Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (Infus10n), 270 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 30/05/24 10:40 PM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
beantin Offline OP
Novice
I have noticed a SB 38 edger for sale locally, and would like to know it they are worth buying? It looks in good original condition and the seller said the engine is good and it works fine, but they are asking $150. I think it is a bit of the expensive side.

What things should be checked before making an offer? Are there common faults or items that give trouble on the 38? Also are the SB 38 edger reliable and easy to use?

Or has this type of edger been made redundant by the modern line trimmers, which can be used for more tasks than just edging.

Membership information
Apprentice level 2
Originally Posted by beantin
I have noticed a SB 38 edger for sale locally, and would like to know it they are worth buying? It looks in good original condition and the seller said the engine is good and it works fine, but they are asking $150. I think it is a bit of the expensive side.

What things should be checked before making an offer? Are there common faults or items that give trouble on the 38? Also are the SB 38 edger reliable and easy to use?

Or has this type of edger been made redundant by the modern line trimmers, which can be used for more tasks than just edging.

From a quick search they use the Briggs engine which are easy enough and plentiful. $150 is too steep, but anything under $80 is a good buy. The initial set up should prove reliable and provide hours of use.

Repair Junkie

Some images would help as well if you can post them. As to the pricing I agree with Millzy555 but we can get a better idea if you post images. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
beantin Offline OP
Novice
Here are some photos of the edger.

[Linked Image from i1163.photobucket.com]

I also think the value of the edger is below the $100 mark.

I would mainly like to know if the edger a good piece of kit and worth having? Also what are the common faults and problems with this model of edger? Or should I just stick to a line trimmer for my edging?

Apprentice level 2
You need to ask yourself what you need it for. Do you need an edger to do the edges? Do you plan on keeping it or trying to make a quick buck by selling it? As with anything that age, it will require a carby clean, possible a gasket kit ($10 on ebay), flush the fuel tank etc. Apart from that it should be fine

Repair Junkie
Here are some photos of the edger.

[Linked Image from i1163.photobucket.com]

I also think the value of the edger is below the $100 mark.

I would mainly like to know if the edger a good piece of kit and worth having? Also what are the common faults and problems with this model of edger? Or should I just stick to a line trimmer for my edging?

This is an example why we do not want photobucket used on the site as you will need to pay around $400.00US a year to allow your images to be seen on any website. I have sent a PM so that others can see what you are talking about.

The correct way to upload images is by using this method CLICK HERE

Last edited by CyberJack; 05/08/17 12:28 PM.

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
beantin Offline OP
Novice
Sorry Bruce.

Been a while since I have used a forum, and it looks like things have changed a bit with photobucket since I last used it.

Thanks for the link on how to upload the images correctly. Also sorry for the poor quality photos.

Attached Images
sb38.JPG (70.33 KB, 87 downloads)
sb38 2.JPG (60.15 KB, 85 downloads)
sb38 3.JPG (63.61 KB, 83 downloads)
beantin Offline OP
Novice
I would like to use it as an edger.
But would just like to know if it is a good edger compared to modern edger alternatives?
As it doesn't look very stable to me and looks slightly agricultural.
It has an appearance of being "designed in the Pub and built in a shed" shocked

But it may be a very good edger, so I would like to know what owners and users of the SB38 think of it.

Apprentice level 2
Just sharpen the blades and it should do the job. I had a cheapo mighty atom edger, worked well but would rather a scott bonnar anyday.

Forum Historian
Hello beantin, Millzy and Bruce

Many thanks beantin for using the gallery system and hosting on our server.
At 5 bucks a year we user our server space, rather than the amazing prices
being asked by popular image hosters.

I will add a few points about your posts: -

Or has this type of edger been made redundant by the modern line trimmers, which can be used for more tasks than just edging
I guess this style is better referred to as a path edger; as distinct from Line Trimmers.

Line trimmers were introduced in the early 1970s, and most of the tradition power
edger was obliterated. The line trimmers were particularly good at grass/wall boundaries,
and were much cheaper.

However the powered path edgers have survived - but more-so in a niche market.
They are much better for grass/pathways and produce a cleaner, more straight cut.

Millzy has given good advice: -
If you have a lot of pathways then the path edger is a good investment.
For most domestic edging, line trimmers are today's choice.

I'm not good at some of this, but ...
We have received no negative comment from users about the design.
It's a simple, reliable design, and easy to use.

The other good thing is that the Model 38 may be fitted with blades or wire brushes.
Blades are good for straight edges, wire brushes for curvy pathways.

Hope this helps
----------------------------
Jack

beantin Offline OP
Novice
Thanks for the Reply Jack.

I am very tempted with the edger at the right price, as I have a couple of paved paths that split my front lawn. Getting these edges looking good is hard with the line trimmer, as one slip and the edge has been chunked.
I am hoping to see the edger in the next few days, so will give it a good look over and test, then go from there. I was just interested if these edgers have any common issues like cracking which the twin frame Scott Bonnar 45 series can have. But like you say there is very little negative information circulating regarding the 38 model.

Forum Historian
Hi beantin
Many thanks.

Getting these edges looking good is hard with the line trimmer, as one slip and the edge has been chunked.
Yes, these path edgers come into their own with these gadgets.

I will add - we have no issues on record with design problems.
The friction washers [item 47] need watching. These can be made by you.

Apart from that, the usual engine checks - no engine smoking and good filter.

Here is a schematic of the Model 38 chassis.

These edgers are held in high regard.
They were amongst the top players - Scott Bonnar, Rover, Victa.

If you have the application, this will do the job.

Attached Images
sb_38_detail.jpg (356.08 KB, 62 downloads)
beantin Offline OP
Novice
Well I bought the edger for $100 and I am very happy with it. The couple who I bought it off were very nice genuine people, and explained that they had bought it 15 years ago, but never used it. They had bought a farm and was wanting the garden turfing, but the turfing company's never wanted to do the job as the farm was well out of town. They ended up laying artificial turf and made the garden beds larger.

They had also recently changed the oil and fuel on the engine and tested it before listing it for sale.

When I got home and I was very impressed with it after doing my lawn edges. Also the engine starts easily and doesn't smoke which is a good sign. The drive belt was starting to crack as it was old, so I decided to change it. Along with the belt I also changed the belt tensioner bearing, and installed the bearing onto the old shaft and also reused the outer ring which was installed on the outside of the bearing.

I also noticed that the blades were loose on the blade holder. I have also removed the blades to check out the bolts, holder and blades for wear. They all look good, but I would like to know if the blades should be tight onto the holder, or slightly loose on the holder to allow them to spin if I hit anything solid?

Last edited by beantin; 14/08/17 01:57 PM.
Repair Junkie
beantin,

It sounds like you have got yourself a good little edger. As to the blades yes they should be able to swing otherwise you could cause damage to the unit as well as what you might hit. cheers2

Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce

Forum Historian
I also noticed that the blades were loose on the blade holder. I have also removed the blades to check out the bolts, holder and blades for wear. They all look good, but I would like to know if the blades should be tight onto the holder, or slightly loose on the holder to allow them to spin if I hit anything solid?
Hello Beantin
Yep, if you have pathways, these are great machines.

The blades should be able to spin on their holder for shock resistance.
But they should not be loose.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------
Jack

1 member likes this: Bonkers

Moderated by  Bruce, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145