Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (NormK), 309 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Novice
Anyone know where we can get Bonnet catches for 1966 Greenfield. One is badly damaged and the other repairable. Barnfind has aftermarket catches on it so I cant use these.

Membership information
prd Offline
MOD & GREENFIELD TECHNICIAN
Evening geenhorn,

They are (or were) a relatively common cabinet hardware item. I'm guessing they're still available from cabinet suppliers. They might even be a Bunnings item.

I'll stooge around the interweb and have a look. I'm going to need some myself.......one day.......eventually......

Cheers,

P.S. How's to going with 'Barnfind'?

gml Offline
Greenfield Enthusiast
evening geenhorn, prd, yep bunning's have them in the hinge aisle, i got a pair for my old red

prd Offline
Cheers gml, I'll look when next I'm there.......which will almost certainly be next Saturday! Seems not a week goes by when I don't need to get something. If nothing else I always needs a sausage! smile

Novice
Cheers and Thanks for the input
I will draw up the clutch needed for barnfind and see what is involved in getting another made. What year would a tractor HD8 with full yellow paintjob including frame and cutterhousing be and it as the fat tyres with lean forward rear mudguards instead of the lean back ones on Big Red. It has a G65 Honda motor and I assume the clutch is the 2 belt on the same as barnfind.

prd Offline
G'day geenhorn,

We are a bit lacking in hard and fast dates on this stuff. Dated documentary material is much needed. But I'll give it a shot!

The 'sloped mudguard, wide wheeled' beast you describe has to be one of the last HD8's in that shape. I say 'in that shape' because it seems there was a transitional model called a HD8 that had the mechanicals of the old machines and the 'modern' cowling of the Tractor series. (Search PhippH in the search bar for one of the nicest examples to surface thus far.)

My IPC for the yellow 'Super HD8' has date references to 1973 and lists only the narrow tyres. My Tractor IPC has references to October 1977 as the time when some changes were made to the transmission. If we assume there was a transition model like PhippH's for a brief period (c1976 as PhippH suggests) then the machine your asking about is likely from 1974 to 1976??

Either way I've no reason to doubt that the clutch pulley assembly from that machine could be copied for barnfind.

Hope this helps. smile

Cheers,

P.S. I'm still collecting serial numbers for these machines in an attempt to add some clarity to the date thing. If you can share the serial number of the machine your talking about and barnfind (and ol' Red if it has one) I'd be grateful.

Novice
Hi Guys
I know more about greenfields from all the threads I read than I did when I worked for them. I will attempt to get the HD8 cltuch off the Honda G65 clutch shaft today. Its really locked on and I hope a standard flywheel puller will do it. Penetrating oil has been on for a few days now.
I will let you know if I succeed.

Novice
HD8 clutch off the Honda G65 clutch shaft was a fail. Came off easily to begin with puller but when it got to end of shaft the cast iron clutch plate cracked. The pulley had a big piece missing before the attempt so I did not ruin a good pulley. I will definitely have to have it remade.

prd Offline
G'day geenhorn,

That's a shame about the pulley. Interested to know how you get on with getting one made. Sounds like an expensive exercise unless you know someone with the machines and skills to help you out.

Cheers,

Novice
I was reading a thread on this site about an English Greenfield getting its cast iron clutch fixed. Bartrop Greenfield had licence rights to make Greenfields in England.

There were many warnings about repaired cast iron wheels exploding. I intend to make the disk out of steel and braze it to the remainder of cast iron pulley after it has been turned and milled. What do you think?

G'day geenhorn,
Yep, I'd say using the re-machined hub that way will not cause any problems. If a furnace is available, that would be a better technique than torch brazing.

The exploding wheel problem is due to the hoop stress acting on the periphery of the wheel exceeding the strength of the repaired material.

Another cause of this can be overspeeding, e.g. steam engine flywheels have been known to explode violently when the engine speed governor failed, allowing the engine to exceed its design rpm, and overstressing the wheel periphery.

This is an extremely dangerous event; the rim and spokes of a big stationary engine flywheel can have total weight in the tens of tons, and ton plus pieces have been known to fly hundreds of feet when a big flywheel has let go.

There's a pic of the aftermath of such an event in this post; https://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2252&start=1775#p100918

Cheers,
Gadge

"ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you..."

"Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid..."
Novice
I found the motor of the Barnfind with greenfield clutch plate on it. It still runs and drives a compressor. The pulley is corroded onto the shaft worse than the other was so I wont take it off motor. I have to get a Honda G65 to run the compressor and I can have the motor. I have decided to restore barnfind so I will be asking for a lot of help from you all. Thanks heaps in advance.

prd Offline
G'day again geenhorn,

Good news about the clutch and engine! G65's are still fairy easy to find. I'll keep a lookout for you.

Cheers,

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mr Davis, prd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794