Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 26/05/24 07:43 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
Topic Replies
Victa: The Triplets
by Jeffery - 30/05/24 05:19 AM
Victa Pro 550 Mulch
by Jeffery - 29/05/24 07:53 PM
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 23/05/24 01:00 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#78075 22/09/16 05:59 AM
Recycling and Repairs
Wondering if a Sanli OHV350 4-stroke, currently mounted on its original plastic Lawn Beetle frame with a 14 inch blade (?), can be remounted on an ordinary Victa 2/4-stroke frame and changeover the cutting deck plate to suit the new configuration?
In short, can I use the OHV350 as a motor on a normal mower frame with some other cutting plate, such a regular victa 2 or 4-stroke does?
The height adjustment on the plastic base is limited to 3-holes and requires manually moving each wheel to the new location.
The blade is a horrible single blade and the catcher is a bag-style.
Seems a waste of time having a narrow cut width if the motor can handle a normal 18" cute with a catcher configuration.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Appreciate your feedback.
Thank you
Daryl.

Environmentally friendly recycling at it's best
Membership information
SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Daryl, just looking at the base I think it probably would mount to another base, I assume you are thinking of an 18 inch base, you then have to fit a bigger blade carrier and removing the boss of the crank can be a problem

Recycling and Repairs
Hi Norm,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, the thought is to mount it on an 18" base suitable for most normal mowers.
I've just taken some night photos to add those above that may help further.
It's currently a 3-bolt mount to the plastic frame on the Lawn Beetle shown here:-
[Linked Image]

The plastic mounting posts are approximately 30mm-35mm high:-
[Linked Image]

The current blade cutting boss is on a keyway spline:-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Difficult to see to get more specifications of shaft sizes, at the moment, but can check out further tomorrow if it is a feasible option to do the conversion.
Cheers
Daryl

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Daryl, just for starters the Briggs bolt pattern measure about 158mm and 164mm hole centers, this will control the motor orientation on the new frame. The issue is extending the blade out to the 18 inch cut, I have my methods which I could explain to you in a pm if you want

Bushy, the engine will mount on any 4 stroke mower frame as the bolt patterns are all the same. It wont fit a Victa as they use a short shaft motor(50mm) not the more common 75mm shaft length. the other issue with most of the chondas is that they dont have the lower half moon key on the crank which limits it's use to only using the long slotted key.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Also I don't like the amount of spinning weight of the blade carrier, means it is relying too much on the crank to carry the load if you step it up to an 18 inch, but that can be overcome. Ted just as an aside I fitted a new Chonda motor on a little Stallion Greenie ride on and those holes were not the same as the Briggs, that turned into a real pain

Yes, i agree, the ride on mower engines do have different bolt patterns but in the push mower range the briggs and chonda's are the same. And yes, you're right, re-drilling the holes is a real pain if you don't have a template to work from.

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Ted, template is easy to make, sheet of cardboard across the base of the motor a punch the holes through the cardboard. Problem arises when you have to move the motor sideways to get it to fit, (carbs and exhaust are opposite sides etc) and then you have to get the position exactly right so you can get the correct tension,belt guides and belt adjustment on both belts

Norm, i'm already tired just thinking about it, lol Then there's the added bonus of trying to get the hood to fit over the top of the whole lot.ahhh

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi guys,easy conversion,here are some pics from years ago. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Qualified Senior
I've done the same conversion without any problem.

Recycling and Repairs
Hi maxwwestern and sparker.
What did you do about changeover of the cutter blade?
The current blade boss is around 45mm long and total length from motor to blade is about 75mm. The three existing blade mounting holes are 10mm approx 25mm apart.
Considering an 18" single blade to fit the existing boss as Briggs had a 350 engine, which I believe is equivalent to the Sanli OHV350, that is running an 18" cut, so I anticipate the Sanli to handle the larger single blade as well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tape measure is a little crude, but was close enough at this stage.
Thank you for your assistance. :-)

SENIOR TECHNICIAN
Bushy PM sent

SENIOR TECHNICIAN & HISTORIAN
Hi Bushy260,the one in the picture was sold a few years back,your one has a alloy hub for the blade
my one had a cast iron hub which was broken so I used a hub and round blade plate of an old Rover
because it was a few years ago I am not 100 percent sure the exact details but have done a few engine
swaps,one mower engine crankshaft had a wider half moon key so I filed the key way slot on the Rover hub about 1 mm wider then I usually use a flat round blade plate or one with a slight dish some times
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
you can turn the round plate upside down and fit blades on top side of plate to get the blades in the
correct height position or make spacers or use washers to lift the engine up from the base,I have a few
spare parts so I just grab a blade plate and check it fits.
I bolt the motor to the base,take the hub off the crank if it is the wrong height for the blade,put a
straight edge (or ruler,tape measure) across the end of the crankshaft and see if a flat blade
plate will work or a dished one or lift the engine up with washers/spacers.

Trainee
what I've actually thought of doing, is mounting that Lawn beetle engine not on a Victa chassis, but on a Sanli LCS400 lazercut yellow chassis.

Now the reason is that for some reason, I've twice now had LAwn Beetles which ran as sweetly as anything you can imagine, but the two Lazercuts I've had, and still have one, don't run anywhere near as well.The Lawn Beetle seems a lot more smooth and more economical on fuel.
the yellow chassis and disc blade gives you the advantage of a wider cut (I think it is either 16.5 or 17" on the 400, to 16" on the 350)a 4-blade disc instead of the 350s bar, and also even better, normal height adjustment that the 350 lacks.
I imagine the hub and disc from the 400 can go straight onto the end of the 350's shaft, because as I talk about in minute, both must use the same crank.

I looked up specs on those two engines btw, and also contacted Sanli Australia, and asked what the relative capacities were.
They told me the 350 is 119cc...the 400 is 135cc.

I downloaded the parts manual for both.
--the crankshaft both enegines, is same part number...which suggests same stroke.
--the piston, both engines, is same part number, which suggests same bore.
We seem to have an enigma there, until we look up the ringset part number.
the 350 and 400, for some reason, list two different ringsets.
Presumably that is --somehow-- where the different displacement comes from?
although I cannot work out how.

Last edited by BriggsHandy; 01/03/17 11:25 PM.

Moderated by  bigted, Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge, Mr Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Pete1nlancs, Ron R, catthewhde, Mypwta, Routten
16,804 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,718
Posts104,652
Members16,804
Most Online2,545
Dec 23rd, 2019