Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
2 members (MarkusB, bigted), 2,989 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
Novice
I live in Geraldton WA and have a mainly Kikuyu lawn front lawn.

I would like to know what height I should be cutting the lawn with my recently purchased Scott Bonnar 17"?

The lawn have recently be scalped, de-thatched and aerated as it was very soft and spongy.



Portal Box 6
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi beantin,

Height would be around 30mm for Kikuyu as it doesn't lend itself well to be a low cut like couch.

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
Novice
Thanks BB,

So basically my Scott Bonnar 17" needs to be set on my highest cutting setting and then it may still be a little on the short side.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi beantin,

I guess it's all about what type of Kikuyu you have. Is it a dwarf version or just the straight normal long bladed variety ?

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 30
Novice
BB

I am sure it is just the standard long blade Kikuyu for about 85% of the front lawns. We also have a bit of couch grass in a section of the lawn where we have a large tree that shades some of the lawn. I think the lawn should be okay if it is cut at 25mm (1") which is the highest setting on my SB 17".

As I cut it about 14mm, de-thatched it and also put some top dressing on it a few weeks ago. We are also forecast to have a good bit of rain for the next week, so it should help. At the moment the lawn is bit patchy green but I think it will be okay. I will also put a bit of baileys 3.1.1 fertiliser on tomorrow.

Cheers

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,998
Likes: 16
Former Moderator
Hi beantin,

I must admit that I've never called myself a Kikuyu expert as my forte' is couch. Personally I've always felt that the two don't play nice together in the same zone as one wants to dominate the other and the heights are different.

Cheers,
BB.


I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.

Moderated by  Bruce 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus, David Hurley, Benny84
18,138 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,809
Members18,138
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1