Need help?


Search OutdoorKing-Forum by entering Key Words Below



Who's Online Now
1 members (bigted), 1,927 guests, and 2,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Topics
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 29/09/26 11:44 AM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by FiM - 29/09/26 10:23 AM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 28/09/26 09:44 PM
Serging revs
by FiM - 28/09/26 01:48 PM
Victa Inlet Manifold Info
by Fusion27 - 15/09/26 06:33 PM
Ratchet washer
by FiM - 12/09/26 02:12 PM
Help to identify this Qualcast
by Olqualcast - 11/09/26 10:55 PM
Topic Replies
Victa Commando Keystart Governor Spring?
by Charlie Munns - 02/10/26 08:15 PM
Pulse jet carbi flooding
by maxwestern - 02/10/26 07:18 PM
Serging revs
by looktall - 02/10/26 06:24 PM
Wanted: High quality photo of H. G. Palmer badge
by MarkusB - 01/10/26 08:04 PM
service manual for a Rover Lawn King 02950/180
by Merro27 - 30/09/26 02:41 PM
How to make an old Briggs work in 6 easy months
by Bibi38 - 27/09/26 10:43 PM
Rebirthing a Honda 12 volt solenoid
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:20 PM
Power Transfer Tyre 560069 wanted
by Bibi38 - 26/09/26 10:00 PM
Long time no mow.
by NormK - 26/09/26 09:24 AM
Pics in Older Posts
by anna23 - 25/09/26 10:38 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#87305 25/07/17 07:43 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 104
Likes: 2
Apprentice level 2
Dear Masters,
I do a lot of units but have always wondered about this difficulty I have with the zip starters. Lets say I have a restoration and the zip starter is not the problem but after a complete service and clean up of the engine the zip starter slips no matter what I do to it. I know you will say to restore the fibre washers/cup/pawls etc, but that is not taking into account the fact that the zip starters are not slipping before I disassemble. I am guessing it is alignment? Am I right? How do I do it?

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Hi Christo, can't help you with this problem but I have also had this problem but I thought it was just the way they were.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 5,436
Likes: 36
Repair Junkie
****
Originally Posted by Christo
Dear Masters,
I do a lot of units but have always wondered about this difficulty I have with the zip starters. Lets say I have a restoration and the zip starter is not the problem but after a complete service and clean up of the engine the zip starter slips no matter what I do to it. I know you will say to restore the fibre washers/cup/pawls etc, but that is not taking into account the fact that the zip starters are not slipping before I disassemble. I am guessing it is alignment? Am I right? How do I do it?

You will need to replace either the starter cup or the starter pawls. Here is a link to the cup [b][color:#FF0000]CLICK HERE[/color][/b]

The starter pawls are no longer available. cheers2


Regards,
[Linked Image]

Bruce


Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums as it helps all members not just the individual.
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 8,215
Likes: 235
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
The annoying thing is everything looks to be fine with them, they just don't work

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,675
Likes: 165
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
I presume you are describing the 1970s Victa starting " system ".
They are weird in that mostly, they are drama free but you get the occasional one that doesn't want to play ball. And once they start to slip, the cup starts to get metal filings at the bottom from the pawls chewing away as the slipping occurs.
Maybe try rubbing the ends of the pawls on a grinding stone just enough to make the end corners sharp again.


Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,938
Likes: 322
Forum Historian
Quote
The annoying thing is everything looks to be fine with them, they just don't work
G'day all
The friction washers (23) do glaze-up over time.
Buffing them, or replacing them does make a big difference.

[Linked Image]

-----------------
Jack

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,675
Likes: 165
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Originally Posted by Bruce
The starter pawls are no longer available. cheers2
Glad I bought a pair twenty years ago now! Still sitting in the shed.


Ahh, if only victa had kept producing the thumblatch catcher series, they would be in better shape today!
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 104
Likes: 2
Apprentice level 2
Thanks for all the comments. I confess that I still can not understand how some of them don't need the critical parts replaced before I remove the starter from the engine. Never mind if it must be done it will be done. Cheers all. You are appreciated.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,842
Likes: 14
Moderator
G'day folks,
There are a couple of points to note, regarding these early series Zip Starters.
One is that the pawls are end-for-end reversible, when one end has worn and is no longer sharp-edged. Or just flip the pawl assembly over, for the same result.

It may also be worth trying stoning the worn edge as Mowerfreak mentions, but this may not last long, if the pawls are only case-hardened.

It's also a good idea to degrease inside the starter cup with brake cleaner or acetone, to eliminate a potential cause for slippage.

There are still a few aftermarket NOS pawl sets available through FleaBay etc; Victa P/No ST12050S finds these.


Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
October
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
sofini23, DavidMac, Outbacker, Michael D, Marcus Invictus
18,140 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums144
Topics12,758
Posts106,813
Members18,141
Most Online40,124
Apr 13th, 2026
OutdoorKing Showcase
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
20 Bucks from FB Marketplace
by Return Rider, February 20
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
Victa Cortina 2 Shed Find
by Return Rider, January 25
My Rover Baron 45
My Rover Baron 45
by Maxwell_Rover_Baron, April 16
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
SHOWCASE - Precision Mowers - 2021
by CyberJack, April 14
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
SHOWCASE – Atco Rotary – Paul C - 2020
by CyberJack, December 28
HOME |CONTACT US
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1