Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
We have a Victa 2 Stroke Tilt-A-Cut Power Edger with S90 Engine Pack. Back in August 2015, I asked for guidance with the Pulley Belt as it had broken. Your support and replies to my questions that you gave, were amazing. Hey, it’s great knowing where to go, to get the right advice and support. I’m now needing more assistance with this Edger, and looking at your Forums, I noticed a situation that sounds the same as ours, it was from QSR, Dated 27th October, 2013. Our Edger starts after a couple of pulls, but then it starts blowing a lot of white smoke, it runs for about 10 to 15 seconds, and then it cuts out. Prior to starting the Edger, I had removed the Spark Plug, which was clean, made sure there was very little fuel in the tank, and then we turned the Edger on its side (Spark Plug side facing the ground) to check the Pulley Belt and Cutting Blade. Shortly after, I noticed a dark thick oily looking liquid, very slowly dripping, and it seemed to be coming from where the Spark Plug is inserted. I’ve wiped out the internal area where the Spark Plug is inserted, ensured that everything was ready so I could restart the Edger again, but the same situation occurred, a lot of white smoke, and cuts out after 10-15 seconds. When this occurred again, I rechecked the Spark Plug and it was slightly damp with that dark oily looking liquid. I haven’t tried to pull anything apart, as I would need to see a Manual for the S90 Tilt-A-Cut Edger. I’m pretty sure that I need a new Gasket for the Victa Tilta-A-Cut S90. O Rings were also suggested, but I need to know the parts number for this item and I’ll also need to find the Manual for this Edger. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, my first thoughts are the fuel tap has been left on but the fact that you can get it to even start. My first thing would be to get one of these float needles, www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carburetor-needle-suits-Victa-2-stroke-engines-G4-LM-carbies-CR03404A/112772632612 don't waste your time with any others, they don't work. The fact you have oily stuff coming from the plug hole indicates the fuel has been left on, float needle has not sealed, fuel has flowed into the crank case and then the petrol has evaporated, leaving just the oil. You may have to leave the plug out and keep pulling it over to clear the fuel/oil from the crank. If after you have done this and you still have no joy you may have to follow the steps I have detailed in the G4 carby modifications here in this forum. See how you get on and let us know.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK I'm a novice when it comes to this. I've got a lot to learn about motors, but I'll definitely check this out and the supplied link. I sincerely appreciate your time and this information. Thank you !!! I'll be back.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Sherrie, while the carby modifications seem a little daunting if you go through the process step by step you will be pleasantly pleased with the end result and your Tilt a Cut will be a pleasure to use

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, I've been trying to locate the Carby modifications you mention, but I haven't found it as yet, but I've read a lot of your postings, very good reading and some are quite funny. I've located a Manual for the Tilt-A-Cut, on this Website, but haven't had a chance to have a look at it as yet. Thanks again for your time.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, this is the modifications they are almost identical but the G4 needs a couple of little extra things done to it. Read through it and if you have any questions just ask.

https://www.outdoorking-forum.com.au/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/82288/g4-lm-carby-repair-modifications.html#Post82288

Last edited by NormK; 05/04/18 09:42 AM.
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, Thanks for the Link - I'll check it out. Have a great day!

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK, Gee that's a feat in itself. I've got to work out how to get to fit the Calibrator Needle and where it goes. I know that sounds funny, but I've never had anything to do with motors before. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks again

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
One thing I forgot Sherrie is when you replace the float needle you should replace the "O" ring as well or it will probably leak. Easy five min job but just go steady and ask if you are not sure.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK Again, thanks for your reply. I've worked out where the Calibrator Needle is situated. I've unscrewed the screw that secures the outer Cap. That screw has a filter as part of that screw... a very interesting filter, but you would know about that. I can see the Float, the 'O' Ring and the little Calibrator Needle. I'll purchase all the parts that you have suggested, and I it's the way to go. We've had major Internet issues, and I think that this is due to the local 2018 Commonwealth Games and all the infrastructure that has had to be put in place for the Games, but this has been been going on and off for months and months. I've got good connection at this stage. Thanks NormK, and when I get the replacement parts as you have recommended, I'll be back in contact, but I'll continue to check this forum.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ok Sherrie, so far so good, with the screw/main jet and filter, put the filter up to the light, holding the screw end in your fingers and rotate it slowly and at a certain point you should be able to see through the filter, if not blow in through the small end and check again to see if the filter is clear. The next step once you get the new needle is to make sure the float will work properly to seat the needle, some primer caps are a problem, but we can work through that.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK I'm back. We also have a Victa Lawn Mower, and I had just noticed that the Primer Bulb had split on the Mower, so I removed the Primer Bulb/Cap, from the Lawn Edger (Tilt-A-Cut) and put it on the Lawn Mower. ( Lawn mower filter had dislodged, and was blocked, which I didn't realise...all good now, thanks to you! ) It's great to have this knowledge. Back to the Lawn Edger, we tried the Needle Pin (brass looking) that came with the new Primer Bulb and Cap that we had purchased for the Lawn Mower, but we still have an issue. The Spark Plug is oiling up. Each time, we've removed the Spark Plug, cleaned it, and replaced it, then it starts, but the white smoke is still occurring and she stops after about 10-15 seconds. I'm not sure how I can confirm that I've cleaned the internal area where the Spark Plug is inserted to ensure that there is no oil residue left, can you kindly advise. Many thanks again for your time and guidance.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Try tilting the mower about 45� in the direction the spark plug faces and pull the engine over briskly a handful of times to try and purge the bore of any excess fuel before putting the plug back in. Quickly wipe the spark plug hole as well, before putting plug back in.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi Mowerfreak, Many thanks for your reply. When I do this, I'm assuming that the Fuel would be turned off, I know that may sound an odd question, and your reply would be appreciated. Thank you.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, yes fuel turned off and keep pulling it over with the plug out and then put the plug back in and try again, eventually it will clear it and then it should start. The problem is the fuel was left turned on and the crappy Victa needles are not to be relied on to stop the fuel flowing and then it ends up in the crankcase. The new needle will prevent this happening again

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hi NormK Thanks for your reply, and thanks to Mowerfreak also. NormK, confirmation of turning the fuel off, I know sounded like an unusual question, but when a person doesn't know, the question has to be asked when a novis tries to work out what to do. All this information and communication is amazing. I'll do this tomorrow, and as you mentioned the Brass Needle, I'll take that out of the Lawn Mower (new Primer Bulb/Cap and Brass Needle) and give it another go, and get rid of the excess fuel that Mowerfreak had mentioned. Thank you to both of you... it's sincerely appreciated. I'll let you know how I go. Take care...

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Sherrie, most certainly best to have throttle off and tap off as Norm K said. Anything to restrict fuel flow is a good step here. It's a good habit to make sure the fuel tap is off before putting the Victa to bed, as leavingfuel flow on can flood the engine as it sits in storage.

Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
H Mowerfreak, I'm pretty sure that the fuel tap has been turned off after each time it's been used, but then sometimes people don't realise that they may not have done this, but I'll ensure that this happens in the future. Hopefully tomorrow when I have another got at getting the Edger going, it will keep going. I'll log back in and update the outcome. Kindest regards to you and NormK

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
Hello NormK and Mowerfreak, ' WE HAVE SUCCESS ' - NormK, we used the Metal Pin that you had recommended and this definitely made a difference, along with the information given by Mowerfreak. We had the Tilt-A-Cut Edger tilted on its side (spark plug side down and had removed the spark plug). We left the Edger like that for about 36 hours, and a small amount of oil did drip out of the area where the spark plug is inserted. Wiping the inner thread where the plug goes and cleaning up the spark plug again, we attempted to start the Edger - white smoke engulfed the area and the Edger ran for about 15 seconds. Repeating the cleaning of the inner thread, and the spark plug again on another 2 occasions and then we had success. The Edger kept running, no smoke, running a bit rough, but then it sorted itself out and 'it's like a bought one' as they say. Thank you to both of you, for sharing your knowledge and time. Take care, Kindest regards to you and yours.

Sherrie Offline OP
Trainee
NormK and Mowerfreak, I forgot to ask a question about the fuel side of the 2 Stoke Engines. I remember my dear Dad always saying that you should always 'turn the fuel off and let the motor run until it stops by itself'. Knowing your experience, would you say that this would still be the case, or is it better to turn the fuel off and stop the engine? I would appreciate knowing the better way to look after both our Lawn Mower and the Edger in the future. Thanks again. Sherrie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545