put it back together. Unfortunately my attempt to clean it out didn't cure the flat spot, but at least I was able to get it back together again with ease.
It also helps to sketch a rough diagram of what goes where.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I pulled one apart yesterday to see if I could work it out but it isn't the same setup, similar but different

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, you're very switched on. Like most mechanical components they either slot in together, or have springs, that make them work together correctly. When slotting together these parts, they create a lot of tension, which is realised by the Metal Posts/Spring and recoil spring. AVB mentioned about using Split Joint Pliers, which would be good, and I have used them. As mentioned if I could compress that Spring (safely) then the situation would be solved. I know that the photos are involved, and I appreciate you acknowledging the colour coding that I tried to put together to help with the understanding of the installation of these components. I do understand the concept of this, whole thing, and I feel that, all we need to do is to work out how to compress that Spring, remembering that the spring is housed within that plastic moulding, and you recognised this factor. One end of that Spring slots into that pointy end, that looks like the head of a Duck, with it's Beak, it's that part that has to be compressed into the plastic moulding. The plastic moulding as you know has a blind end, so all we have to do, is figure out how compress that Spring.

Mowerfreak, you're not wrong: Photo's yes, they can save major mishaps, that create more understanding. I've attached (hopefully) the photo that shows the blind end of the plastic moulding where the Spring sits, and this also shows the other component, now called Duck. These parts are the ones that I need to compress, but also we have to remember that the internal Brake Handle sits over the top of this area, so can't be accessed from the top, it has to be a sideways situation to grab both areas (blind plastic end and Duck) Many thanks for your time and your reply. Kind regards, Sherrie

Attached Images
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Norm K, it's interesting to read that the one you pulled apart was different. Our Chainsaw is worth while spending the time on, and trying to get that Spring fitting in place. That's all I nee to know how to do. The rest, I'm right with. Kind regards, Sherrie

Moderated by  Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019