Need help?

Search OutdoorKing by entering Key Words Below

Who's Online Now
1 members (QSR), 291 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Online Spare Parts

Online Store

Newest Topics
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by MowingManiac - 18/05/24 11:23 AM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 04/05/24 05:33 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 02/05/24 04:56 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 26/04/24 07:28 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Wram - 25/04/24 06:54 PM
VC160 Motor advice needed
by QSR - 20/04/24 04:37 PM
Topic Replies
Husqvarna Rancher 50 Oil Vent
by maxwestern - 19/05/24 07:41 PM
Victa: The Triplets
by maxwestern - 16/05/24 09:58 AM
Honda GX160 only runs for a few seconds
by MowingManiac - 11/05/24 07:22 AM
Ogden power push mower
by maxwestern - 08/05/24 08:11 PM
Two hardly used chains for Ozito 18 volt chainsaw.
by MowingManiac - 07/05/24 06:50 PM
Victa Imperial Project
by NormK - 07/05/24 06:17 PM
Rover Easypush lower handle arm rhs
by Wram - 06/05/24 08:15 PM
Victa 24 F/C crank pulleys
by NormK - 03/05/24 04:59 PM
airbox to suit b&s 193707 bne
by Bruce - 27/04/24 11:31 AM
Scammers
by maxwestern - 25/04/24 10:58 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#82067 31/01/17 03:44 PM
Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
Hi guys new to the forum and fairly new to Scott bonnars. I recently purchased two sb45s one an older one piece deck and one a twin rail I'll put some photos up of them and where they are at.

Membership information
Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is the newer twin rail one. I got it not running but after a clean of the points it runs and mows quite well despite needing a reel sharpen
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Siimmo; 31/01/17 05:16 PM.
Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
The solid deck one has had a later motor put on it at some stage and haven't quite got it running yet. But the reel has quite a crisp sharp edge on it so it sure that it won't need a sharpen at this stage, maybe just a back lap ? Also I'm not really good in telling how much wear is on the chains but I'm guessing the main drive chain and sprockets will need to be replaced. I am thinking about leaving the twin rail one for now and just using it with the real out of the single deck one if this is possible ? And then giving the solid deck a bit of a tidy up. Thanks for any advice.

Former Moderator
Hi Simmo, and Welcome.

Finally good to have a Victorian on board in the Model 45 area as there are hardly any here due to a shortage of machines in that state.

Now as far as the two machines are concerned I'm going to burst your bubble and say that the condition of the Solid Deck machine is superior to the Twin Railer.

Why is that I hear you say ??

Well If I'm correct all is not good with the twin railer, I feel that it has stress fractured rails as there are small tell tale signs in the paint, yes the overall look of the twin railer is better but the underlying issues that appear in Twin Railers create quite a bit more work in the long term than the Solid Deckers.

The condition of the main drive chain and cutter sprocket is better on the older machine with the Twin Railer showing a bit more wear on the cutter sprocket.

I also note that your Twin Railer is showing signs of an ID sticker being attached in the area where the alloy ID plate is usually fitted and it certainly looks like it was like this from day one as there are no witness marks in the pre-drilled holes of rivets ever being fitted. Now if that engine is the original unit fitted and I don't see any evidence that it's not, then this is the earliest sign of the ID stickers being used that I've come across and as such I've entered it into my Model 45 timeline database.

Now before you go any further I would like you to gently unbolt the Briggs engine which incidentally was made on the 17th of October 1978, thus dating the machine as a very late November, early December assembled mower and take some really good close up photos of the rail area around the bolt mounting area after you've cleaned all the foreign matter away. Sadly I feel this may be the case as the clutch half on the engine side has been replaced as this particular part flogs out and then induces vibration which in turn creates stress fractures in the mounting rails.

When removing the engine all you'll need to do is remove the four bolts and then slide the engine along with the clutch body off the transfer shaft and sit it on a milk crate behind the rails with the throttle cable still attached at this point in time until you've finished with the photos.

I look forward to to seeing the shots and also could you please edit the photos into their correct positional orientation prior to posting them up onto the thread as that way it makes it easier for other members to view in years to come when they use these forums as a informative database for their restorations.

For now,

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
Thanks BB

Yes there certainly is a shortage. I got these two from up near Sydney.

I had done quite a lot of reading on the forums over the last few days and I was pretty sure that the twin railer was cracked that's why I included a photo of the rails. The clutch hub has also go a crack in it and will need to be replaced as well so I'm thinking the best thing for me to do now is try to get the solid deck going and use it for now and rebuild the twin rail machine.

Former Moderator
Hi Siimmo,

Wow that would've cost some serious folding stuff unless you got a mate in the logistics field.

Well it sounds like you've got a plan thought out and I'd say your right on the money with it.

Cheers,
BB.

I live a 24 Hour lifestyle, but every now and again I seem to fall asleep, well at least that's what my wife tells me.
Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
It was a case of really good timing. My parents happened to be in the area they were when the auction finished and were able to bring them home. So managed to get both machines and a rover edger home for under 200. Now I just need to get my lawns upto scratch.

Former Moderator
As we used to say in the Real Estate business, "Timing is everything" and sometimes the timing sucks and other times it's Elephants all trunks to tail.

Cheers,
BB.

Siimmo Offline OP
Novice
Hey guys trying to get the solid rail one going but can't get it too run. If I pour petrol down the carby I can get it too run for a little bit after that. I have attached some pictures Is the fuel mixture screw ment to have a spring under it ? It looks like it has been screwed too far in and the needle is missing off the end of it ? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bruce, CyberJack, Gadge 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
TastyFishes, Apple_Smooth, Snitta, Jdlu35, Kiwicat
16,794 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums145
Topics12,716
Posts104,638
Members16,794
Most Online2,545